Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A year after band removal/revision to DS...

Ten days early, I had my 12-month check-up.

My weight is down a little over 90 pounds. It would be more if my diet in any way reflected that I'd like to lose weight. My labs are--two doctors have said so--great.

So far, the DS ( Soup or the salad and nothing else and to tell them not to bring the bread. And then eat the soup or salad. And then, if I was still hungry, to order a shrimp cocktail or chicken wings or something else high in Protein, and wait for THAT to arrive. By the time it gets there--he says--I MAY notice that I'm not as hungry as I was when I ordered it and I'll probably eat less.

And, while I should limit the candy, the gym is working off the candy I'm eating and if I want to do all that work and only lose the candy calories and a little bit more...it's my call.

But, of the two (STUPID) behaviors, the portion sizes are more of an issue for long term success.

So, that's where I am. Down about 110 pounds from my highest pre-op weight and down a little over 90 from my pre-revision weight. That leaves me about 50 pounds heavier (and 30+ years older) than I was when I finished basic training. Sooooo, I'm assuming that I get add on 15 pounds or so for being old and that I need to knock off another 35 pounds now.

Who woulda thunk I'd EVER need to lose only 35 pounds? Amazing.

Sounds wonderful, Sue! Congratulations on your progress and on staying so healthy in spite of your best efforts. I know how incredible it feels to have less than 50 pounds separating us from a "normal" weight. It is truly amazing! :biggrin1:

Does the caloric malapsorption of the DS dissipate over time like the RNY? In other words, are you going to be sorry you haven't made more of an effort to make your diet reflect that you want to lose weight?

Congratulations Sue!!

I know absolutely nothing about DS, but it sounds like it was definitely the right choice for you. Glad to know there are other options out there for people who aren't comfortable with the band or whom the band doesn't work for.

Thanks, all...

Margaret, I don't LACK for good food. I start each day with two or three slices of bacon and a one-egg cheese omelette and a small glass of OJ. Later on in the morning, I may have some Raisin Bran (from Trader Joe's) for the Iron boost. I go to the gym now and at the little Greek fast-food place, I have some steak on a skewer. dinner is usually fish, sometimes chicken, cooked in a healthy way...and some veggies. I try to remember to drink a Protein drink once a day. I avoid flour if possible, so there's not a lot of bread or Cookies in my life...but there is no flour in Fritos. And no flour in Peanut Butter cups. And not flour in Trader Joe's Dark Chocoate Roasted Pistacho Toffee..you see the problem? And, because the surgery was NOT on my head, that's what I do when my husband calls and says, "Hey, Babe...I'm gonna work a double," which means I'll see him when he pops in at midnight and goes right to bed. Boredom and missing my honey...not a good things for me.

I think your friend needs to have her doctor order up some labs for her. Those will tell the tale. I get them every few months.

35 pounds??? less than a bag of dog food, it'll be gone before you know it. ~Mandy

Hi Sue,

Congratulations on your exceptional weight loss. I am glad that the DS is working for you.

Babs in TX

334/190 ish

GeezerSue, I have a friend...she also did/does kinda the same thing...she was banded before me about 6 months and has done great but I have to tell you… to date she has met and now is under her goal. That’s fine but she also eats alot of stuff not good for her. Infact never gets in the Protein that she needs, she eats candy all the time...cakes, pies, chocolate ...hardly ever real food. She said she has to work too hard for that stuff to go down. It takes more time to chew meat up than eating a pie...lot less work. Her and I are very different I'm doing it the healthy way. Mine isn't coming off as fast as hers but I'm healthy and I look good. She on the other hand isn't looking that good. Black circles under her eyes...way too skinny but yet she doesn't see it because she feels fine. Folks have told her but she just thinks they are jealous because she's lost so much weight. That's not the case at all...If and when she gets a cold or worse...she's not going to be strong enough to fight it. Why can’t see that! Her and I have the same Dr…I stepped out and shared my concerns with him because she thinks she’s tricking everyone because she knows what to say to him and not. He’s now keeping a closer eye on her. She’s not been honest with him and many others around her. All I'm saying… folks need to be smart. Our bodies need certain things...yes we could live off crap but when we need our bodies to fight the big fight...if all we've fed them is crap then all you're going to get back is crap!! I feel sorry for my friend because she can't see it. All she can see is how skinny she is, and how good she feels about herself!! When she looks in the mirror she doesn’t see the circles or how thin her hair is!! She only see’s skinny!! Guys, we have to work to give our bodies what they need!! Be honest to yourself, sure you can lie to those around you ...but your body knows the truth!! Good luck to All!

Something is going on here, She can't eat crap sweets cakes pastires and Lose weight!! the calories count you know!

She is up to something thats way beyond the band.

You say she lost it the wrong way your doing it the healthy way, Is it any suprise i mean surly she had/has food issues thats why she endid up needing WLS to start with. If you are doing it so wondefully why did you need the band if you have totally retrained your own mind and changed your lifestyle why couldnt you acheave that pre op?

It does sound as if your friend is doing something that we wouldnt advocate she found a way to lose weight and she ran with it. I dont for one moment think she totally lives on crap there is no way she can live on crap and lose weight. all those crappy things go past a band easy peasy and she would simply not lose the weight.

At its best you should be loseing 1 to 2 lb a week with a band, and it has a expected excess weight loss of 50 to 60%.

How can your friend eat crap and end up under weight it just does not sound right even with a band the crap passes a band its calories absorbed.

I think something else is going on there i trully do.

Geezer Sue well done, We have a support group for struggling bandsters, people seeking revison wouldbe interested in your expereinces with the band and DS.