Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two weeks post op and eating nearly the "maximum"

Hello VST friends. I know that a lot of intake early on has to do with sleeve inflammation and not necessarily the size of the actual finished product.. but still I can't help but compare...

I am two weeks out and this morning for Breakfast I had 3T of refried Beans, 1/4 slice of american cheese, and nearly a whole egg.

Now of course yes, this is much less than I would have ever eaten in the past, but still I was shocked by how much it was.. I ate it in about 10 minutes. .. from a baby spooon... putting the spoon down in between bites to chew (chewing refried beans and eggs is something that I've NEVER done in my life) I ate to the point of being satisfied, though I know I could have gotten the whole egg down if that was my mission. On my recommended menu it says that the MAXIMUM I should eat at this stage is 1/4 cup of beans and a whole egg but that I'll likely only be able to eat a few spoonfulls and be done. I was shocked that I ate almost to the maximum and could have kept going if I ignored the signal of "satisfaction" ! I've been able to drink fluids since day one almost as easily as pre surgery so I have almost no restriction for fluids.. I was expecting to feel more when I graduated to eggs and beans.

So here's the question, how much were you eating at 2 weeks out and how does that relate to how much you're eating now? I'm trying to tell myself that this is just because I don't have a lot of inflammation (which is a good thing) but I'd like to hear other's personal experiences. I'd especially like to hear from any who were able to eat more than expected early on.

At 2 weeks out I was still on Protein Shakes, Soups and broths and I did cheat and have some yogurt. But I could only drink about 2 ozs of a Protein schake and about 2 teaspoons of my yogurt. At 3 weeks I was able to have pureed foods.....Your stomach is still swollen and healing so be kind to it and nourish it with foods that are easy to contain and digest..... :)

My surgery is next week my doctor's protocol is only liquids for 3 weeks and then pureed food for I think 2 weeks after that before I move on to soft foods..

I am following my post op diet.. this is the stage I am on...

At 2 weeks out i could eat half an egg. I am 3 weeks out now and i can get down about 3/4 of the egg, but that is over about a 30 min period. Made chili for dinner last night and i could eat about 1/4 cup, which was hard cuz it tasted sooo good! Maybe if you try to take longer time to eat, 10 min is pretty fast, you will feel full sooner. If you are really concerned call your nut and ask.

At 2 weeks I could barely finish one mushed up hard boiled egg. I believe I was on pureed at that time but couldnt take in much at all. Now Im almost 4 months out and I can take in more but still have a very good restriction. For example, I can only eat about 5 cold shrimp or 2 wings from Buffalo Wild Wings or a small filet of tilapia or a half cup of cottage cheese. Some things obviously fill me up faster than others.

At two weeks, I was unable to eat even half an ounce of anything. I've always had great restriction. Now, at 9 weeks out, I can eat about an ounce of most things. Some things, I can't even eat that much. I've never eaten a whole egg at all since surgery.

I'm thinking that maybe you are able to eat that much because your stomach still hasn't healed and maybe you can't feel the fullness at this stage. When I was at that stage, and even now, I weigh my food. I weigh out an ounce.. that is what I will allow myself to eat. If I eat it all, I usually feel really satisfied or even full... but many times I can't even finish it.

With that being said, we are all different and our stomachs/sleeves are different sizes. As long as you are following your doctor's instructions, I'm sure you will be fine.

I'm 8 days post op and am filled with 4 oz of broth. I just tried yogurt for the first time and ate about 2 ounces and was satisfied.

My Nutritionist told me that if it takes you less then 20 minutes to eat, you are eating too much, and if it takes you more then 20 minutes to stop..Hope this helps..

I am doing the math (the way I would have done for myself) and it just adds up to too much too soon. Your baby bites are either heaping or a big baby spoon, 10 minutes just doesnt get longer than 600 seconds any way around it. If you are taking small bites chewing to puree (allowing the predigestive saliva to mix) swallowing, waiting the recommended 30 seconds or so and then selecting your next bite, you ate that in 12 bites.

I am soooooooo not picking. Doing the math is an eye opener sometimes, it was for me.

You may not have inflammation, but you have a new incision. you can inflame a healing wound with too much pressure, even if it has no signs of it before. Some people do not get as much of a presssure trigger till they have had too much, it is possible to deaden some nerves and it takes awhile to get that back. So you could be overdoing it, you just aren't as aware, you do it a few times, a few days, week - bam! ouchiness.

I would just suggest you eat much slower, and less, just for now.

I am suprised your diet allows these foods just yet. But you are not hte first one I heard this from.

Good luck.

I'm 8 days post op and am filled with 4 oz of broth. I just tried yogurt for the first time and ate about 2 ounces and was satisfied.

at 3 days post op I had two cups of broth in one sitting and could have gone on for infinity if it was not for the sodium content.. Anything Fluid just runs straight through my sleeve... which is a good thing, no dehydration for me!

I suspect you are a sleeve of steel, too! Seriously, though my "guess" is that you'll feel tactic toon once you hit dense peptones and you'll be like: BAM! That's what this is all about.

Also, if you're still on narcotics you may be missing signals. But prolly not so much cause you aren't slimming....

We're all different. That's the one thing that's constant around here.

tactic toon

Nice Star Wars speak.

"Total restriction"

I suspect you are a sleeve of steel, too! Seriously, though my "guess" is that you'll feel tactic toon once you hit dense peptones and you'll be like: BAM! That's what this is all about.

Also, if you're still on narcotics you may be missing signals. But prolly not so much cause you aren't slimming....

We're all different. That's the one thing that's constant around here.

Thanks! No narcotis for me. They gave me some Nalbuphine the day of surgery and I took Ketorolac (an NSAID) sublingually for two days after surgery and I haven't had so much as a tylenol since. The stuff they sent me home with remains untouched.. I'm one of those who tends to "overdo" it physically unless there is pain involved so I liked having a bit of discomfort in my incision sites to remind me that I just had surgery.. My actual sleeve though hasn't felt anything since I was in the hospital and having contractions if it wasn't for the nausea I felt at first and the few days of contractions, I'd swear they hadn't touched my stomach at all!

I am two weeks post-op and eating soft/pureed foods. Initially, I was eating too fast and too much. Today, my 3rd day on foods I ate 1.5 oz of chicken salad with 5 townhouse crackers for lunch and I was definitely satisfied. I just about didn't get the last few bites down because the pressure started building in my chest which is a sign to me that I need to stop. Definitely slow down, time yourself if you need too. It took me about 30 minutes to eat that. I have an app on my Iphone that tells me when to take a bite every minute to minute 1/2.