Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know the Dr. says no smoking, but I want to know if anyone has smoked after surgery and if they have had any issues with there stomach now?

I know my doc requires quitting 2 months before surgery. Not to preach, but if you can go a few months without it, why go back to smoking?

Smoking inhibits blood flow and healing. Before any elective surgery the doctor will require quitting smoking for a period before and after the surgery until you are fully healed.

I had surgery in Mexico and wasn't required to quit smoking. I've not experienced any bad effects from it. Smoking is certainly not recommended and I'm not advocating it. Just saying it isn't bothering me personally.

Most Mx surgeons I spoke with during my research asked me if I smoked (not for 8 years this July) and would have required me to quit at least a month preop if I was still a smoker.

Thankfully, smoking is but a memory I prefer not to revisit.

I guess it depends on te doctor. I know my doc does some test during preop blood work the week of surgery and will postpone the surgery if it shows you still have the chemicals in your body

I have been smoke free for 5 years now. I guess I am worried about being around it. My husband started smoking again and I worry about the smoke. Not only breathing it in, but wanting to start back up. I had my surgery on 2-26-13. Thanks for everybody's input.

I currently smoke and im only 3 weeks out. I know I need to quit period. My doc said aside from blood flow and healing smoking can actually cause put a hole in your stomach.

Its hard to quit and I wish you and myself many prayers to help us kick this.

I've. Been smoking 2 weeks out . I am now over 3 months out. I'm still alive lol

Going on 6 months smoke free and don't miss it!

I quit just over five weeks ago. Used chantix and still using it for maintenance. I took my blood nicotine test at three weeks and cleared it. The doc said he would still do surgery but lectured on the issues related to it. I feel so much better and don't want to go back but admit there are times that I really want one. I have cheated only twice and it was directly related to stress. Luckily I have two little ones who have no problem keeping me in line.

Most Mx surgeons I spoke with during my research asked me if I smoked (not for 8 years this July) and would have required me to quit at least a month preop if I was still a smoker.

Thankfully, smoking is but a memory I prefer not to revisit.

The Mexico doctors I spoke with specifically asked about smoking too.. Even though I had checked "no" on the questionnaire, I was still asked again by the doctor at the hospital and warned not to smoke post surgery.

I know the Dr. says no smoking' date=' but I want to know if anyone has smoked after surgery and if they have had any issues with there stomach now?[/quote']

I quit smoking a month before surgery! When I go home 4 days post op I started to smoke again. There was so much stress, having to cook for my family, dealing with head hunger and not having anything to comfort myself I chose a cigarette. There have been times that I have freaked myself out about it, but so far I am ok. I try to limit what I smoke. I'm not saying you should, but if you do definitely listen to your sleeve and make sure you are feeling ok.

I quit just over five weeks ago. Used chantix and still using it for maintenance. I took my blood nicotine test at three weeks and cleared it. The doc said he would still do surgery but lectured on the issues related to it. I feel so much better and don't want to go back but admit there are times that I really want one. I have cheated only twice and it was directly related to stress. Luckily I have two little ones who have no problem keeping me in line.

so you passed after only being 3weeks smoke free?

Do they do a good test to check for smoking?