Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been overweight since age 16. I recently got married and found that my husbands insurance will cover WLS. I have been going through the motions to move forward with the surgery. I still question if this is right for me. One question that keeps going through my mind is this.... If I haven't been able to do it in the past, how am I going to be able to do it in the future. I have started and failed so many times. Heck, I have trouble getting through one day of being on a diet. Doesn't the insurance company know that if I could do a supervised diet for six months, I would lose weight? I understand this has to be a lifestyle change. Any support, motivation, prayers ect would be appreciated. I just feel kinda lost. Thanks

The surgery is a tool to help you stick with a healthy diet. It takes away your ability to eat large quantities at one sitting. And it helps most with their hunger issues. Or if you feel hunger, you can take a few bites to feel full again. If you think these tools might be useful to you and can help with long term success, then surgery might be a good option for you.

If you think it will be difficult to fill your sleeve with the healthy items it needs to do it's job for you, then maybe consider putting off surgery until you are more ready. Note: I have NOT been sleeved yet, but I feel that with these tools in my favor, I will have much better success!

As far as the 6 month diet goes - mine did not specify that I had to lose weight. My doctor was focused on making very small changes... adding more Water and Protein. Adding in some exercise. Etc. Some months I lost a few pounds and some I didn't.

No matter what your decision is, I wish you luck!!

If you haven't done it yet, go to a free seminar. I had already made the decision before attending one that I wanted the surgery, but attending made me even more convinced. A lot of us have the same fears/questions you do. I truly had to try harder than I ever had before to hold back my tears when hearing the stories and actually seeing people in front of me that have been through it and now they look amazing. Then, people asked the questions I had running through my head. It was definitely an eye opener that it is possible and confirmed even more that I wanted to do this.

I have been overweight since age 16. I recently got married and found that my husbands insurance will cover WLS. I have been going through the motions to move forward with the surgery. I still question if this is right for me. One question that keeps going through my mind is this.... If I haven't been able to do it in the past, how am I going to be able to do it in the future. I have started and failed so many times. Heck, I have trouble getting through one day of being on a diet. Doesn't the insurance company know that if I could do a supervised diet for six months, I would lose weight? I understand this has to be a lifestyle change. Any support, motivation, prayers ect would be appreciated. I just feel kinda lost. Thanks

Hi

I think you are doing the right thing, and it is very normal to have a bag full of feelings and emotions. I wrote this a few weeks ago, and you might find it helpful. I am always here if you need anything.

Hey are you trying to make up your mind about having Weight Loss Surgery?

What is the scariest part about having Weight Loss surgery? The UNKNOWN is the biggest factor about having weight loss surgery for most of us. We know that we have failed in one way or the other at trying to lose weight from our past experiences. We may have lost it, to only regain all the weight back again. Then we beat up ourselves up emotional because we feel we have failed at another attempt of weight loss AGAIN. I have been just where you are right now. You are sitting out there trying to figure out if weight loss surgery is going to work for you?

Well, I want you to know that I am in my 60’s, and I had tried for at least 30 years to lose the weight on my own after having two children. I could lose it, but I would regain it back again. I felt like such a failure. Here are the things I know for a fact now. I had an addiction to food, and I had a disease. If you went to the doctor, and he said you have a disease, and we have a cure for you, you would do it right away. What are you waiting for this is your answer to have WLS.

For me, my cure was weight loss surgery. It is NOT the easy way out. It requires work and effort on your part! It is the tool that allows you to get to the right weight for you and to keep it off. You will make lifestyle changes in how you eat and what you eat. You will need to do the same thing for the rest of your life, and it is so easy to continue to live like this. Do I feel deprived? NO, not at all; I eat healthy and I have yummy things to eat. I eat small amounts of food and feel good about what I am eating. I do treat myself to some desert now and then. I have also learned to bake some great deserts that are health things that I can eat and are very yummy. You will always have to watch what you are eating.

This is NOT a miracle cure. I also exercise. I walk for my exercise 3 to 4 miles, but I sure didn't start out walking that much at first. Some people don’t exercise. I used to be the person who hated to exercise; now I really enjoy it. Here is the best part about have WLS, I never feel hungry!

So if you are sitting out there contemplating having weight loss surgery, I urge you to make the choice to save your own life and have a whole new life as a thin and healthy person. If I can do this, so can you. I am always here to answer any and all of your question if you have any! You are slowly killing yourself with food and a fork!

Hugs Suzanne

Fears about failing also racked me, and still do a little. The thing that help me a lot is that my surgeon has a extensive support system in place. I the form of weekly support meeting lead by a therapist. I am guy so I am not comfortable talking about any thing close to being a emotional subject, but I found myself in a community of like minded people. This has help me a lot

Thank you. I will look into a support group.

Thank you so much for your response. It made me think. I do not want to die. I now have 5 grandchildren and another one on the way. I will be retiring the end of this year. So I do have a lot to live for.

Hi

I think you are doing the right thing' date=' and it is very normal to have a bag full of feelings and emotions. I wrote this a few weeks ago, and you might find it helpful. I am always here if you need anything.

Hey are you trying to make up your mind about having Weight Loss Surgery?

What is the scariest part about having Weight Loss surgery? The UNKNOWN is the biggest factor about having weight loss surgery for most of us. We know that we have failed in one way or the other at trying to lose weight from our past experiences. We may have lost it, to only regain all the weight back again. Then we beat up ourselves up emotional because we feel we have failed at another attempt of weight loss AGAIN. I have been just where you are right now. You are sitting out there trying to figure out if weight loss surgery is going to work for you?

Well, I want you to know that I am in my 60’s, and I had tried for at least 30 years to lose the weight on my own after having two children. I could lose it, but I would regain it back again. I felt like such a failure. Here are the things I know for a fact now. I had an addiction to food, and I had a disease. If you went to the doctor, and he said you have a disease, and we have a cure for you, you would do it right away. What are you waiting for this is your answer to have WLS.

For me, my cure was weight loss surgery. It is NOT the easy way out. It requires work and effort on your part! It is the tool that allows you to get to the right weight for you and to keep it off. You will make lifestyle changes in how you eat and what you eat. You will need to do the same thing for the rest of your life, and it is so easy to continue to live like this. Do I feel deprived? NO, not at all; I eat healthy and I have yummy things to eat. I eat small amounts of food and feel good about what I am eating. I do treat myself to some desert now and then. I have also learned to bake some great deserts that are health things that I can eat and are very yummy. You will always have to watch what you are eating.

This is NOT a miracle cure. I also exercise. I walk for my exercise 3 to 4 miles, but I sure didn't start out walking that much at first. Some people don’t exercise. I used to be the person who hated to exercise; now I really enjoy it. Here is the best part about have WLS, I never feel hungry!

So if you are sitting out there contemplating having weight loss surgery, I urge you to make the choice to save your own life and have a whole new life as a thin and healthy person. If I can do this, so can you. I am always here to answer any and all of your question if you have any! You are slowly killing yourself with food and a fork!

Hugs Suzanne[/quote']

Suzanne,

Thanks for this reply! I am about to hit my 60's and couldn't agree with you more. I am almost done with my prerequisites but have to do a series of workshops in May. I have a job that requires me to walk alot and just lately my knees are killing me. This is what sent me over the edge in my decision! I want to be able to go places and walk!! I can't wait for surgey!

I too am going to hit 60 this year. I have gotten to the point that it hurts to walk.