Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the hardest part for you?!

Whatsoever you mean by head hunger? Like your not really hungry it's more of a metal thing like a habit ? If you do snack what do ya snack on ?

Head hunger is crazy. You don't realize how much you grazed til after surgery. Head hunger is not real hunger. I could've just eaten and want something 15 mins later. It's important to put your eating on a schedule of some sort. Like only eat when it's planned. Not because you're bored or just want to eat. I plan out 3 meals and 2 Snacks. It's what works for me. My head hunger is getting better but there are times like when it's that time of month I want to eat off plan. Basically if your stomach growls and it's been a while since you ate you probably really are hungry, but if you just ate 30 mins ago and want something it's probably all in your head ;)

Hope that helps.

My biggest fear is failure. And I'm not talking about 6 months post op. but it seems whenever I get close to the goal that I get complacent and never lose those final 20 pounds. An that eventually opens the door to regaining everything.

Of course the anesthesia scares me a little but I have faith that I will be ok in that perspective.

As long as you go into this surgery fully prepared and understanding that your biggest fears may become real, you'll do fine!

As for me the hardest thing for me was overcoming hot flashes and the emotional roller coaster. Also had I realized I became lactose intolerant and that the Protein powder I was using had milk, I would have turned the corner a lot sooner! :)

Good luck

Nana, can u tell me more about your hot flashes? I'm on day 4 and I've been going through some type of hot flash/nausea spells. They occur right before its time to take pain medication. The experience lasts about 10-15 minutes while the medicine gets in my system. I have to turn off every thing and lay still with my eyes closed. I put a fan on me to help. Sometimes, i get a cool cloth for my face. Curious what experience you had? Is it still happening? Anything that you found that helped?

Biggest fear was FAILING AGAIN (I have been very successful)

Hardest thing, well, there were a number of things but I think that fact that i don't like to drink plain Water anymore is weird and bothers me. It is better now, I can actually tolerate it now, but i still don't love it and i used to love just good ole plain Water.< /p>

Getting to a normal size has been worth it though!

Some things I wish I knew before surgery: I actually freaked out because I felt like I wasn't getting enough calories. THIS IS NORMAL...and just make sure to keep drinking the Water. It can feel extremely heavy on my stomach, so adding things like propel, crystal light, other other flavoring has helped a lot. I never thought getting Water would be so difficult, but just keep trying and each day will get better. I also have had a hard time sleeping (apparently side effects of pain meds, anesthesia, etc.) I also had some nightmares and would wake up extremely cold and soaked in a cold sweat. I was not expecting any of this, and of course, each person is different. My advice is it does get a little easier each day and just keep talking to other people who have had it...it does make you feel better and no so alone. My other thing I have been struggling with is what to do when I'm not eating. I used to always eat when I was bored, and I'm trying to find something to keep me focused. One can only watch so many TV shows.

I'm day 6 post-op, and I am starting to feel a LOT better, mentally and physically. I can't believe how awake I am even though I'm only getting 3-400 calories. I took Tylenol PM to help me go to sleep last night, and that seemed to help pretty well.

It's going to be a huge change, but just take it day by day, and once you start feeling better, you will be doing great! I hope the surgery goes well with NO complications. =)

I am having VGS surgery on April 26. My biggest fear is the fact that all of me and my husbands socializing revolves around meals and eating out.(which is why I'm fat)

I am worried about the life style change for both of us. I am also worried about the flabby skin and Hair loss but I can deal with that when the time comes. Right now I have such mixed emotions, mostly excited but nervous that something will happen to me during surgery and my kids will suffer.

My biggest fear early on was a leak. After I got past that, I did, and still do, fear that this won't work, that I'll slip back into bad habits, that I'll never get to goal.....or worse, that I will and won't be able to maintain it. The hardest thing for me is teaching myself discipline. I do get hungry, but I don't have the continuous drive to eat, eat, eat. I used to graze all the time, and I knew going into the surgery that was habit I needed to break. So far, so good, because I'm not hungry all the time and food is not longer in the forefront of my mind. I know myself well enough that I'll go to my grave fighting that battle, but I just want to win it :)

I am having VGS surgery on April 26. My biggest fear is the fact that all of me and my husbands socializing revolves around meals and eating out.(which is why I'm fat)

I am worried about the life style change for both of us. I am also worried about the flabby skin and hair loss but I can deal with that when the time comes. Right now I have such mixed emotions, mostly excited but nervous that something will happen to me during surgery and my kids will suffer.

I know how you feel! I am the only one in my household that has a weight problem, and my boyfriend and daughter are both very blessed that they can pretty much eat anything and not gain a pound. I have to keep telling myself, that this is a decision I made for myself, and I cannot expect them to completely change their lives just because of me. I will not be upset with them when they are eating, but I know that I want everyone to eat better, so once I'm able to eat everything again, I plan to cook good meals so we can all eat the same thing. I am not much of a cook, but I think I may actually enjoy it if we all start eating better and I know they are healthier on the inside! They are both very supportive and actually feel bad when they are eating, but that's the last thing I want for them. Granted, it's taken a while to feel like this, but it will be ok. They love YOU and want to be around for YOU, not just all the meals that come with it. I just think socializing around food is such a norm, that it's hard to imagine what you're going to do in place of it, but just give it time, and that will unfold.

Thank you Stefanie, I will keep that in mind. I am very excited to have this done and my husband is very supportive. I do however have 2 teenage daughters that are not quite as supportive. They don't understand why I would take a surgical risk when I can diet and exercise.

Yes, that's a hard thing for a lot of people to understand, especially your kids because they worry so much. It's just difficult to know what it's like unless you're living it. How the brain and hormones work when you are overweight constantly fight with you is so difficult. You get to the point where you just feel hopeless and no matter what you do, the pounds keep coming on. I originally did not want to get the surgery because I felt like I should be able to "do this on my own." The truth is, I just couldn't. This is by no means an "easy way out," but it is a way out. The way I look at it, is my family would suffer so much more if I had to have other surgeries like knee replacements, open heart surgery, etc because of being obese. I believe when you are overweight, surgery is almost inevitable at some point of time in your life. Atleast this one has a great outlook and will allow you to live your life to the fullest!

Nana, can u tell me more about your hot flashes? I'm on day 4 and I've been going through some type of hot flash/nausea spells. They occur right before its time to take pain medication. The experience lasts about 10-15 minutes while the medicine gets in my system. I have to turn off every thing and lay still with my eyes closed. I put a fan on me to help. Sometimes, i get a cool cloth for my face. Curious what experience you had? Is it still happening? Anything that you found that helped?

My hot flashes started the 1st night in the hospital. The nurses put ice packs on the bottom of both feet and neck. They were god awful for 2 1/2 mos. Thank goodness I had the surgery in the winter, I would go outside in the middle of the night, rain or not just to help cool off. I would wear slip on sandals to the store because I would have to take them off quickly and walk on the cold linoleum. My reg doctor told me that some of her female patients that took Pristiq for depression were telling her they helped with hot flashes. So that is what did the trick for me! I can relate with the fans my poor husband would be freezing when sitting on the love seat with me and I would have the big old fan right in front of me blowing full force :) Nausea got a whole lot better when I switched to lactose free Protein shakes. Hang in there hopefully yours will be over soon!

Biggest fear was FAILING AGAIN (I have been very successful)

^^ This^^

...I'm still in charted territory, meaning I'm losing weight that I have lost before. But since the surgery isn't end all-be all, it is very easy to eat around it and get right back to where you started. This is my biggest fear. I don't worry about what I don't get to eat, because I can pretty much tolerate anything. I haven't had a problem with any particular food except eggs and that is okay now.

Eating very sloooooooowy

^^ This^^

...I'm still in charted territory' date=' meaning I'm losing weight that I have lost before. But since the surgery isn't end all-be all, it is very easy to eat around it and get right back to where you started. This is my biggest fear. I don't worry about what I don't get to eat, because I can pretty much tolerate anything. I haven't had a problem with any particular food except eggs and that is okay now.[/quote']

Ditto!

Scary, scary, stuff!