Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Texarkana Bandsters

Hi Lisa. I am feeling pretty good. Thanks for asking. I am a lot more sore today. But that too shall pass. I have been walking as much as possible. I want this air in me to disapate. Can't get a good deep breath. I know it will leave sooner or later. I have had about three cups of chicken broth today. I have a little hunger but not bad. I think it is going to be a long two weeks. But I will make it. I want to heal correctly. My post-op sheet says I can have strained creamed Soup, but I haven't yet. Just the broth. I guess I can have sf hot chocolate. The milk might be good for Protein. I doubt the broth has much in it. I will be glad to get to mushies. I haven't laid down at all today. Want to keep moving to get rid of the air. Take care. Will post again tomorrow.

I've just finished reading the last "thread" on the Texarkana Bandsters site & I was so disappointed! I wanted more... I am new as you can see & researching the Lap Band procedure - I know nothing other than what ya'll have shared & I certainly have enjoyed reading your posts - you seem like you become family! One question I can think of right away is "Is there a maximum weight for a candidate?" I'm also rather like Sugarbear - very concerned with costs - don't think my insurance will cover this & I have two GROWING stepchildren that eat me out of house & home! Ha! Any replies will be appreciated & thanks to all who have participated - it's been a big help so far!

- WantingToBeSmallerMelanie:help:

Hi Melanie. I just got banded yesterday. I don't know about a weight maximum. I have read on other threads that some insurance companies might deny you if your BMI is really high. Someone was turned down by insurance for having a BMI of 58. My insurance pays 50%. Of course they write off a lot. I have a couple of friends that didn't have any insurance that had it done in Texarkana. The cost is considerably less with no insurance. They can show you a price sheet at Wadley. I think the hospitals part was 18,000. No insurance was 10,000, with anesthesia. They bill separtely but the amount is shown on their paper. I had all the testing done before the first of the year. My insurance paid for that. I had an hysterectomy last May, therefore I had met my out of pocket limit. My two friends that did not have insurance borrowed the money. They said it was no worse than paying on a car. Neither of them have regrets. Also if you insurance won't pay, you can appeal the denial. I have seen a lot of that on this website. If you will get your pcp to write them a letter of medical concern they many times reverse their decision. Mine wrote telling of my high blood pressure, borderline diabetic, another wrote one about my back and knees. They both recomended this procedure. I got all that together and sent it to them at one time. You don't have to have all those conditions. Most obese people have some health related problems. Even the ability to do certain things, like exercise, dress, ect. Yes, we are a family. It is so great having so many friends that "understand" what we are going through before and or after banding. There is a multitude of info on many threads. I like this one because we are al banded at the same place by the same two doctors. Our diets, surgery ect. is alike. Many different doctors require different things. Some no pre-op diet, some longer than what we did. There is a seminar n Texarkana at Wadley where you can actually meet and discuss any questions with these two surgeons. I believe you can get those seminar dates of the "PS we care site."

Welcome aboard and ask any question you would like. Someone here can answer. Take care.

Hello to you all...it has been an awesome day today...ready for SPRING!!!

Blondylocks...wishing you the best on your pre-op...keep in mind the things that we have all shared about this experience...it is for but a short while and then life will change for the better...hang in there...remember to not sacrifice nutrition for lack of taste...drink the liquids you need so that you don't get weak and run down...keep in touch with your progress...when is your surgery date again?

Sugarbear...sounds like you are doing wonderful...it took about a week for the pressure of the gas pockets to disappear for me...the walking helped a lot, but I seemed to get more in the upper part of my chest and shoulder area...it too will "pass"..LOL

Lisa, how are you doing? hopefully well...I go for my 2nd fill on Monday...you should be getting one soon too, right?...I am feeling the need for one and getting more weight off...

lo2us and Melanie...I encourage you to ask any questions you have about the band...I think most of us on this thread are fairly new to the band, but I think we can give you a fresh outlook on what to expect...unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot about the insurance portion of the band (I am not real clever on those types of issues...Thank God for Betty), but I will try to do my best to help...I do know that the Texarkana Team has been a great experience and I will recommend them to all who are interested from this area...

We (Texarkana Bandsters) have grown together as a "Banded Family" because we have so much in common and that is worth a lot when you are looking for support in such a major decision as this...I am glad to have these ladies to talk to and to get advice and support from as well as comfort...Obesity is a disease and it is not easy to overcome alone...

Hey vlynn my date is march 21 12 days to go!!!!!..you get your computer fixed??

Glad your feeling a lil better sugarbear!!!

as for melanie and lou2us i also learned alot of info about lap band off the DFW bandster.com site .. you can find out alot from them ,they r all so helpful!!!

Goodluck in your search

donna:D

Hey vlynnfogg. I am getting a fill the 19th. Looks like you are doing great. Keep it up! Me on the other hand, seem to be stuck. I have tried everything. Since, I got my meds right, I feel lots better and am now able to walk my mile or so everyday. That should help. But I am looking forward to a fill.

Sugarbear, stay positive, it will just get better and better as each day goes by.

Melanie, the doctors also have another web site that you can get information from. noscales.com You also have the ablility to ask them and the staff questions. Maybe that will help with the info.

Donna, You go girl. You can do it too. We are here to support you all the way!

Yall have a good day!

lisa

Here's what Shelby Brown in billing at Wadley emailed me about cost:

Hi Shannon,

We have a cash price for uninsured folks. It is $10,000 for the hospital

portion and $5,500 for the physician portion. This amount has to be paid up

front before the surgery.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Shelby

Hope this helps!

Hello to all. Here I am 48 hours after surgery. Still drinking broth. I want my band to heal properly, so I am going to tough it out. healing correctly will surely have its advantages in the long run. I sure don't want to pop a stitch in there. I had a cup of sugar free hot chocolate last night. It was wonderful! Good change from the chicken broth. This surgery is not the easiest thing I have ever done but is by far the hardest. I am just so glad it is over and so thankful that I had so many of you supporting me through that pre-op diet, and now the post-op diet. They didn't mention anything about the support group meeting. Am I supposed to go? Where are they? When. Have to go now. I will be back on later.

Do any of the TXARK Bandsters have before and after pictures? I'd like to see them if y'all aren't too shy.:)

Not sure about anyone having pics. I haven't taken any of myself in years. Guess I don't like what I see. There is a thread somewhere that has pictures, not sure where, Maybe general lapband forum.

I plan on stepping up my walking tomorrow. Thought I was doing quite a bit but apparently not enough. Still have lots of unconfortable air trapped around in my chest and shoulders. I will be so glad when it is GONE! I have been taking some Benefiber but maybe not enough. No results in that department. How long does that take to be effective? Otherwise I think I am doing well. I have been out and about every day. Hope all you other Mar. bandsters and bandsters to be are doing well. Good night.

sugar bear

i had bad gas pain in my shoulder and neck and i found that a heating pad help more than anything with the pain!!

Thanks Hippmom. I tried that last night and it really helped. I had forgotton about it. Now to get over the two weeks pre-op liquid diet. One hurdle at a time, huh? I have come this far without cheating even once. I am not about to blow it now. I know this short time healing will serve me well in the long run. I have had so much encouragement from everyone on here ! How are things going for you now Hippmom?

i'm doing much better after having the port repair done i hardly ever get hungry and i am losing weight now. i turned my ankle last weekend so my walking has not been up to par but i have tried to work in the yard as much as my foot can stand so i'm getting some exercise i've lsot 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks.

the heating pad was my best friend the first 2-3 weeks after surgery

hope you keep doing so great sugar bear

Hippmom, What happen to your port? I am sorry but I guess I missed out on your port requiring repair. When was that? Glad you are doing better.