Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much will I really lose?

I was sleeved 1 week ago today and I've been thinking, just how much will I actually lose? Oddly enough I don't want to get "too" small. I started at 316 and would like to land around 200-220. I think I would look like an alien if I went to 165 or so!!!

That's funny that you brought this up because I just look today website today that tells you how much you should expect to lose by which surgery got. The sleeve surgery you're expected to lose approximately 60% of your excess weight which mine was I started at 3:03 and they said that I would get down to 196 Also said if I would have been gastric bypass I would expect to get down to 184 and if I had the lap band it would be to go to 202

So your actual body weight if you lost 100% of your excess weight would be like 100lbs?? I've seen people with the bypass that look sick actually and I really don't want to get that low.

I had my 6th month follow up today and had the same discussion with my surgeon. He said the lap band was around 60% and vsg was slightly better at around 70% on average. He also mentioned that those numbers are averages. Some can be 90-100%.

I'm at 74% today.

If you use the sleeve correctly and learn to live a healthy life you will lose whatever you want. How many of us will do that? Probably not many.. But I'm hell bent on trying.

That's funny that you brought this up because I just look today website today that tells you how much you should expect to lose by which surgery got. The sleeve surgery you're expected to lose approximately 60% of your excess weight which mine was I started at 3:03 and they said that I would get down to 196 Also said if I would have been gastric bypass I would expect to get down to 184 and if I had the lap band it would be to go to 202

Been thinking the same since I'm at the lower BMI scale. What and who determines "how much" excess weight you have and how is that number calculated. I do know eight charts don't sometimes take into account body frame size. I'm 5"8" 242 and my dad is 6'4" and his mother was 6' herself so we are larger framed and weighing what some of these charts say would make me look like Annie(anerexic). Not a good look.

If you use the sleeve correctly and learn to live a healthy life you will lose whatever you want. How many of us will do that? Probably not many.. But I'm hell bent on trying.

I couldn't agree with this more. I think it is truly up to us how much we will lose with the sleeve. Since our stomachs don't really stretch (without some effort), we will have this tool forever. It is easy to "eat around" the sleeve. I believe by throwing away the guidelines, one can go into "maintenance" mode. I have been on this site for almost 2 years now and I can honestly say 99.9% of the folks who, after at least 1 year out, say they are unable to lose any more weight, also admit they are not following the basic guidelines. They start drinking with their meals, don't exercise and don't eat well balanced meals. Fine ... don't exercise ... but if you are drinking with meals, you will be able to eat more and if you are not eating well balanced, healthy meals, then you will be constantly hungry as you are not meeting your body's nutritional requirements. Follow the guidelines for as long as you want to lose weight and you will meet your personal goals. I guaran-frikin-tee it.

"but if you are drinking with meals, you will be able to eat more"

I was told that drinking with meals was not advised because it limited the amount of food you could eat, making your pouch fill to quick? this is why they say not to drink before meals right? So you have room? I am confused now.

My goal is to get under 200 pounds, which would still make me 40 pounds over my "ideal" weight, according to the insurance charts. The last time I was under 200, I was 15 years old. I'm 53 now. Nine months ago, I was 484. I'm now 330. I'm currently losing at the rate of 5 pounds a week. Even if that goes down to 4 pounds, I'll reach my goal by the end of the year.

My surgeon considers your surgery a success if at 6 months post op you have lost 55-60% of our excess weight. As for a total, I think he considers 80% of excess weight loss to be done by his patients.

What's the website?

"but if you are drinking with meals' date=' you will be able to eat more"

I was told that drinking with meals was not advised because it limited the amount of food you could eat, making your pouch fill to quick? this is why they say not to drink before meals right? So you have room? I am confused now. [/quote']

The way I understood the doctors and nutritionists (someone please correct me if I am wrong!) is drinking Water right before eating will fill you, but drinking while or after eating works like a flush. The Water flushes the food out of your stomach making you hungry sooner. Also, drinking while eating is a lubricate so everything goes down easier making it easier to eat more.

Yes Jaycee that is exactly what I was told as well.

"but if you are drinking with meals, you will be able to eat more"

I was told that drinking with meals was not advised because it limited the amount of food you could eat, making your pouch fill to quick? this is why they say not to drink before meals right? So you have room? I am confused now.

The way I understood the doctors and nutritionists (someone please correct me if I am wrong!) is drinking Water right before eating will fill you, but drinking while or after eating works like a flush. The Water flushes the food out of your stomach making you hungry sooner. Also, drinking while eating is a lubricate so everything goes down easier making it easier to eat more.

is video which demonstrates the principles pretty well, even though it is from a bypass perspective, I have found it holds true for sleevers, too. We don't drink prior to eating because we don't want the liquid there waiting to quickly move the contents out of the stomach. We don't eat after so we can leave the contents in the stomach as long as possible.
is a quick digestion 101 reminder for those who have forgotten their high school biology.

I know for me, when I have overeaten, or if I need to increase my calories for an upcoming race, I could drink with my meal and consume more. I could actually feel my stomach emptying.