Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I love this and wanted to share it with everyone....

A Mediterranean Diet

Debbie Mandel, author of Addicted to Stress: A Woman's 7-Step Program to Reclaim Joy and Spontaneity in Life, says there are certain foods you can eat that will help alleviate stress. One of the easiest ways to reduce stress and be mentally and physically healthy is to follow a low-fat, Mediterranean diet, she says. Staples of the diet include:

• A lot of fruits, vegetables and other plant-based foods
  • Little red meat
  • Fish several times a week
  • Healthy fats such as olive oil
  • Wine in moderation
  • Low-fat dairy products, primarily yogurt and cheese

Complex Carbohydrates

When you start to feel low, depleted or stressed, Debbie says you shouldn't turn to a pint of ice cream. Instead, indulge in some complex carbohydrates, such as whole grains, for an immediate boost. "The complex carbs really generate serotonin [a neurotransmitter that affects chemical balance] for women," Debbie says. Some of her top picks include:

Lean Protein

Debbie says the order in which you eat your food affects your mood. To get the most stress relief, she says you should first have some complex carbohydrates, then, about 20 minutes later, have some lean Protein. Healthy lean Proteins include:

Omega-3s

Known anti-inflammatories, omega-3s also have a positive impact on brain health. Debbie suggests eating these sources of omega-3s several times a week:

• · Salmon
  • · Halibut
  • Mackerel
  • Trout
  • Flaxseed oil
  • Walnuts

Dark chocolate

A favorite of many women, Debbie says a little dark chocolate is the perfect treat when you are feeling stressed. "It really makes you more alert and releases stress," Debbie says.

Between managing your career, spending time with your family and taking care of yourself, getting through your day can be extremely stressful. Luckily, your diet can help you control that stress, Bob says. He talks with Dr. Rovenia Brock about how to reduce stress and anxiety by eating the right foods.

"Dr. Ro" says it's important to eat foods that will calm our nerves amid the chaos of our most stressful days. "I think a lot of people become overwhelmed with the notion of what it is to live healthy, to get a healthier lifestyle—including the foods you put in your kitchen," she says. "But it doesn't have to be a science project."

Stress-Reducing Foods:

• Foods rich in Vitamin B: These include clams, lentils, chickpeas and quinoa. Foods high in Vitamin B have a calming effect on the body, helping to melt away feelings of stress and anxiety and enhance your mood.
  • Papayas: Fruits and vegetables with orange and yellow pigments are generally going to contribute Vitamins A and C, as well as folate, which helps enhance the mood, Dr. Ro says.
  • Red bell peppers: These contain Vitamins A and C and folate, which help give you more energy and repair cell damage caused by stress.
  • Basil and arugula: These stress-reducing herbs are a great source of folate and add great flavor to healthy dishes.
  • Sunflower seeds: These contain vitamin E and folate to enhance your mood.

Foods to Avoid:

• Caffeinated beverages: Caffeine can cause anxiety and raise stress hormone levels, Dr. Ro says.
  • Trans fatty acids: Found in sweets like cakes, pies and Cookies, trans fats compromise the immune system, which causes more stress on the body and also increases your risk for heart disease.
  • Sugar: Sugar causes spikes in blood sugar levels, which robs your adrenal glands of their ability to control stress hormones and protect the body against stress.
  • Alcohol: Excessive alcohol consumption adds more sugar to your diet and, again, is harmful to the adrenal glands, which protect you against stress. "You might want to put the cork back in the Burgundy [when you are under stress]," Dr. Ro says.