Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For this reason and many more, I would never have the VSG in Mexico. That being said, I am quite aware of my privlage in life. I was born into a great family with a certain amount of money and Cadillac insurance plans.

I don't judge, because had I not had access to the type of insurance I have, I might have found myself in mexico too, but I think it is important for people to realize that in most cases, its going to be very different than what you could expect in the states.

For this reason and many more' date=' I would never have the VSG in Mexico. That being said, I am quite aware of my privlage in life. I was born into a great family with a certain amount of money and Cadillac insurance plans.

I don't judge, because had I not had access to the type of insurance I have, I might have found myself in mexico too, but I think it is important for people to realize that in most cases, its going to be very different than what you could expect in the states.[/quote']

As university faculty I have a stellar health insurance plan and this surgery would have cost me a 75 co-pay. I chose self-pay in México ($8,750 + $850 for airfare) simply because I wanted the surgery ASAP and didn't want to go through the pre-op requirements that are months in duration.

The scenarios outlined here in no way reflect the experience I had with Dr. Aceves, which was far superior to any other hospital experience I or any other member of my family has had here in the U.S.

You may have a high socioeconomic status but your underlying, unspoken generalization seems to come from a place of ignorance. Are all Mexican hospitals and surgeons horrible? Of course not. Are all American hospitals and surgeons excellent? Of course not. To think to the contrary would be unwise.

I totally agree with the above statement! I originally planned on staying in the US and ended up in Mexico. The doctor I chose here in the states, a center of excellence, did not use a drain, and does not perform a single leak test because he is so confident in his work.

I'm glad I made the choice I did, I had great care in Mexico, a drain, 3 leak tests and an extra night in the hospital to recoup. I would have been miserable being sent home the day after surgery.

Confidence can also be arrogance and will catch up with people one day.

I am so sorry you have had such bad experience in Mexico. I had my sleeve done by dr. Juan Lopez Corvala and I have nothing bad to say about my staying in Mexico . There was always some available to answer my questions. Once again so sorry

As university faculty I have a stellar health insurance plan and this surgery would have cost me a 75 co-pay. I chose self-pay in México ($8,750 + $850 for airfare) simply because I wanted the surgery ASAP and didn't want to go through the pre-op requirements that are months in duration.

The scenarios outlined here in no way reflect the experience I had with Dr. Aceves, which was far superior to any other hospital experience I or any other member of my family has had here in the U.S.

You may have a high socioeconomic status but your underlying, unspoken generalization seems to come from a place of ignorance. Are all Mexican hospitals and surgeons horrible? Of course not. Are all American hospitals and surgeons excellent? Of course not. To think to the contrary would be unwise.

Like you, I have really good insurance and could of haf my surgery done here. However, I did not want to do the 6 month diet and other requirements, I could have lost an entire person by the end of that! I could have also saved some more money and had surgery here, but why not pay less and go to a doctor who frequently does the surgery.

My experience in MX was quite different then the OP.Probably the best care I have ever reveived...from the attentive nurses and doctors!

My surgery was delayed and come to find out my anesthesiologist's son and many others died while on a field trip in America.

To the Op: not sure what the purpose of your post is. You say that you are happy with the outcome so why the negative, all be it complaining post. Do you know why you were waiting? Maybe they were very busy and you were not number one on the surgery list. Maybe you were complaining to them so they made you wait, you know the analogy about getting more with honey. The poop and pee thing; not everyone has this, why would they have to tell you this if it doesn't happen to you, what were you eating?

I had Dr Garcia also and he was an amazingly skilled surgeon. I was polite and kind to the nurses and got the same back in return.

Sheesh to you .

For this reason and many more' date=' I would never have the VSG in Mexico. That being said, I am quite aware of my privlage in life. I was born into a great family with a certain amount of money and Cadillac insurance plans.

I don't judge, because had I not had access to the type of insurance I have, I might have found myself in mexico too, but I think it is important for people to realize that in most cases, its going to be very different than what you could expect in the states.[/quote']

Wow, I really gave you more credit than this. I can tell you financially, I could have had my surgery anywhere in the world, by any doctor I so chose. Guess what, I still went to Mexico. And believe me, I am SO glad I did. I see more complications & people experiencing pain from American doctors than anywhere else. Take some time and really do some research on the experience of Mexico sleevers, you'll find that by & large the only real complaints come from the 2 or 3 cheapest providers in Mexico.

My father was sleeved almost 3 weeks ago in an American hospital. I've had the opportunity now of witnessing his American experience. It makes me even more confident that my decision was the right one.

I too was sleeved by Dr. Garcia in Tijuana at Mi Doctor Hospital. I did not experence ANYTHING like you've described. Thank god! I'm so sorry your experience was rough. I went through R4AChange and my coordinators were amazing and there for anything and everything I needed. I did not see any naked people.. thank god! Didn't wait very long at alll.. and yes their way down there is a little different but I would reccomend it to anyone.

To the OP, thanks for sharing. Two weeks from today, Dr Garcia will be sleeving me. I'm still completely confident in my decision, but I do appreciate hearing the details of everyone's experiences. it helps me to be better prepared :)

Wow, I really gave you more credit than this. I can tell you financially, I could have had my surgery anywhere in the world, by any doctor I so chose. Guess what, I still went to Mexico. And believe me, I am SO glad I did. I see more complications & people experiencing pain from American doctors than anywhere else. Take some time and really do some research on the experience of Mexico sleevers, you'll find that by & large the only real complaints come from the 2 or 3 cheapest providers in Mexico.

My father was sleeved almost 3 weeks ago in an American hospital. I've had the opportunity now of witnessing his American experience. It makes me even more confident that my decision was the right one.

Can you tell us what you saw in the American hospital that you thought was not as good as the one in Mexico? Was it the hospital staff or the surgeon?

Well, I have excellent insurance so good that there is 50 co-pay. I am born into a high socioeconomic class. My husband has an extremely successful remodeling company. But I would never take money from my family or my husbands family who has plenty of it! My insurance having a small co pay comes with a price! I'm not a hoop jumper. So off to Mexico I went. Has nothing to do with my status, my family, where I am on the food chain! Plus 25000 can go towards a good college for my oldest boy. I would rather go to Mexico 1000x over then spend one more second in my fat suit!!!!!

Ok now I'm scared. I leave in 2 days. I don't want anybody seeing my big fat naked body on no OR table and I sure don't want to see anybody else's. OMG I have not freaked out till just now.

Tell me about it!! Me too!!!

Can you tell us what you saw in the American hospital that you thought was not as good as the one in Mexico? Was it the hospital staff or the surgeon?

Most of my problem with American providers is with the attitude of the surgeon & the staff

In Mexico, any little discomfort is taken seriously, examined, and addressed. Quite the opposite in American hospitals.

In Mexico they want to identify any possible issue before it becomes a problem, whereas whereas American facilities have repeatedly written off complaints as patients just being whiners.

And when there is a problem, American doctors first response seems to be to avoid litigation, whereas in Mexico the first response is to serve the patient.

I don't really blame the surgeons for this as much as I do society. They are practicing medicine in an environment that is continually seeking an opportunity to rake them over the coals. Whereas in Mexico a patients recourse is to ruin the surgeons future career, but it won't be to the financial benefit of the patient.

Does Dr Ponce use any other coordinator?

He also has Laurie.

sounds like they over booked, which is why their was lack of service, Hope everything about this journey for you is amazing though. I am at day 14, but had surgery here in us.