Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kidney Stones-Only 1 Month Post-Op

I feel like I've been doing ok on the Water intake, but it just doesn't seem to be enough. I'm averaging 50 oz/day. I just wound up in the ER last night, and found out I have a kidney stone trying to pass. I will be 1 month post-op tomorrow, and I was just wondering if anyone else is having this issue? I'm definitely going to up my water to 64 oz, but it's frustrating because I feel like I'm not doing that bad with water intake.

I just got over a kidney stone last week, and the Dr. asked how much weight I'd lost. I told him, and he stated he's had a few people come through after massive weight loss in a short period of time that have had an issue with kidney stones. Said it was likely a Calcium kidney stone, the body having issues with managing the levels of calcium and Vitamin D. I looked up most of what he said, and there was research supporting his claim. I used to think all kidney stones dealt with lack of Water, but there are many other factors that come in to play.

I just got over a kidney stone last week, and the Dr. asked how much weight I'd lost. I told him, and he stated he's had a few people come through after massive weight loss in a short period of time that have had an issue with kidney stones. Said it was likely a Calcium kidney stone, the body having issues with managing the levels of calcium and Vitamin D. I looked up most of what he said, and there was research supporting his claim. I used to think all kidney stones dealt with lack of Water, but there are many other factors that come in to play.

Thank you for the response. I'm curious then, with the calcium and Vitamin D, do you think it's that we have too much or too little? My dietician put me on 1000mg of Calcium with Vitamin D a day. I'm sure I should talk to her as well.

Thank you for the response. I'm curious then, with the Calcium and Vitamin D, do you think it's that we have too much or too little? My dietician put me on 1000mg of Calcium with Vitamin D a day. I'm sure I should talk to her as well.

If you are taking a calcium supplement, make sure it is calcium citrate. It's actually best for preventing kidney stones if you get your calcium from dietary sources, like cheese or milk. Always have dietary calcium with anything containing oxalates, like spinach or almonds, bc it will bind to the oxalates and prevent stones.

Mark, how long did it take to get rid of your stone? I woke up at 4 thinking I had a strained low bak on the right side. By 7 it felt like the back and the right groin. By 730 I started vomiting. I had not vomited once since the surgery so this was scary. I didn't have anything in there so it was just dry heaving. The ER doc and staff were great and the iv torodol, anti nausea meds and the morphine were awesome. Now home the back is much better but the groin remains. I am wonding how long it takes to pass a stone and I've been reading that high Protein diets can play a role in the formation of kidney stones. Is there a good way around this? I do think that over the past few days I had not hydrated as well as I have been.

I passed my first stone last year and it took a month! Mine was a Calcium stone. I'm not sleeved yet. When I told my NUT that I had a calcium kidney stone and was told not to take calcium supplements, she said I would have to take the supplements and that my Fluid intake would need to be on the higher end and I would need to shoot for 70-100 oz a day (fluids including any liquid without caffeine) to try to avoid future stones after the sleeve.

I had the same problem a few weeks after my surgery , had 2 stones .. 1 in my left & 1 in my right .... The pain is crazy!!!!!

I was also hospitalized with bilateral kidney stones shortly after surgery. I have a history of them anyway, but I wasn't getting enough Water, but thought I was doing pretty good. Mine were also Calcium stones. I had to have a ureteroscopic stone extraction under general anesthesia to get the stone that had stuck to my ureter and ended up having bilateral ESWL's to get rid of them completely. I has been about 11 months since that adventure and I haven't had any problems since. If they offer the bilateral ESWL, I highly recommend you do it as it should get the little fragments out for good. I wish I would have done that the first time they offered it.

Good luck!!!