Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massive appetite little restriction

Has anybody else out there experienced extreme hunger after 6 weeks and did it go away?

Up until about 8 weeks I would get this extreme hunger, but a couple bites and I would be full... my surgeon did wonder if it could be a bug in my tummy that was causing this - I got blood tests but never heard any more, so presume that it wasn't this - as I'm now 24 weeks out.. I can honestly say that that sort of extreme hunger, where you could eat your hand if you don't get something to eat instantly.. has gone. I feel I can control my eating more - I've went through the 'can I have this' phase - and realise that although I 'can' eat it, I'm choosing not to, as it makes me feel blah...

I was sitting here trying to remember my six week mark... Then I realized oh easy memory! We were at Disneyland.

I got hungry but it was more like my body would feel weak and shaky, not stomach growing and rumbling, now when we walked past the sweet shops could I have eaten them? Hell yeah! I had to chose not too.. At that point I was still drinking shakes and soft food like hummus and deli type meats .

That's the feeling I could get... kind of like your body really 'needs' something.. as someone said previously, maybe just not eating enough of the right kind of foods.. I know that I don't get enough Protein in some days..

My hunger is like stomach is empty feeling. Like nothing is in there. Even after eating a meal in a short time my stomach is empty feeling again. My stomach aches like feed me. Its actually physical. Like it was before my surgery. Same feeling. I'm over 6 5" I read tall people have longer stomachs usually but mine must be huge. I'm thinking they took my huge stomach and changed it to large. Is that possible?

My god your a giant!! Are you a man?? I mean men can eat more... But I guess a tall woman could too.. I'm a shorty.

Yeah I'm a dude I'm built like a linebacker. So I wanted to thin out more so I could get around easier and not feel like big bird. Wanted a more athletic physique. But its like a big joke I can eat like before only maybe 20 percent less. With the same hunger. Or even worse hunger.

Ok one more thing have you tried a different PPI? I have read plenty of times here that one didn't work and the doc prescribed another and everything thing got better..

you keep saying you have pain on your left side that is probably an indicator that you are full. Stop eating and I'm sure this pain will subside try doing a couple of days of liquid to see of the pain eases up.. I had a Lapland before my sleeve and I would always complain of left side/ shoulder pain when I would over eat

The pain on my left side and the lump and indentation is from the cutting I believe. It hurt ever since the surgery. It has subsided but could be a hernia which could also be the reason I'm not feeling restriction. I just thought of that thanks. Maybe I just opened up and my stomach muscles separated. But than I will need another surgery great. Good wonderful. Maybe I could wrap a bandage around my waist to support that area and see what happens. I'm not overeating on purpose. I do stop and wait when I eat. Its weird. Its like I haven't eaten for weeks kind of feeling. I don't ever eat as much as I can. Just enough to take the edge off but its still too much.

Yeah I don't drink before or after. Maybe a sip to get something dry down. I go from starving to full to starving after some time passes. I assume my stomach is emptying quickly. I never get head hunger. Because my real hunger is still here. I would like to get an X-ray and post it to compare just to make sure it was done correctly.

Dear Booby,

I think that you may be hiding some facts from us. You just admitted that you sometimes wash something down with a sip. How often do you do this? If you are taking small bites and eating slowly you wouldn't need to "wash" anything down. If you have a properly made sleeve I find it impossible for you to eat 1 cup of food at 5 weeks out. I would have never attempted to eat steak at 5 weeks either. You can't possibly be "starving" an hour after eating. Just because your stomach is making noises does not mean that it is hungry; it is in healing phase, mine made gurgling noises all the time. I truly believe that some of this "IS" in your head. Maybe you need double dose PPI. Find something else to do besides eat. Eat at regular scheduled times, small portions, 1/2 cup or less. Stick with Protein to fill you up.

Mostly chicken. Turkey. Protein Shakes. Soup. And today only I had TV dinners. Low carbs. Steak and rice. And baked chicken. I also eat fruit. I drink tea and Water seperately.

I'm just eating what I consider a lot. The whole helping. I never have leftover. I can do 2 legs and a breast. Black eyed peas. For example. I don't get that sense of fullness. Til really late in. I purposely eat slow and chew. I just had some chicken salad 10 minutes ago. I'm still full as of now.

Okay rice, peas and fruit are not low carb. Maybe you should seek the advise of a nutritionist to help you understand food choices.

Well I'm actually 6 weeks out. No pain after eating. Just left side pain from the incision. That's the prob right I shouldn't be able to eat like that or feel restriction right? Its like I had nothing done at all. The hunger is the same and the volume is pretty darn close to the same. Maybe my doc wanted to save money on staples?

The pain that you are feeling at the incision site "is your stomach". You are putting way too much in and the pain is stemming from that. Try eating less and stopping and waiting to see what happens, don't drink anything for half an hour after. Restriction for me is a feeling of being satisfied, not full or stuffed just satisfied.

Hahaha. I'm not hiding anything. I've been spilling my Beans on here. I know I don't have a proper sleeve. There is no way a normal sleever could do this. I wish I could say April fools. Something is askew. Up until last week I was on all liquids. I've only been on solids for 2 weeks. And the first couple days was yogurt. And soft foods. Now I'm eating whole chickens and brisket what the heck. No pain and a lot of gain.

Maybe you can post for us what, how much you eat at what times of the day. Then we may be able to help you tweek it.

I was advised no rice, no bread, no Pasta for the first 6 months. They tend to swell in your stomach. I would skip the rice.