Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stop having so many damn kids; population control, anyone?

Last night I watched "The New Adventures of Old Christine". Anyone watch that? It was a particularly funny episode. Christine is a self-proclaimed environmentalist who makes a big deal out of driving a Prius. Her car is in for repairs so she has to rent another. The only thing the rental company has left is a tricked-out SUV. She objects, but then relents but only with "no leather seats." Her brother comments that she has a nice collection of "free-range shoes and belts at home." (She ends up loving the SUV despite herself.)

My point was that we all have our own level of comfort with our own lifestyle choices. I suspect most of you own cars (not necessarily the most environmentally friendly thing in the world) and go through your share of to-go food in styrofoam containers. It is not for me to judge your choices, nor for you to judge mine.

Every election, our city has one or many anti-expansion, anti-development measures. I always vote against them. Would I like it more if everyone moved out and I had the beautiful landscape to myself? Of course I would. Would it be hypocritical of me to be the last one to enter and then lock the door behind me? Absolutely, yes it would. And therefore I don't do it.

As to snark, I live for it. Snarkiness is the spice of life.:)

I fully support tax breaks for such things.

OK, I have an idea. I was surfing the web a few months ago looking for a modest bathing suit for my 9 year old (a relative gave her a string bikini for her birthday, but that's a whole other thread) and I came across an Amish website. One of the products they were selling was a reusable pad for women who are menstruating. My first reactions was, "Wow, women still use these things? That's a little gross." But then I realized that it wasn't for me to judge, and I'm sure they have their reasons.

So instead of using disposable sanitary napkins that are thrown away and fill our local dumps, maybe some of the women on this board could test out the ones you rinse out instead? If anyone wants the link, I'd be happy to hunt for it.

I am tripping on the fact that someone gave your 9 year old a string bikini.

I guess I am going to kill the Earth!! Reusable sanitary pads sounds disgusting. I know the point of using a washer is to wash, but it still seems unclean. I don't have any kids, but I don't know how people wash diapers. What do you do when they have diarhea:eek: ?

So instead of using disposable sanitary napkins that are thrown away and fill our local dumps, maybe some of the women on this board could test out the ones you rinse out instead? If anyone wants the link, I'd be happy to hunt for it.

Re-usable pads sounds like a great way to spread infection, such as bacterial vaginosis and yeast. Why would anyone use those when they could use biodegradeable tampons like this:

http://www.mamasearth.com/feminine_care.htm

or biodegradable diapers like this:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/12/gdiapers_the_ne.php

There are plenty of earth-friendly options out there that are neither disgusting nor inconvenient.

Or is it just more fun to be snarky about it?

I wish they could make these products more afordable or convenient to purchase. Maybe then more people probably would.

For a 14 pack of maxi pads w/wings w/shipping is over $12.00!!! :faint:

I am tripping on the fact that someone gave your 9 year old a string bikini.

Yeah, I did too. I kind of threw me the other way, though. I bought some very cool modest bathing suits because of it. And it spurred all sorts of discussions in our house about modesty. So it was actually a good thing to have happen. I guess the fact that someone gave it to her isn't all that unusual in California, though.

I guess I am going to kill the Earth!! Reusable sanitary pads sounds disgusting. I know the point of using a washer is to wash, but it still seems unclean. I don't have any kids, but I don't know how people wash diapers. What do you do when they have diarhea:eek: ?

Growing up, I had a best friend who's mother grew up in Europe. She told a story about how they used menstrual rags and washed them out every night and hung them on the line. Everyone in the neighborhood knew when a woman was having her period because of what was on her laundry line.

There are a lot of things that we consider disgusting that were matter-of-course not so many years ago. I'm not saying I don't consider it disgusting (I do)! I'm just saying our opinions are tainted by what we're used to. There wasn't such a thing as disposable diapers when I was a baby. Now, most people wouldn't even consider giving up that convenience, even though cloth diapers, even through a diaper service, are cheaper.

There was a time when large families would inhabit single-room houses, or houses with only one or two rooms. Now it's an offense to the sensitivities of some that 18 children inhabit 3 rooms. I'm sure for those children it's what they're used to and they're fine with it. And, again, who are we to judge? What we know is not necessarily the only norm out there. In fact, it's probably not even close to the norm.

Growing up, I had a best friend who's mother grew up in Europe. She told a story about how they used menstrual rags and washed them out every night and hung them on the line. Everyone in the neighborhood knew when a woman was having her period because of what was on her laundry line.

There are a lot of things that we consider disgusting that were matter-of-course not so many years ago. I'm not saying I don't consider it disgusting (I do)! I'm just saying our opinions are tainted by what we're used to. There wasn't such a thing as disposable diapers when I was a baby. Now, most people wouldn't even consider giving up that convenience, even though cloth diapers, even through a diaper service, are cheaper.

There was a time when large families would inhabit single-room houses, or houses with only one or two rooms. Now it's an offense to the sensitivities of some that 18 children inhabit 3 rooms. I'm sure for those children it's what they're used to and they're fine with it. And, again, who are we to judge? What we know is not necessarily the only norm out there. In fact, it's probably not even close to the norm.

My mother is 56 and I know she said that's what they used to do. I don't know if they just didn't have disposables back then or if that was just normal in the country. I'll have to ask her.

To each is own, it just couldn't be me. I am willing to do a lot, but stuff I deem disgusting, I just can't do. Personally, I would rather not have to deal w/the whole female issue @ all, but that's life!!!

1) They are going back up, not sure yet about the menorah. News in 15 minutes.

2) Paper plates?!? W-T-F-!

3) In my sex-ed class (5th grade) we watched "Silent Scream". I doubt a scarier pro-life film was ever put together. Wonder if the PTA was in on that little tidbit?

1) They are going back up, not sure yet about the menorah. News in 15 minutes.

2) Paper plates?!? W-T-F-!

3) In my sex-ed class (5th grade) we watched "Silent Scream". I doubt a scarier pro-life film was ever put together. Wonder if the PTA was in on that little tidbit?

I think they're back up without the menorah.

How long ago were you in 5th grade? I'm surprised they showed you Silent Scream. Was it a public or private school?

Did anyone watch O'Reilly Factor tonight? I don't typically watch it because he's too pompous, but someone called me and told me to turn it on. He was interviewing a woman who had had an abortion at age 14 from Tiller in Kansas. He basically just let her talk about her experience. You can watch it online at http://www.foxnews.com/oreilly/index.html (click on "Ex-patient of abortion doctor speaks out" on the right-hand side under "video" in blue). She was 20 weeks along (Tiller will abort up until the day of birth) and she describes the 5 day process of her saline abortion, culminating in her being dilated enough and the clinic having her sit on a toilet and push her dead baby out into that toilet. It's quite eye-opening, especially for those who believe abortion isn't legal through all 9 months of pregnancy, or who believe that there are no emotional after-effects from the procedure. I know some of you won't click on it and watch it because you believe it to be pro-life rhetoric. Instead, it's the actual experience and aftermath of someone who went through it.

She was 20 weeks along (Tiller will abort up until the day of birth) and she describes the 5 day process of her saline abortion, culminating in her being dilated enough and the clinic having her sit on a toilet and push her dead baby out into that toilet. It's quite eye-opening, especially for those who believe abortion isn't legal through all 9 months of pregnancy, or who believe that there are no emotional after-effects from the procedure. I know some of you won't click on it and watch it because you believe it to be pro-life rhetoric. Instead, it's the actual experience and aftermath of someone who went through it.

I'm sure this is a sad story and it's a shame this woman went through it. The question I have is why did she wait so long? (I'm sorry, but I can't watch the video right now--maybe the question is answered in the report?)

But in any event, why, no matter how awful this experience is for her or any other woman (and I had an abortion myself, so I know whereof I speak), does anyone conclude that it should therefore be someone ELSE'S decision? I'm not picking on you, gadgetlady--you may not think this way at all, I don't know--I just don't understand the leap from "abortion is sad and painful and hard" to "let's outlaw it."

The only way to decrease the incidence of abortion is to decrease the incidence of unwanted pregnancy. Period.

Leatha, what that doctor did to you was unconscionable. THAT, of course, was and is illegal. I'm so sorry you have to remember that. :)

My abortion was early, reasoned, safe, and I have never felt any negative emotional repercussions. The alternatives would have been much worse.

I just clicked on this thread, and haven't read the entire abortion part, but abortion is one of my only big hot buttons.

I am totally totally anti-abortion.

I do think that it is murder,

I don't think it is the woman's right to choose to murder another human being.

I do think that it is ok for the government to step in and make a law to ban it when women are too ignorant and selfish to realize that they are murdering another person.

I am not all for big government, but when it comes to the wellbeing of innocent people that have no way to protect themselves, then I am all for it.

What if a woman had a child and the baby is now about a year old, and she decides that she can't be a mother, she doesn't want a baby, it wasn't in her plans, ect. ect. So she kills it. It's murder. She would be sent to prison, she took the life of a beautiful child.

there is no difference if the baby is inside of her. That baby had a soul and a heartbeat before she even knew she was pregnant. How could anyone, anyone human person justify murder?

But as a society we say, "well, it is a woman's right to choose, it's her body! blah blah blah. It's not her right to choose to kill someone, sorry but it's still murder no matter where that baby is living. That's right the baby is living in the womb, it shouldn't be sentenced to death because someone made a mistake and didn't feel like taking responsibility and took the cowards way out. To commit a murder.

If you get pregnant, and don't want it, give it up for adoption. Give that life a chance, you were given one.

You know, I used to be pro-choice, until I had my son. Since his birth, my views on abortion have totally changed. This is all it took. The birth of a child. I don't agree with abortion for myself, but will not bash anyone who does. I do wonder though, how many pro-choice, pro-abortion people have kids of their own? And how many of those who have had abortions, have had children before the abortion? I know the abortion issue is a very hot topic that will cause a lot of debate. I am just curious(sp?).

On a side note, I have a sister who has had several abortions. It seems to be a form of birth control for her. For those of you who are for abortion, do you believe that there should be a limit on the amount a person has? I love my sister, and I do not bash her for her choices, but she seems to think nothing of it. She has had FIVE...

there is no difference if the baby is inside of her. That baby had a soul and a heartbeat before she even knew she was pregnant. How could anyone, anyone human person justify murder?
Because not everyone believes in the soul. Keep in mind that as real as it may be to you, it's nonsense to someone else. When you get into the legality and science (medical and I guess legal) there are divergent definitions of "baby", and there are divergent definitions of "murder".

The only way to decrease the incidence of abortion is to decrease the incidence of unwanted pregnancy. Period.

If abortion is not for you, don't have one, period. I just can't see being FORCED by the state to remain pregnant if you don't want to be. But like you said Alexandra, DECREASE THE UNWANTED PREGNANCIES! People need education and BC availibility. I hate to say this and burst anyone's bubble, but outlawing legal, safe, and available abortion will NOT stop people from having non-procreational sex. I have a son that was VERY, VERY planned and still think women (including myself) should have control over their own bodies. I don't know how someone can be judged if you are not in their situation. I in NO way think it s/b used a BC (like my ex-family member who had 6, that we know of), but she's a plain moron to begin with.

:clap2:

No, there was no ultrasound done. This man simply acted on his own, while he had me on the exam table. More interestingly, he was a general surgeon. In a small rural town. I simply went to him to consult him about my options. He never even explained to me whether I had a choice. I guess he assumed I had made up my mind. So, right there, on the table, he punctured the membranes AFTER he said the baby was not alive. I was 19 yrs old and not nearly as smart as alot of 19 yr olds think they are.

Basically, this man made my decision for me, right there, in his office. Once the membranes were punctured, I had no choice, no turning back. The deed was done. In fact, he bragged that he had done the same thing for his wife more than once. I wanted to believe that he could actually tell the baby was not growing. He was the Dr., I had never been pregnant before. But now, I know that this man caused me to spontaneously abort. And no, no one was ever told. I carry that burden, because I put myself in that place, but yes, he should have been reported.

As for the size of the fetus. If I recall, they told me it may have been a little farther along than they first estimated and one of the recovering nurses plainly told me that it was a little larger than they expected and it was a male.

I married the father 6 months later. We had 2 other children and were married 20 yrs.

Well, you should be commended for being able to share your story. You may never see it happen, but that man will eventually meet his maker and be judged then for his action(s). You are lucky that you and your husband are still together 20 years and 2 kids later!

Because not everyone believes in the soul. Keep in mind that as real as it may be to you, it's nonsense to someone else. When you get into the legality and science (medical and I guess legal) there are divergent definitions of "baby", and there are divergent definitions of "murder".

Ok, so to some people there is no soul, but still doesn't justify killing a person, soul or no soul. Murder is murder. Black and white, there is no gray. It's the people who put no value on a human life who come up with the gray areas of what is murder.