Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh...the doubts!

Sherilynn,

I think we can all remind you of why WE chose/are choosing the band, but no one, not even you will know the outcome (so sorry to hear about your cousin Tricia) so it's important to be comfortable with your decision.

One of the reasons that I want the band rather than bypass is the fact that I don't want to just lose weight, I want to be healthy. You can eat junk food with both surgeries but since with the bypass you don't absorb as many calories I felt I would use that as an excuse to continue eating the same types of food as before. I want to HAVE to chnage my eating choices to make a significant difference. You CAN be thin AND unhealthy and that's not what I want for myself.

I also like the slower weightloss factor because 1)may allow the skin to shrink along with the weight loss better than what the bypass would allow and 2)Honestly I think I'll have to answer less invasive questions with the weight coming off slowly. 1-2 lbs a week is easier to explain as "eating less moving more" than is 50 lbs in one month.

I do want to say to Tricia though, please don't ever blame yourself. Your cousin made the choice to have the surgery and if she hadn't heard about it from your experience she would have found out about it some other way. She chose the SAFEST of the two surgeries and my heart goes out to you and your family that she passed away. My sincerest condolences>

It's not about weight as much as it is about health. You have plenty of time to loose weight with the band

Amen!

I was a successful bandster. I would never consider the bypass. I would be obese for the rest of my life. Bypass for me is way to risky too many possible complications and side affects from it. I had a friendtell me the other day he was having the bypass after seeing my success the entire way with the band. I asked him why would he have the bypass and take the risks and deal with dumping and malabsorption issues for the rest of his life when he can have the band. His answer was the success rate was quicker with the bypass. Quicker is not always better. Most bypass patients I know look unhealthy, pekid, flabby and suken in faces because of the rapid weight loss. Not to mention the higher risk of gaining the wieght back after the 1-2 year window of opportunity once their pouches are stretched out. Just my opinion. Go with your gut, listen to your heart. DO not let anyone deter you from your choice what ever it is.

Tricia, I am so sorry for your loss. I know its really hard for you right now, but you can't blame yourself for what happened to your cousin. Kare is right, there are risks to any surgery. Of course that doesn't make you mourn her any less.

For those of you who have lost weight slowly and those who lost it more rapidly, how much are you excerising? I'm wondering if the rate of weight loss has to do with the amount you excerise as well.

I can say I'd rather had lapband than gastric bypass. I went to a GB seminar and walked out of there knowing I'll never get that surgery-talk about restrictions! Ironically, the doctor's staff who gave the seminar is the same doc who did my gallbladder removal.

I know several people have already responded to the "quicker is not better" aspect of your concern. I will say I completely agree with what they have said and add that with time comes the opportunity to change bad habits and to deal with why some of us overeat. Bad habits take time to change!

Also, you mentioned concern over your new lifestyle. That was my BIGGEST concern going into this. I wanted to eat like a normal person. I can say happily that I do!! Only DH and two friends even know I had the surgery. I have gone out to eat several times with people who don't know I'm banded and they still don't know. I simply tell them I am trying to eat better!!

Good luck

I lost 100 lbs in one year. Is that quick enough for you?

Sure, bypass folks lose faster. They also have a high indication for regaining after one year because the stomach relaxes. My dr says if you have only so much weight that you can lose it in a year, then fine, do a RNY. If, like me, you have more than a year's worth to lose, then the band is a better option as it is adjustable for a lot longer.

Either way, you are going to lose weight. Don't let speed be the deciding factor. Let what is best for you help you choose.

Dear Tricia,

Wow. I never expected to read that scenario in your post. I am so sorry to hear of your cousin's death. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.