Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Look like January 9th is the most popular day to have surgery, there are FIVE having surgery that date.

Oh I just love hanging with the Popular crowd!!!!!!

This should be a great adventure, but this one will end in success because we will stick together through thick and then thin!!!

Amy:)

I am so worried that I am going to fail at this! And I am having trouble picturing life post-op.... What were the first few weeks like? Did you crave sugar? When/did you start exercising? What sorts of things do you have for Breakfast and lunch (my hardest meals b/c they are usually on the run)?

Did you have this PBing thing that I've been reading about (it sounds kinda scary!)?

Wph (sorry, not sure of your real name), I worried about failing, too. I STILL do. : I'm 41 yrs. old, I've been over weight since my late teens. So I'm not one of these people who gained weight due to a pregnancy, illness, or used to be an athlete, etc, and then just had trouble taking it off. I fought my weight for 20+ years. When you repeatedly fail, and fail again, and then again...even if you manage to lose some weight and then you find yourself right back where you started (or worse) 6 months later...well, it makes it really hard to believe that "this" time will work.

In previous weight loss attempts, I often had a "stop" date in mind. I did BFL for 12 weeks...but after 12 weeks, that was it....and the weight came back. Most people work really hard to lose a "set" amount of weight, or for a certain occasion (this summer, that wedding, before the vacation), and then you revert back to old habits or simply give up because it's so HARD.

But here's what's different about the band. You *can't* really give up. Oh, sure, you can work really hard to work *around* the band. You can not get fills, you can eat ice cream all the time, etc...but if you simply follow the guidelines (protein and veggies first) MOST of the time, you find that it DOES WORK. And when you feel full with just a small amount, you're NOT feeling deprived (like most diets), so you don't want the junk and the ice cream as much. Note that I said "as much." Shoot, I still want junk...I want something junky right now. But I'm not really hungry, so it's much easier to ignore that "voice" in my head...I'm going to go get some Water in a few minutes, start working, and then, before I know it, it'll be dinner time anyway. So try not to worry too much about failing. Take it one step at a time. :)

My first few weeks post-op were pretty easy. I was a lucky one in that the first 2-3 weeks, I really wasn't that hungry. I found that if I gulped liquids, it was pretty uncomfortable...so I sipped all day long. Also, and I think this is VERY IMPORTANT for EVERY new bandster. Before you go to surgery, get RID of the scales. Give them to a friend, have someone hide them (my DH hides them for me), throw them in the trash. I'm SERIOUS. The first few weeks after surgery are emotional. Some people have mood swings from the anesthesia, some people are mourning food, some people want to have lost 20 lbs right NOW simply because you've made that first step. But the first 6wks really ARE about healing. Stick to your liquids/mushies/soft foods regimen that your doctor recommends and do NOT worry about the weight loss. Consider any loss a bonus, but focus ALL of your attention on doing what's right for the band in this healing time. Even within that healing phase, you can practice making GOOD CHOICES for your liquids. Choose skim milk instead of a milk shake, eat cottage cheese (for a soft food) instead of mashed potatoes...but even then, you're adjusting to a new life, so if you need the milkshake one day :), drink it.

I did find that, once I moved off of liquids, that it was harder. I started getting hungrier and I missed "eating." By moving to mushy foods, it was just "normal" enough that I really wanted to BE back to normal. So I did things like pureed Beans with cheese on top, which for me (because of the cheese) is something I normally wouldn't do, so it was a treat.

By the time I was eating solids for a few weeks, and feeling NO restriction, I'm pretty sure that I was GAINING weight. But since the scales were gone, I couldn't panic about it. :D I went for a fill instead.

I never really craved sugar any more than I crave it now. I always want sweet tea, I always want chocolate. I CAN say that, in the beginning, when I hadn't had ANY of it, it was easier. I do think that you "de-tox" from the carbs and sugar IF you're avoiding them...but once you start them, you want them again. : But still, all of those cravings are so much easier to deal with now!

I started exercising about 2 (maybe 2.5) months post-op. I'd lost enough weight by then (again, no clue of numbers, but I could tell in my clothing), that I felt like I could with trying to buy some workout clothes. I do think exercising is VERY important, but for LOTS of reasons beyond losing weight. It's good for your heart, bone density, lungs, blood pressure, and more importantly for me, my MOOD. Exercise is an endorphin release for me...best anti-depressant I've ever tried. :)

Breakfast and lunch my band is pretty tight. I have to be *really* careful at breakfast. Some mornings, breakfast is just hot tea with a bit of sugar. Most often, it's a Kashi GoLean or South Beach bar on the way to my workout. Lunch is also very small, depending on how the band feels that day. An example might be 4 or 5 bites of tuna salad on crackers, or another Protein Bar. Today, it was some Hawaiin chicken and Shrimp salad. :D But I always try to think Protein and produce FIRST. If your meals are on the run, you'll find portable things that work well.

Yes, I've PB'd. :) It really is NOT a big deal most of the time. Usually a week or so after a fill, I forget that my band is tighter and do something stupid like eating too fast, or too big of a bite, or the wrong food. I haven't PB'd now in weeks. The main thing, I think, is that it really IS a manageable occurrence. If you slow down and LISTEN to how your band feels, you can avoid them.

Whew! What a long-winded post! I hope that it helps some. :D

Cindy

Hello Everyone!

Sunshine: I know exactly how you feel about people being tired of you yo yo. Everytime my family see's me, they always comment "So, what diet are you doing this time?" Or just tell me to give up and accept being fat! I tell them all I will never give up and will keep on trying until I make it!:P

People can be so negative. My husband, mom (who is taking me to the doctor) and friend (who had the lapband put in a year ago and is very supportive of me) know about what I am doing. My husband tells me that the money doesn't matter, what matters is my peace of mind and my happiness. He has seen me suffer with this new diet, that new diet, gaining, losing over and over and over and over.................

Feeling moody when I can't eat this or that, irratable, mad, sad, etc.

I feel so anxious and can't wait. I didn't get to exercise yesterday, my mom and I ran so many errands. I did walk a lot around the mall! Today I finished my Christmas shopping. Walked around the shops. That is a lot more than I was doing! I am going to bring my elyptical machine in from the garage and do that too.

How is everyone else doing??? Audree:clap2:

Hi group! This thread is getting so huge already! I'm so glad we have a big crowd for January.

My exercise regimen is totally in the toilet this week. I think it's just Christmas coming up around the bend. Plus, I am working 2 extra days this week, which didn't help with trying to get all my shopping/chores/etc done!

I was telling a nurse at work today about surgery, and she was so so excited for me. She kept saying how proud she was of me. Really warms the heart to get that kind of reaction, ya know?

Hope everyone's doing well. 5 more days till pre-ops starts!

Maria

Thanks Cindy for your post. I really appreciate it when people that are banded walk us through what we should expect. I thank God for this forum!

Audree

Wph74...i don't i have a pre op routine. As a matter of fact, I have been on a 2 month last supper. That's really productive huh? lol From what I gather I just show up at the hospital the day of the surgery. Considering I am going to be in Florida until the day off, I hope there is nothing else I have to do. I am going to email one of the people tomorrow to follow up. My excitement is dwindling just because I feel like I have been waiting so long, although it has onely been like a month lol

Hey guys,

Just updating on things. I have been so busy with finals this week. One more and I'm over :clap2:. Now I'm off to bed soon to wake up and take the train to school to save money on gas. I can't wait for my surgery, I'm so sick of people at work asking me if I'm eating a lot more since I know I won't be able to eat, or what kind of surgery I'm getting blah blah blah. I feel like saying it is none of their business :phanvan. I told my boss about the surgery, ONE PERSON and now EVERYONE knows. I hate that! Honestly, I only wanted my parents, one or two close friends to know and that's it. Apparently not.

Also my job is stressing me out so bad. The holidays in general are stressful. I can't wait until it's over! Does anyone have plans for New Years? My friend and I are trying to go to Boston for a couple of days, if not then we'll have a small get together at my house with another couple.

I'm so glad I can vent on here, I'm glad I have support. I guess I'll be off to bed :notagree so I can make the 8:24 AM train:faint:!

Peace,

Andrea

what are Pb's as mentioned in a previous post?

PB's stand for productive burp. Its when food gets stuck and you have to burp it back up. Some even refer to it as throwing up, but it really isn't because the food has not reached the stomache, there is no acid that come with it. It simply is the food coming back up. Happens when you take too big of bites, eat too fast, eat the wrong type of foods, or when you don't chew chew chew.

Also, and I think this is VERY IMPORTANT for EVERY new bandster. Before you go to surgery, get RID of the scales. Give them to a friend, have someone hide them (my DH hides them for me), throw them in the trash. I'm SERIOUS. The first few weeks after surgery are emotional. Some people have mood swings from the anesthesia, some people are mourning food, some people want to have lost 20 lbs right NOW simply because you've made that first step. But the first 6wks really ARE about healing. Stick to your liquids/mushies/soft foods regimen that your doctor recommends and do NOT worry about the weight loss. Consider any loss a bonus, but focus ALL of your attention on doing what's right for the band in this healing time.

Cindy, great advice. I think I am going to do this because I am such a slave to the scales when I'm trying to lose weight. I weigh 4 or 5 times a day and freak out if the scales show I'm up an ounce. So, before I go to surgery, I'm going to have my DH put them in the attic or get them out of the house.

Cindy,

Thank you SO much for the words of wisdom! (btw my name is Whitney) I actually pasted a copy of your email into a word doc to hang onto it for future reference. And I am going to toss the scale - or hand it off to my DH to stash it someplace - FANTASTIC suggestion. :cheeky My sister was anorexic and so I have always had a thing about scales (not liking them as a measure of health etc). I have struggled with my weight my whole life as well - for a brief time in high school I was thin (growth spurt) and have steadily gained weight since then (with a few yo yos in between). I am 32 and do not have any kids yet and am actually doing this in part because I do not want this to get any worse with baby fat etc. I want to be able to keep up with any little peanuts that I have! I used to work out at the gym and when I was in college I love playing tennis and I am hoping to use these tools to replace food as often as possible when I am stressed. Shopping is about the only other thing that gives me the same feeling of release (well almost the only other thing) :) and I am determined to not let shopping be my new "best friend". It is SO good to hear that the PBing isn't that awful - I have to say - it will definintely motivate me to eat small and chew often. Ick. Do you still attend support groups? Does your insurance cover the fills?

Thank you again!

Whitney

Angyl - oh sister! ME TOO! I have been eating like it is going out of style! Things that I haven't eaten in years :hungry: ! You are SO CLOSE! When you feel up to it - let me know how things go!

Andrea-

That is just WRONG! Your boss sounds like a schmoo. With respect to your coworkers - I am reading a book called "Taming of the Chew" and it talks about how there are always people who are threatened by change even if it is in someone else and they get jealous. Stick it back in their face and tell them that you are planning all the things that you are going to do as you succeed- like that strappy red dress sister! :biggrin1: It is their issue - don't let them make it yours!

I am going to see the Boston Pops for New Years! (I went to law school and worked in Boston for 7 years and am now in Hartford.) Are you having your surgery at Brigham & Womens or Mass General?

I am schedulede for January 12th and I have a strict pre-op diet for 2 weeks also. 10-14 days actually. Liquids only and that being diet products like propel and crystal lite, fat free broth, fat free popsicles and Protein Drinks. That's it.