Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone ... I was sleeved March 8 with Dr. Aceves. My first contact was with Nina one of the patient coordinators. Amazing! When we got picked up in San Diego, Ernesto picked us up and drove us to Mexicali. We had a quick break before we left town to let those who who could get a snack .... Get a snack ;). The drive is nice.... Scenery is gorgeous!

Arrived at the hospital and did pee and blood work. EKG and x-ray as well. Met with Dr.Campos who went over all the nutritional information and then to the hotel for the night. My husband and I did a little bit of grocery shopping at Soriana and then went out for dinner to one of the restaurants at the hotel.

Next morning, picked up at 7am and off we go! I'm second, Tina is first. I got wheeled in around noon and back to my room by 4:30. Recovery was rough --- I feel bad for throwing up and the pain was unbearable just below my left boob. That's where they put the drain. Ugh.... The drain. Slept most of the rest of the day and did get up to walk, pee and breathing exercises.

Next morning Devin and I did walk to the two pharmacies right by the hospital here looking for eye drops for him. It felt so good to get out in the fresh air but.... I may have over done it. Came back for a nap ;). Started my tea, apple juice, grape kool aid.... It was hard to get down. Baby sips that's for sure! If I took too big if a sip I'd pay the price by throwing up! Also did my first dye test to see if any leaks. None! Few!

Today, I was up bright and early anticipating the drain being removed. They told me 8:30! Wrong :(. Went for an x-ray for some more yummy barium stuff and then had chicken broth when I got back. I have to admit --- the chicken broth is good!! Drain came out about noon! Thank goodness cause I as starting to get testy! I gave up the IV yesterday and when it fell out at night I begged them to not put it back in! So they didn't! I was worried about the drain --- I've had one with a c-section and I can tell you I screamed bloody murder when that came out. This one wasn't too bad! Dr. campos took it out, had me count from 100 in 3's which was a great trick but I'm not that good in math and voila it was out. A small cry but all was good!!

I didn't realize just how much pain there would be for this surgery. My other sleeve friend said the same thing. My band was nothing like this. I don't thinking asked for any pain meds except for once when I got back to my room .... That's my fault - I probably should've. I semi trucking rolling over you is what I would describe it. But I know some people are lucky to not have any pain.

All in all I have to say the staff here are very competent and fantastic!! I would recommend it to others but would let them know about the pain.

Xo

Yay! Welcome to the losers bench! Good luck on your journey!

Congrats! I will be getting sleeved on April 1 by Dr Aceves!

I was also sleeved March 8th and just making it home from the hospital! I hope things get better for me seeing how it has been a painful experience thus far. Wondering how other March 8th sleevers are doing.

I had my sleeve surgery March 8, 2013. I am back at work today with a pillow in front and back of me. I'm having trouble getting my liquids in as I'm sure you all are. You can definitely feel when it's time to stop. I look forward to the next few weeks to be gone and I can concentrate on my weightloss instead of dehydration.

I feel even better than I did yesterday! I guess everyone is different. I do have a high pain tolerance and I also work at a desk. I'm not driving just yet, my co worker is picking me up and bringing me home this week. I just want to save my vaca days for some summer fun in the sun! Are you feeling better today missmarie124?

Yeah I understand! A little better today but kind of hungry. Wondering if I could so some light Soup or if that would be pushing it. Glad your up and running! That's encouraging to hear!

I only did Clear Liquids the day after the surgery. Day 2 I had some broth and i had some cream of chicken, just made sure there was no chunks in it. I've since had Tomato Soup which i doctored up with some basil and a touch of pepper. I also added a scoop of unflavored Protein Powder to the Soup to give me some of the Proteins that are required. I love cappachinos and I have found that if I take some vanilla Protein and add it to some unsweetened almond milk and mix in a tsp of instant Decaf folgers I have a cappachino that is delicious. Just make sure not to get it too hot or the protein will clump. It's great cold too! Just a few suggestions that have really helped me not feel so deprived.

Thank you so much for posting your story. I plan to go next summer to Dr. Aceves and can't wait!!!

Glad there are other March 8 people out there! I can honestly say that Dr. Aceves and his staff are amazing! I'm not back to work yet --- recovering while in vacation in Florida with my parents, husband and daughter and then return to Canada next week. I won't return to work until April 1 but I took extra time off only because for any sick occurrence I have to bring in a doctor note so I'm using up some sick time I have banked ;)

I'm on a strict clear liquid diet only right now --- that's his post op instructions. I'd love some cream Soup ;). Each doctor seems to be different --- looks like I won't be eating for 4 weeks!! But in 10 more days (15 days for revision surgery) I can add in some other stuff. Still a little sore but looking forward to recovering on the beach in a few days when it warms up here! Does anyone else have an issue with trying to get in all of the required liquids? I sure am! :(

I'm happy with my decision and so looking forward to all the new clothes that I just bought and to wear this summer!!

Alana

Alanah, I would take off that much too if I had the time off. I think it's wonderful you can relax and heal slowly. I'm scared to buy clothes yet, I don't know what size I'll be. If I lose about 50 pounds,I have a whole closet full of stuff. Ha ha. Are you guys weighing once a week or how is everyone doing that? Just curious. I'm going to weigh every Friday morning like I usually do. That's tomorrow, can't wait!

Shasha I'm a weigh-a-holic .... I'm so dang excited about this that I weigh myself every morning when I get up :). I did this at home though before surgery because I have a Fitbit scale I like to keep track and sync to myfitnesspal. I find it keeps me more accountable!

My parents left today to go back to Canada (my mom found out she has/had cancer 2 weeks ago) and she has to go to an appointment next week back home (they live here 6 months out of the year) so they left and I we still have a week here in FL before we fly home (too expensive to change our flights). Was feeling a little down so we took Kate to the Naples Children's Museum and walked around. The 2 1/2 hours there was great but came home and had a 4 hour nap ;). I have to remember that VSG is major surgery even though its done via a scope I need to slow down. Our plan tomorrow is the Zoo here .... At least it's getting me up and walking! Already prepared my husband I may need a nap afterwards! ;)

I've been sucking bad on the fluids --- my gosh I'm just not hungry or thirsty but since we just got back from the grocery store I managed to get down some Soup and some grape juice (diluted with water). At least I had no diarrhea today -- that sucked yesterday! I'll try a bit of Protein shake (ugh with water!) after the kidlet goes to bed!

I'm glad I took the extra time off work .... While I don't have a super stressful job (I book all of the surgeries in my town) it has a different kind of stress dealing with 6 doctors. Plus, this stuff with my mom has stressed me out so an extra week off work when we get back will be nice!

On and I woke up this morning and everyone (Mom, Dad and husband) all said they can already see the difference in my face and body! Yay!!!

Alana :)