Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting my hand up to support

Hi everyone

I'm new to this site and have had quite a long journey with my bands and sleeve which I have had great success with after overcoming my emotional boundaries.

I am putting my hand up to pay it forward and help others who would like extra support on their journey.

If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

Have a fabulous day.

Kye43

I'm 9 days out and I have done so well no depression no regrets untill tonight I just wanted a damn chip but I'm never willing to hurt my self I've never been addicted to food. I woe up and hugged my husband and sobbed till he woke up and made me promise to stop crying he is sooooo supportive. Hopefully I will feel better in a few hours

Hi rmubvasshrink,

Well done on having your surgery and I hope it all went well. I remember after having my surgeries (2 bands then the sleeve) the emotional roller coaster ride. I found there was the honeymoon stage then the reality stage. Once I hit the reality stage.....I had lots of tears also. It was almost like a grieving period. I spent so much time focusing on the on the pain of what I had to give up (unhealthy copious amounts of food) instead of focusing on the pleasure of what I DID want. That was a BIG one for me to get my head around. Once I started to shift my focus on what I could have instead of what I couldn't have, things started to fall into place. I started to see things in a different light and day by day it got easier.

The tears you shed now.....will someday soon be tears of joy!! As the days go by and the weight is falling off, you will look back on your journey and see it was worth all the hard work. :-)

I still have times when I have to get a certain food out of my sight (like Cookies, donuts). I buy things for my husband that I can't eat because he doesn't have a weight problem and I don't want him to feel penalized for the surgery I had. Most times it doesn't bother me, but the other night I wanted a cookie so badly that I had to put them out of my sight so I didn't eat one! I agree that it helps to focus on the foods that you CAN have and also to be creative with your cooking...herbs, spices, etc.

Thanks a lot you no its interesting because I have always been a healthy eater so I just felt frustrated cause I couldn't swallow without feeling so gassy or wired I just wanted to swallow normal but I think I'm drinking too fast. Then I have always been against carbs so this phase was particularly hard. I no I have to like carbs there not all bad. Lol I'm sure it won't be the last moment. I'm happy about my choice. I just have to be patient and put god in control. Thank you for the support.

Rebecca :)

Thank you pianomom ha my problem is cheeses I'll take it however I can get it! This will be my undoing. Omg there is an amazing sugar free cookie I use to by from Walmart there sooo good I'm sorry I forgot the brand. Blue and white pack. Any how my husband is severely over weight so I cook for him also this is truly a test because I have to be there for him also. But I'm sure it will continue to get better thanks for the support

You ladies are making me laugh.......at myself!!! LOL my hubby and I are both chocoholics. If he had chocolate in the house, I was like a sniffer dog and would tear the house apart to find it. (Slight exaggeration) but I'm sure you get where I'm coming from. I always allow myself to have things in moderation and I always pace myself. If I want my chocolate, then I prioritise when to have it. E.g. If I'm going out for dinner and know I'm likely to indulge in some 'fun occasional' food then I make a conscious decision NOT to eat anything unhealthy during the day and stick to good portion sizes. When I did my NLP course I learnt this really cool technique which is called 'Like to Dislike'. I practiced it on my hubby because he's a diabetic and really shouldn't eat chocolate (unless his sugar level is low). During the exercise I made him think about a piece of his favourite chocolate, made him think of the image until he was salivating, then I changed the image to represent a 'dog turd'. He no longer thinks of chocolate. Haha it's like if I was to say to you.....DON'T think of a blue tree...... I can almost guarantee you will think of a blue tree before you shift the image out of your mind. The same principle works when you say 'I don't want to eat cheese or cookies'.....first you're going to think of the cheese or Cookies. When you keep telling yourself you don't want it or can't have it, it makes you want it more.

Rebecca - occasionally I eat to fast ,especially when I'm busy and have not paced myself with my eating during the day. I too can get gassy with the 'burping' and sometimes a sharp pain in my back. Again, it's about listening to your body and working with it instead of going against it because the head is telling us otherwise. Look for what works well. Our bodies all work differently even though we can share similar symptoms.

I hope this helps,

Kim :-)

Man I'm going to tell my surgeon about this cite! It's so supportive you ladies don't no how much better the day has gone being Abel to talk with you! Today I did get all my Protein in I'm sipping slow! Ou ladies have a blessed day:)

Hi i had the sleeve 12-4 and i am down 45 lbs i feel good and am getting used to eating much less and differently. I feel so tired, exhausted like i have no energy does anyone know whats going on? Is this normal? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank u

Hey five0girl,

Congratulations on your weigh loss to so far!!! You should be feeling pretty proud of yourself!! Are you drinking plenty of Water? Sometimes we can feel tired when we are actually dehydrated. Also, has your surgeon advised you to take Vitamin supplements.? In my early days, I was slack at taking my Vitamins and drinking plenty of Water and I would get tired a lot. I also notice now, that when I'm bored, I get tired. When I notice this pattern of behaviour I switch my mindset and find something that can shift my focus away from being tired to doing something productive. My next suggestion would be that if the tiredness continues, get it checked out with your surgeon or local doctor.

Hope this has been helpful,

Kim :-)

Thanks so much. I am very proud and astonished by the weight loss! I guess i am really slacking with both i need to remind myself how important this is to my overall health, especially with the job i do. Thank u so much for your reply

You are more than welcome!! I alway used my phone to set reminders of when to have my supplements and I set an alarm every hour to remind myself to drink 200ml of Water. Once I got into the habit I stopped using the alarm......much to everyone's delight!! Haha. Anything else I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask. :-)