Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Timeline questions

I see things mentioned here that I haven't noticed at the Dr./Hospital websites, such as the pre-surgical diet and other testing. I know there's some time when you have to wait for insurance authorization too. What I'm wondering is this: After you see the Dr. for the first time, what happens after that and how long is it, generally, before the surgery? Are we talking weeks or months? Just trying to get a handle on what to expect. Thanks!

It all depends on your insurance and /or if you're self pay. I had the seminar in June of this year and am still waiting! My insurance required 3 months supervised diet. Then when the surgeons office submitted it there was a wait, just to find out I was denied.....needed more medical information. Now that has been done and waiting once again! All insurance companies are different, be patient and know that if it's meant to be it will be!! Good luck, and check out all the forums on here...it really helps a lot!

If your self pay it took me only 2 weeks from the time I called till the day I had surgery. I had bc/bs and I got tired of jumping through they're hoops and self payed myself. Good luck.

The insurance hurdle can't be generalized, Stacy; it's completely dependent on your situation. Mine took almost a year to square away.

If everything in your situation is a go, and you don't need a lot of pre-op testing, you get green lights all the way and your insurer approves within a week (which is very fast), it will still likely be several weeks between meeting with the doctor for the first time and actual surgery.

My ins. approval came through 5 minutes before my surgery time. The best thing I learned on the website was to get copies of every test, result, and clearance that a doctor will send to your ins. company or surgeon. I did and it really helped getting everything through even lastg minute. It also is good to have for your records.

I went to my seminar on 11/11, I met with the doctor on 11/22 and the case worker told me that day they would begin filing my insurance and since it was right in the middle of the holiday time, they probably wouldn't get my letter out until the 1st of December. She also told me United Health Care insurance takes about 30 days. Well, today I received a call from my insurance with the news that I was approved. So it took just around 2 weeks from the time they submitted me for approval.

They are going to call me back to schedule my surgery date, however, I don't want to do the surgery until January due to finances will be available in January. So when they call me back, I'm shooting for January 18th.

I think things are moving really fast for me and just as I had hoped.

Thanks everyone!! I don't think my insurance is going to cover it. :)

Mine took between 6 and 8 weeks. I had to go to a physh eval, dietician, lab work and insurance approval. I would say that is ample time. Good luck.

If your self pay it took me only 2 weeks from the time I called till the day I had surgery. I had bc/bs and I got tired of jumping through they're hoops and self payed myself. Good luck.

Hello,

I am self payed also, how much were the pre-op labs, exams, and consults? Just want to know want to expect.

Thanks.

My insurance is paying- I called the first week in January, did my consultation and all pre-op appts 10 days later and my surgery is scheduled for 1/31... I am really really lucky though. I did not have to do any diet monitoring, sleep apnea, or anything. My BMI is 35. I didn't realize how lucky I am until I started reading this website:eek: - I thought I'd have to go through much much more to get approved.