Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!! What if I LOSE WEIGHT???

Yes you will be absolutely SHOCKED at how much of your time and energy is freed up when you aren't obsessing about food and your weight.

I started running. Now my time is filled with reading about running, planning runs, finding events, etc. My goal is to run a whole 5k, then a 10k, etc. I also started embroidery. It's easy.

Here's a good list of hobbies. Maybe you haven't thought of some of these before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hobbies

As someone said, life will not be perfect after weight loss. But I want to add that whatever happens to you, you will feel more confident and have more energy to meet the challenge.

Maybe I'm a perfectionist or hyper-critical, but I know that I will never be "done" working on my body. Once I lose weight, then my focus will shift to other things like toning up and increasing my stamina and flexibility. Maybe I'll even try (gasp!) jogging. There will always be a new challenge on the horizon.

Do exercise goals. I want to someday take a kick boxing class. I am considering signing up for a boot camp class taught by an ex-marine in January.

Another thing you may try is to buy a pair of pants that are many sizes too small and work to get into them. Continue to do that and before you know it you will be at your goal. :)

Best of luck to ya. I think the mental aspect is 98% of what it takes to lose the weight with the band.

I understand where you are coming from. I think part of my fear comes from what might be expected of me. I always need a challenge and have tried to fill my life with them. Since I am currently disabled due to pain and weight I try to help in the community. But I'd like to go back to work doing something fun (and profitable). Then I wonder what people will want from me when I have all this extra energy? Can I live up to expectations,etc? I guess I'm a mess too. Lord knows I have time to think about this. I'm not even banded yet and I expect it will be over a year before I'm at a weight I can work. :eek:

Maybe it is just the me afraid of change that is trying to sabatoage this before I even get started? Gee I'm a mess, fear of success, fear of failure and fear of change so let's add fear of starting! :help:

Too late, I've made up my mind...band this tummy and let's get this party started! :clap2:

thanks for being here....Cat

:) :bolt: :funscale:

I've always wanted to SCUBA Dive. Can you do that with a band? If so, I'm going to get certified and go diving. I imagine myself looking like a Bond girl in my wetsuit...

A girl can dream, can't she?

btw, I've had the same concern, but it's more of an exciting concern for me. I want a new bicycle, I have a 17 month old son who needs my energy, I want to get involved in the community. I feel like the only thing holding me back is lack of energy. After a 14 hour day, when I get home the only thing I want to do is rest. I am looking forward to my boundless energy!

Thanks, too, for the list of hobbies! And how great that you sold your things and moved to Africa! Have you been on Oprah yet??! :) I think your story would be a fabulous one to share.

Nathalie

You guys have really helped me think about things. I think what it really is, as someone mentioned, is that the actual losing weight is the fun part. Well- of course it will be hard work but it will be neat to watch how my body changes, get compliments, realize I can buy new cuter clothes and all that. Maintaining seems like such a chore and BORE. That's where I think as many of you have mentioned, I should plan to set an exercise goal or some sort of goal to work on once I get to my goal weight. Exercise is something I dread, so I want to work on that and have a goal to do a 5k or bike race or something. I did always find kick boxing interesting......and am I too old to learn hip hop dancing? hmm..MB I could talk hubby into taking a ballroom or swing dance class with me.NEway You guys all had such excellent thoughts and ideas.

Another thought I had was that sometimes life seems so mundane the only things I look forward to is food, or events that feature food prominently:rolleyes: Birthdays, thanksgiving, ben&jerry's while watching tv with hubby late at night. I need to find different things to look forward to. Little things. MB I will pick up scrapbooking again or being better at my journaling. Little things to do when I'm bored and just want some me time.

HECK enjoy all the attention.. I remember back in 90 I lost 50 lbs..I was still about 230 then, anyway I walked into a room and this cute guy almost fell off his chair it was so funny...but, I felt so good..I feel so gross now, I just want to loose and loose it now..I will worry about what to do then later..enjoy life without having to worry about seats, and clothes, and breathing..my thing is mourning the loss of my best friend the food..geri

Maybe its my age, but I really came to grips with my situation years ago. I mean I was/am fat, but I didn't let it stop me from living my life. I worked, traveled, had friends, etc. I even married several years ago after being divorced for 28 years. I want to lose so I will be here longer, be healthier, and able to enjoy more physical activity. I want to be able to go on trips and not get so tired.

I am trying, even with the band, not to make food the focus. I see so many of us go from being fat, to be obsessed with what we are going to eat next, order at a restaurant, handle dinner with friends. Why? Let food be secondary in our thoughts. That's what I'm striving for.

I'm not putting my life on hold until I lose weight. I am looking forward to more time and enjoying it more. With a little help I am hoping that I just continue to live and expand my activities. Maybe I'll be ready to take Europe on for a vacation!