Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

band loosened and oh what a thrill

After suffering since March, I finally had my band loosened. I have gained 5 pounds, but, I feel so much better. At first I wasn't complaining about the tight band because I was losing a lot of weight, but, when I fluctuated between the same 3-5 pounds enough was enough. It is nice to be able to eat without struggling so much. I was worried, because my husband's band slipped, and I didn't want the same thing. He had to have all his Fluid taken out, and may have to have surgery again, we are keeping our fingers crossed since our insurance won't cover that.

I just wanted to say thank you for the posts on my husband's constant heartburn a few months ago. We learned from the doctor, that is a warning sign of possible slippage, which they proved on x-ray. Of course, I am not saying heartburn means slippage. It could mean you ate too close to bedtime, and the food was sitting there overnight in the pouch, or it could be something else. I wish, we had done something sooner. We thought it was a bug going around work.

Hi Denise,

Sorry to hear about your husband's band slippage, but I am glad to hear that you had your's loosened a bit. You don't want to take any chances with your health over quick weightloss vs. a positive good experience with the band and maybe a slower weight loss.

Take care and keep us updated on your husband's band.

Hi Denise...

So sorry for your troubles! I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better since your unfill and hopefully you'll be able to find a happy medium between a fill that is too tight or not tight enough. Wishing you and your hubby better times ahead.

Darcy

I really appreciate everyone. I hadn't posted in a while because I had been depressed about my band, and didn't want to be a "negative nancy". Now that I can eat meat again, I am hoping it will cut down on the "bad foods" and I will lose weight again. My husband goes in for a consultation about what to do about his slippage. I hope that it is okay now that he's had it open for about a month. We'll see

Denise, I am having a similar problem I think. I just got a complete unfill yesterday under flouro (it took them 45 minutes -

they could not hit the port because of scar tissue). Anyhow, I was banded on 3/17/04, had my first fill of 2cc on 5/13. Because of quite a bit of PBing, they took out 1cc under flouro on 6/21.

Yesterday the remaining one 1cc was taken out. Now i am totally confused.

The radiologist said he didn't see the pouch and that the band was actually around the bottom of my esphogus (sp?). He said the only way to fix it was surgery.

Today I saw my two surgeons and they thought the band was in a good spot. I am scheduled to have an endoscopy on 8/3 to see if there is any damage to my esphogus because of the Pbing and also to check to make sure the band is not eroding into my stomach.

I am so confused now, I don't know what to believe. I am asking for the reports from the radiologist to see what he said.

Until further notice they told me to have fluids only. I am just miserable. It seems like slippage is very common. Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Originally posted by molynn

It seems like slippage is very common.

I agree, it does seem that there is recently a rash of slippage stories. As I've been told, this can only be in relation to the fact that there are so many people running to get the band. It may still not be anymore common in relation to the amount of people banded. I was quoted 3%, which is still not a large percentage. I know that Inamed is documenting all this and there may be a more accurate percentage updated sometime in the future. Even with that, it's still so much more minor than bypass complications and if you can have it take care of and get back onto the road of weightloss with possibly a bit more caution, I still think it will have been worth it.

I'm recovering from my second surgery and although I've felt like hell this past week, if I can continue to lose the additional 50 lbs that I need to, it will definitely have been worth it for me!

I wish you luck! Keep us updated on your husband's troubles.

Leatha

Oh Moreen I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles.

May I ask what were your symptoms other then PBing and why did they take out the rest of your fill? Were you still PBing with just 1 cc? How are you feeling now with a complete unfill? Are you able to eat OK? I would not take too much stock in what the radiologist says but listen to your doctor the endoscopy on 8/3 will give you answers, until then try not to let it get you down and think possitive and I will send you possitive vibes your way too..please let us know what happens on 8/3. Any support we can give you please do not hesitate, lots of women here are very knowledgable..I'm just 3 months out so I still a newbie but many here know there stuff!

Good Luck

Mine and my husband's doctor said it is usually 1 out of 1,000. He is one of the first doctors to perform the surgery and he says it has only happened to two of his patients. I know just in the hospital I get my fills and had my surgery there are 300 lapband patients so, that is a pretty good record. He also works at another hospital that has quite a few more patients.

He believes my husband's band slipped because he was too tight and he was throwing up on a daily basis. I think and I am not making this statement based on anyone's post because, I don't know anyone personally here, but based on the lapband people in my area I know.......Some doctors--including mine---are performing so many bands that maybe the message isn't getting out so much about the dangers of throwing up and the band.

I know that message is stated over and over here in chat, so we know here, but, I don't think people on the outside are getting that message, or they are choosing to ignore it. From personal experience, before I got my band I had to have a psych evaluation which consisted of the questions you knew how to answer to pass the test. I really would like to see psych doctors take an active role with the lap band. I know for many of us (myself anyway) that is where our weight issues stem from anyway.

BTW---my husband went back to the doctor and they did the barium thing again and my doctor had a shocked look on his face.........the band slipped back into the right place. He said, when the band slips there is an 80% chance you will have to have surgery again.........I am hoping it is a miracle!!! But, my husband is a real "murphy" so he might jinx it lol

He asked if he had to have the surgery again would it be easier, and the doc said, no, it is the exact same surgery we had initially.

Denise, the doc told me in June that there was "slight slippage" on my band, but only saw it 15 minutes into the fluoroscopy, and only after I turned to one side. When he first looked at it from the front, he said it looked like it was in a good position!!! : / ---He did NOT tell me that I should take any Fluid out, because I told him I didnt want to gain any weight back! He would not add any either, saying that it was pretty tight. I have occassional acid reflux that wakes me up, but only like once a month when I eat the wrong food. And I never throw up. I am wondering your opinion about getting some fluid out, do you think that if there in fact IS any slippage, that it will correct itself? How extensive was your husband;s slippage? Did the doc say?-----

The other ladies on the board are telling me I should go back, but I love my band this way! Then again, I dont want to ruin it, am I too late?

THANK YOU....... : (

MBZ,

I wonder if you have considered what COULD happen IF you do have slippage and it gets worse? :straight

Hi Leatha--!

I just posted another reply about what me doc told me this morning on another thread---but I wanted to make sure you saw this!--- So I am repeating myself, to see what you think:

(I think I have a better chance of not messing anything up if I just leave it alone---???)

---HE SAID:

-my slippage is slight, otherwise we would have gone directly to the emergency room.

-I can:

a.

live with it the way it is (since I was so insistant that he keep the fill in...) and be very careful, and it could just stay like this the rest of my life

b.

1.have ALLLLL the fill taken out (he said "some" is not an option!-with "some" taken out it will not try to heal iteself!)

2.come back a month later to see if it healed and put the fill back in, BUT if it did not heal---here is the nighmare---HE WILL PUT ME BACK IN SURGERY TO TRY TO FIX IT!!!!

AAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Then!---there is a chance if he goes into surgery, either he could ruin it, or whatever, since all the organs are all over it, and then he would have to TAKE IT OUT!!!!

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Maybe I should leave well-enough alone,......that what my husband said.

Usually I get an e-mail saying that someone has posted, but I didn't this time. Sorry, I wasn't trying to ignore your question. Personally, if your doctor think it has slipped I would definitely follow what ever orders he suggests. You may gain a little wait, but, it is much better and easier to lose it later, then to have to take several weeks off work to have the surgery done again, and then have to start over on "Liquids" again. I have gained 10 pounds since I had my band loosened. I got a bike and am trying to ride it everyday to increase my metabolism. I am depressed about the weight, sure, but, I feel better now that I can have meat and veggies. I can understand your frustration though

Denise

my doc says it is a total crap shoot---he cannot tell me one way or the other. He says its 50/50...loosen it and it might not correct itself, then its back to surgery....or try to live with it and be careful. I dont know....

Denise -- I'll bet I went to your group when I trekked up I-75 and got a second opinion from someone other than my surgeon about my slippage. Liked them a lot. The Dr. said my slip wasn't the type of slip that would go back into place. Bummer.

Maybe, maybe (fingers crossed) I'll be like your husband and be one of the rare cases. One can hope! I had all my fill taken out in June and I've been like a kid in a candy store (sorry!) It's shocking how quickly I reverted back to some bad habits...but like you, leatha, i also have been enjoying some of the good things i couldn't do when i had restriction like fruit and salads. (I think it was you who said that at another thread). I gained 8 pounds very quickly since my unfill, but have held steady the past few weeks.

mbz -- have you thought about a second opinion?

And on the issue of the second surgery -- While the surgery would be the same in terms of incisions, anesthesia, recovery, post-op diet, etc. one thing to remember -- we're all a lot healthier than the first time we were rolled in!

Elizabeth

8/28/03

I guess a second opinion is a good idea! Even if I have to pay out of pocket....I will look into it--there are VERY FEW docs near me....guess I could trek up to NYC....

I am taking a break for a little while, it's making me sick...just gonna be very cautious....I wouldnt mind getting the fill out for a month or so, as long as my doc agreed to put it back in, even if the slip didnt correct itself, but he said if it didnt correct, he would take me back in surgery, and I just feel that's the last resort ,and why "open up" a new can of worms, when Imight be able just to live with the slip. If I call and he agrees that if it does not correct after Fluid has been out, that he will re-fill it, then I will try it. If he refuses, then I wont go....:think