Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?  

421 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

• Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I’d hoped for.
    • Yes, probably. The journey hasn’t been easy, but I’m losing weight and feel that this was my best option.
    • Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery.
    • No. I’ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven’t been hitting my weight loss goals.
    • I haven’t had the surgery yet, but I’m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision!
    • Other...read my response below!

I really feel for you and I'm so sorry you regret having wls. I sincerely feel for you. You're right, someone has to be the 1% the stats report. Unfotunate for you though.

I'm just wondering, without wls, how long do you think you would be able to continue on your morbidly obese journey? That is the frightening thing I read into what you wrote. You (as well, as most of us) love food, abuse food and are dangerously overweight.. How long would we live if we kept it up? Probably not long. It would be a unhappy, unhealthy slow death, if not quick for some.

I'm glad you had it done, because whether you like it or not, it probably saved your life. Even if they don't know, I bet that makes your loved ones happy.. If not, yourself

Again, I am so happy for those who love the surgery; I simply don't. I am hoping to find some support from this site from those who regret it.

This just sounds so unhealthy mentally. You want to commiserate with other folks who are wanting to go back to being in an abusive relationship. Another option might be to seek some counselling as to getting to some root issues with your eating disorder. This may be the scariest, healthiest thing you have ever done, but you may learn to love and embrace your new lifestyle as so many others here have done.

I really feel for you and I'm so sorry you regret having wls. I sincerely feel for you. You're right, someone has to be the 1% the stats report. Unfotunate for you though.

I'm just wondering, without wls, how long do you think you would be able to continue on your morbidly obese journey? That is the frightening thing I read into what you wrote. You (as well, as most of us) love food, abuse food and are dangerously overweight.. How long would we live if we kept it up? Probably not long. It would be a unhappy, unhealthy slow death, if not quick for some.

I'm glad you had it done, because whether you like it or not, it probably saved your life. Even if they don't know, I bet that makes your loved ones happy.. If not, yourself

Ever see Leaving Las Vegas? Addiction is a cunning, baffling, powerful foe. People caught in its grips would rather die than confront themselves. Being active in a 12 step program, I have seen this in real life more times than I would care to.

PDX - I take full responsibility for the worst decision I've ever made. It is 100% my fault I had this surgery. I am totally accountable for my situation. I said nothing else!

Pdx this is what I wanted to know on my thread

"Bizarre trend"

She regrets it, you can try and fix it. and I'm hopeful that she can come to a place of peace with it and maybe somewhere down the line even change her feelings about it.

But the fact remains the same there seems to be a large amount of regrets lately!

It might be eye opening for the ones that are doing this for perhaps the wrong reasons..

That are not ready for the reality of this move

That are fixated on things like "girl I'm getting the one incision technique because I want to look hot on the beach this summer"

Oh and "I can't wait to rock that two piece and tell my ex to get lost"

It's like when I had my first baby I was scared to death. And i was 30! And one day while at the

Doctors there where two girls ( one pregnant)

Talking about "I can't wait to dress it in all sorts of "fly" clothes, girl he's going to look so good"

Yes, I posted a link to that thread on one of my recent posts on this thread for her to follow and perhaps contribute there.

Ever see Leaving Las Vegas? Addiction is a cunning, baffling, powerful foe. People caught in its grips would rather die than confront themselves. Being active in a 12 step program, I have seen this in real life more times than I would care to.

Oh, I know all too well. I had to do a lot of work before I was able to reset myself for success on this journey. And I'm always reluctant to suggest what you have because the responses are the "no, not me. I'm not addicted, etc"

I'm not innocent by any means when it comes to being guilty on the dying before admiting I was in trouble. 5 lapband wls.. A bit extreme. I was dying to not be obese.

This time, with help.. My main focus is health and I've never been happier

I'm three weeks post op and I've been blessed with a perfect recovery so far. My sleeve has agreed with everything I've given her as I've advanced my diet.. No sliming, no pain, nada.. I have very little hunger. I have almost no swelling of my sleeve I can drink big gulps if I want. I can eat 2-3 ounces of meat or half a cup of cottage cheese, or one egg with cheese and 1/4 cup Beans... and I'm satisfied with these portions.. If I was one of those who could only eat a tablespoon of food, I think I'd be struggling more than I am, but I'm really happy so far with my eating and appetite and I feel great.

I did go through a period during the first week where I was like WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST DO?????? The permanence of what I had done was really sinking in but now I'm over the initial shock and am really happy with my limited capacity for food!

Yes I saw that...even on my "mobile device"

LOL!

As for food addiction that several have raised in this thread, even when you think it is conquered, it is still there. Perhaps not in the same way. Wanting to eat and eat returned for me in a big way at month 6. However, I do not turn to comforts of the past. Instead, I will eat an extra ounce of Protein here an extra 2 ounces of Protein there. It helps.

Unfortunately , I have recently been having an extra Protein Bar in between meals. Need to be careful because even the low carb ones pack 150-200 calories. I suppose I have justified the extra calories because it still puts me at 1300-1400 and I an very active every day. However, eating Protein Bars "just because" I have an issue with eating the right number of calories is not helping me.

It brings back the worry in me that I might repeat the past. The eating to replacd dealing with issues. I do not think I have that issue any longer, but I must not let it occur because I put my life on the line for this last ditch effort at keeping food bondage at bay. I try and throw in an extra HIIT workout to counter it, but know this is not addressing the core issue. It is merely putting some distance between myself and a food issue.

I have been to therapy, but not specifically to psychoanalyze my eating and why it is different from a natural thin person. Do I need to? Not sure. I would not be here if I was like a naturally thin person. However, I eat fairly healthy now and try to only east Paleo if possible. It is the Protein Bars that I am concerned about.

Yes, I do struggle with eating, but I see no reason for this to be associated with regret for WLS. It is still a game changer for me.

I freely admit...I WAS addicted to food! I still want things that are unhealthy! The great thing about this surgery, for me at least, is that it has forced me to confront my food issues! Yes, I still have cravings...& yes I have & will give in to those cravings occasionally...but my sleeve has made it a lot easier to pass them by...& if/when I allow myself to indulge, it's just a couple bites & I'm done! I'm sorry some regret their decisions...but for me it was the best thing I have ever done for myself!

Yes I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!! Easily and it has been a easy process especially when I took the time to educate myself, prepare my family and prepare for it well in advance and know this is not a quick fix but a new lifestyle!!

My marriage is happier and healthier because the healthier ways have been very easily embraced and adapted by my husband and even kids!

The new confidence that I now can control my food, make healthier choices in my lifestyle and destiny of my health and body feels so much better than feeling hopeless, failed and out of control that I used to feel!!

This is my second chance and can still go out to dinner and be social and am having fun choosing different options and new foods.... I have amazing energy, spirit and what a new world this has opened for me... Looking forward to the future...

i know everyones experience will differ for so many different reasons and I feel for those who have not had a pleasant time with it but this has been nothing but pleasant and I have been very lucky to have such support from family, friends & coworkers!

My Cup is always half full!!

Not sure you can or want to answer this' date=' but why or what caused your marriage to be at risk? I see others with marriage issues after WLS. Is it as simple as jealously or insecurities, or is there more. Maybe better as sesperate thread, but do answer if you think it is a leading indicator for your regret. I do remember signing a consent form that said WLS Center is not liable for divorce, etc post op. I think WLS has been really good for marriage and nothing has ever come up to indicate a risk.[/quote']

My marriage is at risk because he didn't want me to have the surgery to begin with. He was supportive of me because he wants me to be happy, but he doesn't understand why I put my life at risk for it. I went through a lot the first 2 weeks post op and he was there for me, but the times I did break down he told me I wasn't allowed to because this was a decision I made and I had to live with the consequences. He said I was very selfish to have done this when we have a son who has health problems through no fault of his own and I should have thought twice before almost leaving him motherless.

I chose to go through with this life altering surgery because I wanted to feel the way I did when I lost over 70lbs with the band. But I didn't know how depressed and anxious this would make me. For the first time in my life I'm on anti anxiety medication to help with some of the stress and I'm constantly worrying about what's going to happen tomorrow. I am withdrawn from my family and my friends and if it weren't for my son, I probably wouldn't be alive right now.

My marriage is at risk because he didn't want me to have the surgery to begin with. He was supportive of me because he wants me to be happy' date=' but he doesn't understand why I put my life at risk for it. I went through a lot the first 2 weeks post op and he was there for me, but the times I did break down he told me I wasn't allowed to because this was a decision I made and I had to live with the consequences. He said I was very selfish to have done this when we have a son who has health problems through no fault of his own and I should have thought twice before almost leaving him motherless.

I chose to go through with this life altering surgery because I wanted to feel the way I did when I lost over 70lbs with the band. But I didn't know how depressed and anxious this would make me. For the first time in my life I'm on anti anxiety medication to help with some of the stress and I'm constantly worrying about what's going to happen tomorrow. I am withdrawn from my family and my friends and if it weren't for my son, I probably wouldn't be alive right now.[/quote']

This is very distressing to read..

Please if you aren't already doing so, find a professional to talk to. This does not sound like a healthy situation for you or your son.

Also you said that your husband was supportive but everything you just said shows that his support was conditional on a smooth complication free surgery. That is not support.

He was supportive of me because he wants me to be happy' date=' but he doesn't understand why I put my life at risk for it. I went through a lot the first 2 weeks post op and he was there for me, but the times I did break down he told me I wasn't allowed to because this was a decision I made and I had to live with the consequences. He said I was very selfish to have done this when we have a son who has health problems through no fault of his own and I should have thought twice before almost leaving him motherless.

I am withdrawn from my family and my friends and if it weren't for my son, I probably wouldn't be alive right now.[/quote']

If he wants you to be happy he will support you 100%. Dictating to you when you can and cannot have a meltdown moment is not being supportive.

Based off your posting, I truely hope you seek professional help. Your son needs you to be healthy and happy