Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery - What to expect? :/ TMI!

DLV75 I am so relieved to hear that the drain pain is normal. I too feel like I can't take a full breath , like it's rubbing up against my diaphragm or something. I also can not get comfortable to sleep.< /p>

It doesn't hurt coming out but it is the weirdest thing you will ever feel. Kind of like a snake wiggling around in there. When they pulled it I could instantly breath without pain. It was wonderful. I had no idea the drain was causing that shoulder pain I just assumed it was the gas until they pulled it.

It doesn't hurt coming out but it is the weirdest thing you will ever feel. Kind of like a snake wiggling around in there. When they pulled it I could instantly breath without pain. It was wonderful. I had no idea the drain was causing that shoulder pain I just assumed it was the gas until they pulled it.

Did your rib area hurt to? I'm 5 days out and have the drain and have heartburn and my rib hurts but im sure its just from the surgery.

I did not have a drain or staples with my sleeve. Every surgeon is different.

Did your rib area hurt to? I'm 5 days out and have the drain and have heartburn and my rib hurts but im sure its just from the surgery.

My ribs hurt, and I feel like its from this drain. Whenever I breath I feel it. It's weird and horrible because I can't settle to get some sleep, hence it being 2:30 and me not asleep ahhhhhhhhh. I want this think out, but I have 4 more days...

No drain or staples for me either. All of my incisions were glued shut. One had one dissolving stitch in it. When I had my gallbladder out I had staples. It wasn't the end if the world, they just leave additional scarring.

I had my surgery on Monday. I won't lie, it was rough but they did fix an unexpected hiatal hernia as well. The gas pain and post op swelling was very uncomfortable. My back pain was off the chart, but finally on my last day in the hospital- my nurse (a post WLS patient herself) brought me a bag of headed towels and Fluid for a make shift heating bag- and it helped. If you have a heating pad- TAKE IT. I think for me I was a nervous wreck until after the leak Test, then I relaxed a bit.

Today, I am good- nothing to complain about. Incision pain is getting less and less daily. Being home helped healing for me. I couldn't sleep much. Every hour another staff member was in there either doing vitals, giving me shots in my tummy (blood thinners) or checking my sugar levels. Pain management at the hospital sucked- no morphine drip like some- just dilaudid. It didn't help so much. Once home I was on liquid lortab and it was awesome!

All and all- at 2-3 days post op I would say I made a mistake doing the surgery, now 6 days out I am over the moon HAPPY!

I am 42yo and have had spinal surgery, 3 c-sections, a tubal reversal surgery, gallbladder removed and complete hysterectomy. This surgery was a little tough but am happy to have done it!!! I don't take high blood pressure meds or metformin any longer so that is a big plus too! Ohhh... And I am down from 228 to 215 this morning. I weighed in surgery morning at 220.

I am 3 days post op (band removal to VSG) and I was up and walking around the recovery ward in 2 hours. I had zero incision pain - my biggest problem is with gas, radiating through my back. It is getting better each day, and this morning I had a (sorta) bowel movement.

I freaked myself out last night that i had a fever - I can be a bit of a hypochondriac - but I'm doing fine. Walk, walk, walk is my one suggestion.

I came out feeling good - way better than when I had the band done.

Follow the rules that the Dr sets out for you and you'll be fine

I have said in many posts that I expected this surgery to be a breeze, especially where pain was concerned. I have never taken pain meds before, and I did need to with this surgery. I instantly regretted my decision when I woke in a fog in the recovery room. I probably wasn't happy about my decision for a few weeks. I struggled to get my Protein and Water in. Struggled with trying to plan my meal schedule. But it got easier, I'm down 52 lbs and feel much better.

I didn't have a drain. I did have my stomach stapled internally. I had per my doc stock some gas x strips. I had zofran subligual tabs for nausea. Pain was minimal. Went home in 28 hrs. I am now a few days short of one month post op. I want solid foods. My Dr. Was Andre Graham at Baylor in Dallas Texas. His office is staff with individuals that have had some form of WLS. The support was and is fantastic..

I don't have any other surgeries to compare it to, but I did not have an easy time. Part of it was not being able to take the nausea from the pain meds, so I could only tolerate Tylenol. Recovery has been rough. Not being able to bend over or lift things. Then my incision split open. Now I'm one month out and have pneumonia. This surgery was not as simple as I thought it was going to be.

My ribs hurt' date=' and I feel like its from this drain. Whenever I breath I feel it. It's weird and horrible because I can't settle to get some sleep, hence it being 2:30 and me not asleep ahhhhhhhhh. I want this think out, but I have 4 more days...[/quote']

Im sorry your going through that but glad to hear it not just me. I was afraid that something else might be wrong and it's had me worried. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

I had surgery on Tuesday. OMGOSH i was so darn nervous...

I'll explain as much in details as i can. When i was in bed waiting to be taken into surgery, i was greeted by different people from the surgical team.

The anesthesioligist (however you spell that) told me i would two tubes down my throat, one was an upper endcopopy and the other has something to do the the anesthesia. i went into surgery woke up had a little pain but not too much. Was told i will be give me enough pain meds to control my pain. It was hard to take deep breaths. All i wanted to do was sleep. I had something strapped to my calves that massaged me which later i found out was to help circulate the blood in my legs.

I also realized i had a catheter down there.

The most advice i can give you is to take any pain meds you can. I was attached to a machine that with a press of a button i would get a dose of morphine every 8 minutes.

Also as soon as they tell you you can walk. WALK... WALK like there is no tomorrow. That will help release the gas pains. Walk around the hospital hall for about 10-15 minutes every hour while your awake.

Hospitals are annoying because when your trying to sleep a different staff member will come to see you etc. whether to check your vital signs or to see your incisions.

They will probably have you do breathing exercise with a breathing tool. Use that every time there is a commercial on tv while your in bed. it helps you breath better and it also helps to prevent you from getting pneumonia.

My greatest frustrations were the gas pains. Yesterday mom took me a store and i walked for about 2 hours straight and i am so grateful cuz i feel so much better today. Please walk as much as you can. I helps for a speedy recovery. I thought it was bull when the nurse told me because i walked a lot when i was in the hospital and i still had gas pains. (i felt it in my chest and made it hard to swallow).

Walk walk walk. and good luck! Everything will go great!!!

I have said in many posts that I expected this surgery to be a breeze, especially where pain was concerned. I have never taken pain meds before, and I did need to with this surgery. I instantly regretted my decision when I woke in a fog in the recovery room. I probably wasn't happy about my decision for a few weeks. I struggled to get my Protein and Water in. Struggled with trying to plan my meal schedule. But it got easier, I'm down 52 lbs and feel much better.

I started kind of regretting it as well. But i guess its part of the process of healing. I'm glad your better and congrats on the weight loss!

<~~~~~~~~no drain or staples.