Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Dr. Ramos Kelly experience..long.

Long flight from Virginia. We arrived a day early at San Diego. I called Lora who seemed very sweet and was told Alina was picking us up. She was helping out as CeCe (Dr. Kellys wife) was at a sport competition with their son for a few days. Alina showed up, very nice and spoke very good english. The hospital wasnt going to be ready for a few hours, so Alina took us to grab a quick bite (broth for me)and gave us about a 4.5 hr tour of San Diego and TJ. Filling in history and telling us about the country. She's very pleasant and friendly. My mom and I really enjoyed the day.

Arriving at florence, everyone was friendly. It was clean, a bit dated as others have said, but adequate. My room was functional. I got the room others spoke of with the cafeteria trash view. Lol Some other rooms have a nicer view. It felt a little less private with the guys spraying down and dropping trash there in the evenings, but still it worked. Im not one to need plush or hand holding so the amenities and equipment were fine.They ARE renovating Florence, so I expect future patients will see rooms more up to date.

Dr. Kelly came in that evening to meet me. I can't speak more highly of another physician. He is very personable and caring. Willing to explain and answer all questions. I didn't feel uncomfy at all and actually felt completely at ease with him.

Next day: I have horrible veins, but they got it started on the 2nd try. Surgery at 10. There were alot of surgeries there due to Illan and Garcia now using the facility, but Kelly only did 3 that day I think, me being the first. It was quick..joking with the anesthesiologist and surgical team one minute, woke up in my room the next.

First day was rough. I've never been put under, and my reaction to the drug was nausea. I threw up on and off the first day, even with nausea meds, but NEVER had pain. Kind of a funny spasm or tight feeling under the diaphragm from the gas, but not pain. I walked as much as possible and slept. The nurses were nice and most spoke atleast some english. Anna and Sara were especially sweet. Communication wasn't a problem.

Next day..Vein blew, and many attempts over the day for IV access not their fault really, my veins had run for the border. Finally got it in late afternoon. I was better, up walking, going outside and so ready to leave the hospital. Barely feeling like I had anything done. I met several other patients including other VSTers and the support and camaraderie amongst us was really cool. Almost like we knew eachother. : )

Saturday...Leak test at Angeles Hospital..this is a modern, very nice facility. The dye was horrible, no lie..have some sugar free gum available for afterwards to get the taste out....then off to Hotel Lucerna. Wow. Beautiful is all I can say. I will stay again when I go back to visit TJ. The hotel broth isnt bad, its a standard broth. The menu for guests is good. Popsicles are comforting. But the restaurant across the street (Casa de Mole..I think)is amazingly good both for broth and guests. I was rarely in my room, but out wandering and walking.

Alina picked us up Sunday and we went shopping in the market place for a couple hours and rode along the beach area which was crowded due to spring break. I got coconut Water still in the nut, it was refreshing, hydrating and gave me a bit of variety. I managed atleast one 20 oz gatorade a day and some water(small sips constantly in hand), 2 tblsp chicken broth at dinner if I set my spoon down for a moment between bites..maybe 4 tblsp over a 30-40 minute period. Even today, 5 days postop, I feel no hunger and I feel great.

Dr. Kelly checked in everyday, even at the hotel and took the time to connect and chat. I really liked him and will visit in the future. I am very happy with my choice. With surgeon, coordinators,facility..I would do it exactly the same again.

CeCe picked us up on Monday, stopped for coffee across the border and we flew home with no issues.

I really enjoyed my stay and my experience.

Best of luck in your own choices and journey.

• Thank you for sharing. I'm currently contemplating going with Dr. Kelly. (It is between him, and the slightly more affordable Dr. Lopez-Ortega). Best of wishes to you, a speedy recovery and a substantial loss!

I'm glad you were comfortable at florence, your experience sounds a lot like mine what with nausea and blown veins. Isn't Sara awesome?

Thanks so much for your detailed review, I know it helps people decide.

Hooray for you. I'm glad your experience went so well. The lone bad thing about Mexicali? No ocean.

Hey I'm glad your doing good! Remember me? I was in room one at Florence:) how are you now that your back home?

Hey! Yes I remember. Im doing great. Still not feeling hungry, good on fluids. No pain or discomfort. Down 14# as of yesterday. How r u doing?

Doctor Kelly is the best!!!! Don't hesitate. He is so qualified, trained and educated (in USA) in high risk bariactrics. Look no further.

I'm doing fantastic! No pain, I'm not that great on fluids I'm going to have to try harder!! I'm down 26.5lbs since my highest weight which was March 14th the day I started my preop diet. I feel pretty fabulous:)

I'm doing fantastic! No pain' date=' I'm not that great on fluids I'm going to have to try harder!! I'm down 26.5lbs since my highest weight which was March 14th the day I started my preop diet. I feel pretty fabulous:)[/quote']

That's awesome!!! Keep it up! I've been drinking coconut Water. I've found it easier to sip all day and is very hydrating.

That's awesome!!! Keep it up! I've been drinking coconut Water. I've found it easier to sip all day and is very hydrating.

Good idea!

Just an update..Dr. Kelly stated that my sleeve is small..not sure if my 5'0 stature had anything to do with that. I can eat about 1.5 oz of dense protein..chicken salad, shrimp ect. I can drink fine, but maybe 4 oz at a time with a couple breaks inbetween to finish a 12oz shake. I used to love cold water..no more. My favorite thing now is hot Decaf teas. I was a coffeeholic and smoker presleeve, now have a weird aversion to both. (good on the smokes lol). I can drink coconut Water easily, but I watch the calorie intake from it. Working on finding a no cal flavoring I can handle. I even tried Hint waters..ewww.

Im averaging about 50-60 grams of Protein a day and improving my routine and intake daily. I feel great. Started work 10 days postop with no problems.

Im not quite 3 wks out, but down 23#. Im happy with that so far. Overall, I was blessed with an easy recovery. Hope all those Easter sleevers are doing as well.