Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stop having so many damn kids; population control, anyone?

Thanks for posting that, Wheetsin. The mentality still pervades. There is a big abortionist in CA who says he would set up a clinic for free in Mexico if it would stop all the illegals from having so many kids and bringing them into the US.

As a conservative/libertarian, I support a woman's right to choose anything she wants -- I have a problem with anti-prostitution laws, for example -- unless and until it involves another human being. That's where I become pro-life, because the baby is not her body.[/quote]

Are you referring to a pregnant prostitute?

Thanks for posting that, Wheetsin. The mentality still pervades. There is a big abortionist in CA who says he would set up a clinic for free in Mexico if it would stop all the illegals from having so many kids and bringing them into the US.

As a conservative/libertarian, I support a woman's right to choose anything she wants -- I have a problem with anti-prostitution laws, for example -- unless and until it involves another human being. That's where I become pro-life, because the baby is not her body.[/quote]

Are you referring to a pregnant prostitute?

Sorry; I think my syntax may have confused you. I was saying I am so libertarian and so in favor of women -- people in general, actually -- having control over their own lives that I even have a problem with anti-prostitution laws. The reason I am a libertarian AND pro-life is because in the abortion issue, there are two people at stake (the mother and the baby) and if the mother "chooses" to abort, she is interefering with the personal freedom of the other person involved.

Charles Colson's InnerChange and Fellowship Ministries. Backed by te Federa Bureau of Corrections. For one.

Or the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, and its agency centers incuding the ACF which has granted money to faith-based organizations incuding Catholic Charities of Kansas City - St. Joseph (this one hits close to home, I live in Kansas City), Black Ministerial Alliance of Greater Boston, Greater Minneapolis Council of Churches, Holy Redeemer Institutional Churh of God in Christ, Cristian Community Health Fellowship...

Charles Colson's InnerChange and Fellowship Ministries. Backed by te Federa Bureau of Corrections. For one.

Or the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, and its agency centers incuding the ACF which has granted money to faith-based organizations incuding Catholic Charities of Kansas City - St. Joseph (this one hits close to home, I live in Kansas City), Black Ministerial Alliance of Greater Boston, Greater Minneapolis Council of Churches, Holy Redeemer Institutional Churh of God in Christ, Cristian Community Health Fellowship...

Thanks...I haven't heard of those other than the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives.

Can you give an example?
Here are some:

abstinence-only sex ed

faith-based prisons

funding for church construction

religion-based substance abuse treatment programs

government funding of Salvation Army and Boy Scouts, among other discriminatory organizations

In short, I believe that any initiative or organization that is faith-based, whether Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. has no business receiving funds from the government.

Why do you people worry about poor people scamming the system? Any poor person who does manage to get away with this stunt will never, ever cheat the system of anywhere as much as those corporate swindlers whom we all treat kindly.

I write a check every time I go to Mass, plus they have a food bank and we donate to that - probably around $15.00 worth of food per week.

My DH insists we give to all the veteran's groups and the police/sheriff depts.

We donate to the American Diabetes Society (DH has Type II), the March of Dimes, and the American Cancer Society.

And every time I am at a store or restaurant where they ask for a dollar for some cause, I always say "yes". One dollar to me is nothing, but many people giving a dollar each can make a difference.

Here are some:

abstinence-only sex ed

faith-based prisons

government funding of Salvation Army and Boy Scouts, among other discriminatory organizations

In short, I believe that any initiative or organization that is faith-based, whether Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. has no business receiving funds from the government.

Is there such a thing as faith-based prisons?

Why do you people worry about poor people scamming the system? Any poor person who does manage to get away with this stunt will never, ever cheat the system of anywhere as much as those corporate swindlers whom we all treat kindly.

Amen....and some of those bastards literally ruined other people's lives. Show me a welfare mother who caused one single retiree to lose out on a pension.

Here are some:

abstinence-only sex ed

faith-based prisons

Okay...Thanks for posting these.

Thank God you didn't name the Girl Scouts. Those girls rock and we sold Cookies for $$!!!

Dang, and you named the Salvation Army......What did they do? And not the substance abuse treatment programs. What did they do? Help someone knock their crack habit..

I write a check every time I go to Mass, plus they have a food bank and we donate to that - probably around $15.00 worth of food per week.

My DH insists we give to all the veteran's groups and the police/sheriff depts.

We donate to the American Diabetes Society (DH has Type II), the March of Dimes, and the American Cancer Society.

And every time I am at a store or restaurant where they ask for a dollar for some cause, I always say "yes". One dollar to me is nothing, but many people giving a dollar each can make a difference.

I am the same way. I don't make a lot of $$, but I try to do what I can do. If I wasn't so busy with school and work I would volunteer more.

These are probably the same people complaining about welfare or their friends....They are going to look out for each other.

Is there such a thing as faith-based prisons?

I found a little information online about them. There's an article on ABCNews and Dateline. It sounds like more people are being rehabilated & becoming more productive members of society.

Although, I am anti-Bush(es) it can't be any worse than what we have now. One prison, Lawtey, even practices 28 different religions.

I'm not a muslim or an atheist, but if they can do something to help these prisoners great!!! Why not give them a crack @ it?

Here is something from one of the sites:

"Prof. I would like to make an eye witness comment to this issue. I have been a vounteer in the prison systems in the state of Florida for over four years. I go in as an instructor with Prison Fellowhsip (a Christain organization.) In fact one of the prisons I go into has one of the six faith based dorms you refer to.

I know there is a thin line between church and state and I respect that line. That is why all relgious activities are a choice for the inmates to attend, even the faith-base dorms. The biggest surprise I found was that if the volunteers from faith community did not go in there would be very few people going to help these men and women. People want to yell seperation of church and state when comes to helping those in need, but no one wants to get their hands "dirty" and jump in to do the work. So who is left - the faith community.

Guess what? It WORKS!! No secular program has had the success of the faith-based facilities. Frankly, I want to stop the cycle of crime. If that means inmates finding faith that keeps them from committing a crime again - Who cares."

If that means inmates finding faith that keeps them from committing a crime again - Who cares."

Oh, I sooooooo agree with this guy! I am from the "whatever works" school. If rubbing cow manure on my extra arm flab would make it disappear, you can bet your sweet ass I'd be shoveling me some cow poop tomorrow! And if people feel called to work toward rehabilitating prisoners, I say "go for it". Can they do much worse than the system we have now?

Oh, I sooooooo agree with this guy! I am from the "whatever works" school. If rubbing cow manure on my extra arm flab would make it disappear, you can bet your sweet ass I'd be shoveling me some cow poop tomorrow! And if people feel called to work toward rehabilitating prisoners, I say "go for it". Can they do much worse than the system we have now?

:clap2::clap2: :clap2: