Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sleep deprived leads to hunger

I had a late night where my sleep length was 3 hours for a demo I had to give at work today. Anyways, not only do I feel like a bad hangover all day, but I am getting the crazy carb craves!! Not giving in, but it is kind of hard. Be sure to get your sleep or you may be sabotaging yourself. It is far easy to be at ease around food when well rested. Sigh, the older I get, the less I can get away with less then 8 hours of sleep. Just thought I would put this out there in case anyone needs to hear it.

*sorry, posted in wrong forum*

Thanks for the heads up... now...go take a nap ;)

I have been thinking about this a lot! I have crazy, sporadic deadlines for work and my sleep really suffers. Sometimes I only sleep 2-3 hrs at a time, get up and work 4-5 hrs, sleep 45 minutes bc I am so miserable--etc.

I don't necessarily have more food cravings, but I SWEAR I do not lose weight no matter what when I am not sleeping enough. I think sleep is when our bodies repair themselves and that restoration supports weight loss. sometimes I also retain some Fluid in my ankles when I am at my desk too long working or don't walk enough during the day, which causes a temporary weight gain in Fluid. I seriously have a resolution right now to get 8 hrs of sleep a night.

That explains why I have felt hungrier than I thought I would since surgery. I've always been an 8 hours of sleep a night kind of girl but right now I'm averaging about 6.5. I have an 8 week old who is sleeping pretty good but from late night feedings to early morning feedings I find myself super sleepy and wanting to munch, especially in the afternoons. If only I had time for a nap! Better get up and go run around the building instead!

I know that when I'm sleep deprived, I think about the small energy burst I get from eating a high carb goodie. It's a vicious circle, eat, feel better for a few hours, crash, eat again.

I have been thinking about this a lot! I have crazy' date=' sporadic deadlines for work and my sleep really suffers. Sometimes I only sleep 2-3 hrs at a time, get up and work 4-5 hrs, sleep 45 minutes bc I am so miserable--etc.

I don't necessarily have more food cravings, but I SWEAR I do not lose weight no matter what when I am not sleeping enough. I think sleep is when our bodies repair themselves and that restoration supports weight loss. sometimes I also retain some Fluid in my ankles when I am at my desk too long working or don't walk enough during the day, which causes a temporary weight gain in Fluid. I seriously have a resolution right now to get 8 hrs of sleep a night.[/quote']

I think you are spot on in your comment. Not enough sleep causes your body to stress out and it becomes difficult to lose weight, even if not eating anything extra. Sometimes the weight just melts off when the only change you make is to sleep "enough" every night.

That explains why I have felt hungrier than I thought I would since surgery. I've always been an 8 hours of sleep a night kind of girl but right now I'm averaging about 6.5. I have an 8 week old who is sleeping pretty good but from late night feedings to early morning feedings I find myself super sleepy and wanting to munch' date=' especially in the afternoons. If only I had time for a nap! Better get up and go run around the building instead![/quote']

Yes, munching is definitely an unwanted side effect. You are probably not even hungry but instinctively keep munching when you are sleep deprived.

Not getting enough sleep also causes us to have bad judgement when driving or playing games too.....We so need our sleep... :)

I know that when I'm sleep deprived' date=' I think about the small energy burst I get from eating a high carb goodie. It's a vicious circle, eat, feel better for a few hours, crash, eat again.[/quote']

I was actually thinking about eating some cookie. It was insane. Here I am not having eaten junk for so long and today my mind wanted to slip back into old habits because it was desperately seeking out energy.

I tried extra coffee and even 5 hour energy after lunch, but *groan* it was not helping. I did get a 45 min nap in, but still feel so exhausted. I am definitely shooting for 9-10 hours tonight.

My question also was whether any supplement like amino acids could have restored some natural energy in place of getting sleep.< /p>

When did yal have the surgery I thought I couldn't sleep because I just got sleeved April 3rd

When did yal have the surgery I thought I couldn't sleep because I just got sleeved April 3rd

I had my surgery back in July 2012. In this case, it was a forced late night for a work project. However, I had sleep issues up until Month 5. I think exercise helped me sleep after month 5. I was talking a sleep aid almost every night before the exercise started daily for me. Now I can sleep pretty well without any aids.

Oh OK I thought I would prob have 2 deal with this long term thank have u had any complications with the surgery

Oh OK I thought I would prob have 2 deal with this long term thank have u had any complications with the surgery

No long term complications. There were a couple minor short term complications, but they are long gone.

No long term complications. There were a couple minor short term complications' date=' but they are long gone.[/quote']

Thanks 4 your response sometimes I get so scared and be like what in the hell did I do 2 myself and some days I'm fine I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster sometimes

No long term complications. There were a couple minor short term complications' date=' but they are long gone.[/quote']

Thanks 4 your response sometimes I get so scared and be like what in the hell did I do 2 myself and some days I'm fine I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster sometimes