Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how long after surgery did you go back to work or travel?

Hey all,

Because of projects at my work I am slated to have my surgery most likely after June 1st. I am in the 3 month pre-op diet required for my insurance. I was wondering if any of you would mind sharing how long it took you to be well enough to get back to work after sleeving (laparoscopic), absent any major complications of course. I'm just trying to get a general idea.

Also, I am in a long distance relationship. My fiance is half a world away and we are waiting for him to get his immigrant visa so he can come live with me in the US. Because he's from a developing country it's impossible for him to get a tourist visa to visit me here so I can only visit him while we wait. Does anyone have any advice about how long [how many months] you should wait before traveling internationally? This is of course also absent any serious complications.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Hey there,

I had my surgery on a Tuesday and went back to my office job on Monday. I walked around as much as possible and didn't lift anything until cleared by my doctor.

I was off pain meds a day after I got home, Tylenol was sufficient for me. (thankfully)

Good luck!

Hey there,

I had my surgery on a Tuesday and went back to my office job on Monday. I walked around as much as possible and didn't lift anything until cleared by my doctor.

I was off pain meds a day after I got home, Tylenol was sufficient for me. (thankfully)

Good luck!

Oh hey you got sleeved by one of my surgeon's colleagues. If my insurance doesn't cover me I'll be going over to the hospital over in NJ to self-pay. Were you sleeved in NJ or at NYP? I'd love to know what your experience was like.

I was ready to go back to work right away, but I had scheduled time off so I took it. All of us MX patients travel within days of our surgery.. Some from Canada, Hawaii, NZ, etc. I'm thinking travel is ok as long as you have walking room and don't have to sit for hours at a time. Always check with your doc first though since he knows your situation best

Surgery on a Monday, out of the hospital Wednesday, fine for driving, work (no heavy lifting) and all normal activity by Friday.

Oh hey you got sleeved by one of my surgeon's colleagues. If my insurance doesn't cover me I'll be going over to the hospital over in NJ to self-pay. Were you sleeved in NJ or at NYP? I'd love to know what your experience was like.

I was sleeved at the Valley Hospital in NJ. It was a very good hospital experience overall. All surgical patients are in private rooms, they don't bother you in the middle of the night and the floor I was on was mostly patients who had some sort of Bariatric surgery. The nurses were very in tune to what our needs are. I highly recommend the hospital overall, very good reputation. I was very pleased with the doctors also. Dr. Bessler was the other surgeon I was looking into, when I was researching. Good luck!! Please feel free to ask any specific questions.

Chris

Surgery on Friday in Vegas (baby!). Enjoyed my time there walking all around post-op. Went back to work the following Wednesday. I would have been fine traveling after.

Sleeved on Tuesday, went back to work on Monday (I'm a chef and was on my feet for 9 hours straight) and hit the gym. Two weeks to the day flew to New Mexico from NC for an event. Never had a problem.

Thank you all for your input! I'm waiting impatiently for the summer.

When you say travel internationally, my question would be how long is your shortest flight?

Some disagree with me, but I think, for whatever reason, long flights have not worked out for me, even to the recent present. To the point I passed up an opportunity to go to jakarta recently. From Houston to Moscow, to Changhai to jakarta! noooooooo....lol

(but I got some awesome gifts, lol)

That is just me, and alot of people disagree.

A part of mine might be the way the weeks after my surgery unfolded for me. My Mom passed away unexpectedly a week to the day after my surgery, I had to get my drain removed and fly to VA from Houston. The next several days I just could not drink or eat, I thought tooo much and cried non-stop, and on the second leg of the flight home I had some really violent complications with my stomach that caused them to almost turn the plain around (whyyy!!! I was headed home), and had me getting a barium drink at 3 am in the morning. So my first flight experiences after surgery have some really negative complications.

Your trips sound like they will be more positive! Keep your luggage load light, so you won't have to worry about a ton of luggage if you do start feeling bad.

To get to my fiance's country usually requires a 16 hour flight. Very long, I know. I wouldn't be hopping on a plane for at least the first month or two after surgery. But it's tough being so far away and only seeing each other every 6 months or so. Hopefully we won't be waiting for that visa much longer :blink:

Hey all,

Because of projects at my work I am slated to have my surgery most likely after June 1st. I am in the 3 month pre-op diet required for my insurance. I was wondering if any of you would mind sharing how long it took you to be well enough to get back to work after sleeving (laparoscopic), absent any major complications of course. I'm just trying to get a general idea.

Also, I am in a long distance relationship. My fiance is half a world away and we are waiting for him to get his immigrant visa so he can come live with me in the US. Because he's from a developing country it's impossible for him to get a tourist visa to visit me here so I can only visit him while we wait. Does anyone have any advice about how long [how many months] you should wait before traveling internationally? This is of course also absent any serious complications.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

I was out for 3 weeks, but felt good enough to return to work the next week. I didn't have any pain, gas or discomfort.

For traveling Internationally it is probably important to know where you are traveling to and flying hours. I don't know how soon after your surgery you plan to travel, but depending on the length of the flight you may run the risk of blood clots. Flights lasting 8-10 hours or longer pose a greater risk. I would pose these questions to your surgeon.

I got the sleeve on a Friday and went to work the following Tuesday. It was too soon. I worked all that week and was exhausted. That Friday afternoon I was feeling pretty run down. My boss made me mad and I told him to shove his job and I quit ( lol). Today is the middle of the 1st week that I have no job. I'm still tired but feeling a little better. Will probably look for new job starting next week or the week after. I do not feel bad, just tired a lot. I think I did too much too soon and am now paying for it.

I had my surgery on Friday and was back to work that Monday. I have a desk job though, so that may have to be adjusted to your line of work. Good luck to you

Surgery on Friday in Vegas (baby!). Enjoyed my time there walking all around post-op. Went back to work the following Wednesday. I would have been fine traveling after.

My mother in law had her surgery there and did awesome...had surgery on a Friday and went back to work on Tuesday!!