Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just saw Carnie Wilson on a talk show and mind you she had a lap band surgery in Jan 2012 after her initial gastric bypass in 1999, and she looks even bigger than she did on her tv show still holding on. She says she lost 30 pounds. I dont see it. Is it really possible to regain weight even with the lap band? I was shocked that she gained all of her weight back having children. I just feel sad for her. Im just a little scared that this could happen to me. This is why Im in therapy to prevent this kind of thing. Can you imagine how she feels having 2 wl surgeries?

What in the world did they band?

I couldn't imagine living in the spot light and being open about my weight struggles and surgeries. She's very brave to continue to let people into her daily life and struggle but I think unfortunately people use her as an example of why wls is a waste. I feel bad that she is still struggling but I never understood why she went with the lap band. I think she's a spokes person for them. If I was her I would of revised to a DS and not the lap band. It's sad that she's only managed to lose 30 pounds in the year that she's had it in :/

There is a girl in my support group who has had all 3 procedures.. Lap band to sleeve to bypass. She says she just cant stop eating and keeps gaining.

This is a concern for me as well.

I just saw Carnie Wilson on a talk show and mind you she had a lap band surgery in Jan 2012 after her initial gastric bypass in 1999' date=' and she looks even bigger than she did on her tv show still holding on. She says she lost 30 pounds. I dont see it. Is it really possible to regain weight even with the lap band? I was shocked that she gained all of her weight back having children. I just feel sad for her. Im just a little scared that this could happen to me. This is why Im in therapy to prevent this kind of thing. Can you imagine how she feels having 2 wl surgeries?[/quote']

You can gain weight with any surgery .. It's not a cure just a tool

Unless they preform some surgery that no longer permits a person to eat there will always be failures. WLS is a tool not the cure for obesity. If you allow yourself to over eat or eat unhealthy you will gain weight.

As for Wilson.. The laband band is very easy to eat right through. It allows you to eat all the bad food while restricting healthy foods. It's useless in most cases. Still, nothing is going to work if you fail to have the right mindset.

I realize its a tool, knew it going in its just scary.

I realize its a tool' date=' knew it going in its just scary.[/quote']

It is scary but ppl have other underline issues to address before wls surgery unfortunately if I pay out of packet some surgeons don't require psychological screens to be done on ppl with eating disorders and sometime ppl just fall through the cracks the very good at hiding their issue w food I love food but I addressed my issues 6 months before having surgery I stopped smoking the minute I walked in to the doctor office to tell him I was considering wls .. It takes will power a lot I'm not perfect I'm taking it one day at a time

Regaining is a big fear of mine- and I am assuming everyone else's here. That's why I stay on this board, keep my lifetime membership (and make time to work out), take the stairs, eat Protein first, and the minute that scale says 170 I cut back- and get back into the 160's again. (that's my sweet spot)

I know first hand 5 lab band failures- almost all weigh as much as they did, if not more, and 3 gastric bypass failures-- gaining and can't stop, including a 550 pound patient that goes to my support group as well.

I feel like we got lucky with the sleeve-- and thank goodness my surgeon talked me out of the band, and signed me up for the sleeve! Maintaining for more than a year now!

It does not cure head hunger. Unless you can beat that you will regain. Period. Even just being overconfident can cause you to regain. I regained a little bit still "following the rules" and exercizing - alot!

I just allowed myself too many "healthy" foods. Avacados, avacados, avacados, red meats, grains, nuts, nuts, nuts....small portions but soooo good. and I "drank" my calories. That was an odd one, and once I "saw" it I stopped immediately. I was drinking every afternoon. Not enough to phase me, but a little here and there of wasteful calories. I also juiced and put evoo on everything to help it slide through (not as in slider food, to slllidddeeeeeee through, lol).

So if I ate to capacity everytime, and ate breads and chips an dice ceam and soda or concentrated, fabbed drinks, and such - yeah I think you could GainItBackThisFast.

The girl who couldn't stop eating still can lose the weight, there is always a chance to change. it is the most cheezy, annoying, true, unavoidable fact - you have not failed until you stop trying. However, if you are always looking for an easy way out, that isn't really trying. After three surgeries and not stopping to gain a handle on the head hunger, that is where you could call WLS an easy way out, that will not work. I am disappointed they would keep working on her over and over again.

One thing about Carnie that I can't understand (bless her heart--I think all of us can empathize at least a little bit with her) is that she is really into food and cooking. She was on a celebrity cooking show within the past few months on Food Network (one of those ones that spans several weeks). She wasn't necessarily making healthful foods. I think it would be really difficult to have food be that big of a part of your life and not be tempted. I think you really have to change your mind set. I don't spend much time anymore watching Food Network, I don't browse recipes like I used to, don't really look thru my cookbooks, and I would say I do a lot less cooking and more "preparing" of meals. I just don't want to be tempted right now and none of it really holds the same appeal, which I think is good. I really like thinking of food now as sustenance and don't necessarily anticipate a nice dinner out like I used to and that kind of thing. I still have lots of interests and don't feel that my quality of life has diminished at all because of it.

This procedure is truly just a tool. It takes a lot of work and due diligence to keep going forward and maintaining......

I know that if I'm not careful, I will gain my weight back too. I haven't so far thank goodness, now I basically struggle with getting in all my fluids and stuff..... I do love my healthy body when it's fully hydrated...... :)

Oh yeah, its possible. I feel for the woman. I wish she would stop talking about it though because I feel like she is embarrassing herself, but that might be unfair of me to say. When you are clearly heavier and talking about how you lost this or that.... it strikes me as sad. BUT (disclaimer) I did not see this spot you are talking about so I didn't see for myself what you are talking about.

One thing about Carnie that I can't understand (bless her heart--I think all of us can empathize at least a little bit with her) is that she is really into food and cooking. She was on a celebrity cooking show within the past few months on food Network (one of those ones that spans several weeks). She wasn't necessarily making healthful foods. I think it would be really difficult to have food be that big of a part of your life and not be tempted. I think you really have to change your mind set. I don't spend much time anymore watching Food Network' date=' I don't browse recipes like I used to, don't really look thru my cookbooks, and I would say I do a lot less cooking and more "preparing" of meals. I just don't want to be tempted right now and none of it really holds the same appeal, which I think is good. I really like thinking of food now as sustenance and don't necessarily anticipate a nice dinner out like I used to and that kind of thing. I still have lots of interests and don't feel that my quality of life has diminished at all because of it.[/quote']

I am a professional chef.... And everything you are saying is turning into a huge fear for me. It is everything that I enjoy to do, do well and get paid quite well to do it. Culinary school didn't help either where they put Paula Deen to shame with the amount of butter they use. The hardest thing I think one has to learn to do (at least in my shoes) is to make cooking healthy fun and easy. I go into work almost every day wondering how I am going to get through this surgery and stay sane.

There is a girl in my support group who has had all 3 procedures.. Lap band to sleeve to bypass. She says she just cant stop eating and keeps gaining.

This is a concern for me as well.

Omgg this is my nightmare come to life!!