Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Texarkana Bandsters

Joe smoothies is on Summerhill in somthing Oaks shopping center. It's a most across from Cat Fish King. It's where Weight Watchers is located.

Ceinman - I had all of the same fears you did, but I came to a point where I was thinking like this. "I HAVE to do something about my weight, I'm 31 and I feel terrible. I'm dying, and I know it. I don't believe in surgery for weight loss, but this is my absolute last stab at trying to lose weight...IF it even works." I researched everything I could find and met as many folks with lapband that would talk to me before hand. I watched Sugarbear go through her surgery on here. I learned of all the terrible things that could go wrong and it came down to this...is it worth saving my own life and facing my days with better quality life to risk all the bad stuff? Could I handle having to have addition surgeries IF something goes wrong???

I guess you know the answer, huh?

It was SO worth it. I'm only halfway to my goal weight, but I feel so much better than I did this time last year. I would sweat and be short of breath when I got out of bed, but now...a little less that 12 months later...I can RUN 3 miles in 30 minutes! I don't have to rest or take naps throughout the day either! I enjoy keeping up with my 3 year old!

Even if I don't lose another pound, it's been so worth it. Even if something goes wrong, it been worth it to have a whole year of not worrying about my weight (in the sense that I need to do something) and dying every day.

I met the one lady who our Drs. had to remove her band because of erosion (the worst that can happen to us) when I donated blood in Feb. I asked her is she would do it again and she said she was scheduled for surgery if she can afford it in June! That was so encouraging to me.

Sorry to ramble, but this was the best decision I've ever made...even if something bad happens and they have to fix me.

Honestly I haven't heard too much negative stuff about the band. I have surfed around and found some reading where people have had the band for several years. Eight or nine is about the longest of anyone I have chatted with. Everything was okay with them. Most of the negative comments come from people that aren't treating the band properly, and most I have chatted with admitted it. I can tell you that when I have a problem, things comming back at me, I know exactly what happened. Ate something entirely to fast, didn't chew nearly well enough, ect. There isn't any procedure that is entirely fool proof. I think most go through fine. Of course everyones body is different. Erosion is about the worst thing that can happen. It is a risk I was willing to take, still am. I am a little over a year out. It has to be your decision. For the most part I believe there are more success stories than the other way. That is why I chose this procedure over others. I researched others throughly as well. As you probably did. I haven't regretted my decision. Good luck with your final decision. This is not a permanent thing if you decide you no longer want it. If you get half your stomach cut off, they won't be putting it back. Take care and know we are here for you whatever you decide. You may also want to go back to your dr. and ask questions if you are unsure about some things. Good Luck.

I WISH I could have done this surgery years ago. It is definitely a tool you have to work with but it is a awesome tool ! No one has regretted doing this that I have talked with. I have a lot of people ask me if I would do it again and the answer is YES loud and clear.

Hey everyone!

Ceinman, This has to be your decision and yours only. As for me, I would do it again in a heatbeat. It's the best thing that has ever happened to my health. I haven't heard any horror stories about having a band for several years. You have to take care of it. It's a lifetime commitment that you have to be serious about. I'm sorry if I scare you, but I promise if you do decide to have the surgery and afterwards when you lose some weight, you will wonder why you ever had any doubts. I had less than 100 pounds to lose. My loss has been kinda slow compared to others, but every pound counts. With every pound you lose, the other health issues of being obese go down also. Blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, cholosterol, joint diseases (and pain). There are numerous other things that being obese causes that can be corrected with losing weight. Just life in general is much better for me since I got my band. I can do things that I would have NEVER attempted when I was big. I'm not a spring chicken, but I promise you that my day is MUCH more productive than it was even last year at this time.

We are here for you if you have more questions. That's the purpose of the whole thread. To support each other in their decision to fight this thing called obesity.

Yall stay in the box today. I think I have found another one this weekend. I have been sooo tight this weekend. I have been forced to stay in the corner of the box. lol Drink your water! and Have a good day!

lisa

lisa must be something in the air down here in sugarhill 'cause i am so tight it is hard to even think about food!!!! but i am also down 2 more lbs!!!!!

Good for you Susan on the 2 pounds. I haven't weighed in a week. I know I haven't lost anything, but I haven't been able to eat right. I'm gonna have a small un-fill my next appointment. I can't eat what I'm supposed too. I'm wondering if we didn't get Water logged during the last flood. lol

Well, yall will be happy to know...... the dirt pile is GONE! It's just little piles that I have to go straighten out today before it starts raining again this week. My house is promised to be delivered the week of May 5th and I'm really beginning to get excited. I was worried about that dirt pile ending up sitting right in front of the front door (and all over the house, for that matter). I know moving that dirt pile has taken a while, but I figure it's like working out in the gym. Lifting weights, doing crunches and working the legs and the Gloooootius MAXimus. Heavy on the Maximus. lol I have Popeye arms! So, I guess that dirt pile was good for something besides filling up holes!

Well, yall be sweet today!

lisa

Yeah Lisa and Go hippmom!

Hi everybody. Amy got back in touch with me today. She said that she was not entirely familiar with the test tube Protein issue, and wanted me to bring her a sample to look at. So, next time I have a "lull" in my sleep lab schedule, I'll bring her a sample. She went on to say that whole food Proteins are the best, and whey protein is probably the next best thing to whole. It made the issue as clear as mud.......maybe it'll help some of y'all. When I can bring her some Liquid Protein, I'll let everybody know what she says about it.

Good Morning Bandsters!!

I really got a lot out of last Monday's meeting. It was really nice to meet you Sugarbear and Tpagern. You both are doing good. 50 lbs is quite an accomplishment.

I get a little discouraged when everybody is always asking me how much have I lost and they can tell that by looking at me, I haven't lost much. I'm not losing as fast as "some" people expect me too. But, no matter, I just keep going along slowly. I've only lost 26lbs since Oct. and at least they were lost and not gained!!

Since last Monday, I've been keeping a food journal and counting the Protein and calories. I fall short everyday of the recommended requirements, but at least I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

I've been getting in at least 30 minutes of exercise daily, walking and yard work,etc. The scales have once again started to move. I haven't had a fill in @ 2 months now.

Just haven't had a chance to get in to see Dr.K.

There is one negative aspect of being banded that no one ever mentioned to me before, and that is that your esophagus has to work to push food down. Just as any muscle that is really getting worked it builds itself up and thickens, your esophagus will do the same thing over time. This will further constrict your passageway for food to go thru. This tells me that this is one reason we should really chew up our food and eat the things that don't have such a hard time going down.

Ya'll have a great day !!

OH! I FOUND SOMEONE'S BOX~~AND I GOT IN IT!!!!

Edited by newjulie

THAT'S MY BOX!!!!!! I told yall that it would end up somewhere else. It floated away during the last flood. You keep it Julie. I'm gonna get a steel one so I have to stay in it. :)

lisa

ohhhh julie do like yard wk??? i love working in the yard and right now mine is so pretty lots of green grass and pretty flowers. and i have a ton of roses blooming right now!!!! so that is what i do for my exercise 'cause i dont have time to do much more than work and try to keep the weeds at hand. also i am a master gardener and we spend a lot of time on different projects the mg's do. i am a verrrry slow loser i am down 56 lbs since 7-06 but if i had not had the band done there is no doubt in my mind i would be over 300 and then i couldnt get out and enjoy my gardening so much!!!

Julie, you are not doing badly. I am over a year out and only down 50 lbs. BUT..like you, it is 50 lbs. down...not up like I am sure it would have been the rate I was going. Slow but sure, is what I have been. Mine has been so gradual it makes it harder for people to notice. That's okay. I am just now having people say, you've lost some weight, haven't you? Oh well. I will just keep plugging along. The journal is a good idea. I am going to step up the Protein and exercise, and see if it gets me moving a little quicker. You just keep plugging along, slow is better than notta. If you keep a journal, you will know where to increase and decrease. Hang in there. The esophagus thing...interesting. No one told me that either.

Plain, it is always best to get your nutrients from food, but everyone can't get in everything all the time. The supplements are good for what they are supposed to be...Supplements. Of course this is my opinion, based on some reading. I thought they were selling those tubes in the estore on noscales.com hmmm...thought Amy would know about that. Keep us posted.

Hi everyone!

No, Julie, I think I live far enough up on a hill not to need any floaties right now. lol Thanks, I'll keep it in mind next time it starts raining.

Yall, we have to remember that this band thing is a SLOW process. I know, I know. I am in as big a hurry as yall are about losing it, but we knew when we went into this that it's a slow process. I'm with Sugarbear about the supplements. That's what they are designed for. In case you are not getting enough in your regular diet.

Now, that my dirt pile is gone (yay) I'm gonna have to find some other kinds of exercise to keep me going. I mowed two yards yesterday, I think that was a good start. lol When and IF my house EVER gets here, I will be occupied with that, so that will keep my mind off snacking. Tanner will be out of school soon and there's summer activities to keep us going, so I'm looking forward to the next few months.

Yall stay busy, drink Water and stay in MY box Julie! lol :tt2:

Yall have a good day!

lisa