Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Texarkana Bandsters

Hi vlynn and Lisa. Thanks for the support. I am really not too nervous now as I thought I might be. I am anxious to het healed and start my new way of life as a bandster and the road to a healthier me. I may have to have some hernia repair, I guess she will determine that when she gets in there. Well I guess I better finish a few things around the house that I didn't get done today. I will post as soon as I can on my surgery "experience." Keep me in your prayers.

Hey folks,

I've been watching you guys a few weeks, trying to learn more about lap band as I'm considering it. It's really inspiring and encouraging to see all the success you've achieved.

I was wondering which of you have had the band the longest? Has anyone had complications? What would you recommend to someone trying to research to find out if this is the right decision for them?

I've signed up for next week's seminar, so hopefully that's my first step.

Hello, lo2us...welcome to our thread...

First, you are on the right track...I researched and read about the Lapband for about 6mo. to a year before I had it done...I wanted to know all there was to know...It prepared me for what I was to expect and what I would be changing about my life...of course there is no reality factor more evident until you have it done, then it is more real to you...you can tell from our tickers who has had it done longer and our progress...this is a great place to start your research...just about anything you want to know about the band you can find already being discussed or you can ask someone...all I have ever gotten have been straight, to the point, and unbiased answers...that is what you need in a deal such as this...you don't want any "sugar-coating"...hope we can help

Hello lo2us! Welcome to the board. I researched my band for almost a year before gettin it. If you are considering WLS...my advice is to do exactly what you are doing now. Ask questions, read the boards, go to other web sites. Anything and everything you can learn about each procedure before you decide. The ultimate decision will be yours. You will have to live with whatever you do the rest of your life. Some people look at the band as a reversible procedure, but I don't. I wanted my band to help me the rest of my life and now that I have it, there ain't nobody gonna take it away from me.lol If you have questions, please, ask. Someone will answer. Good luck with your decision.

lisa

Everything I've read says that you should consider it permanetly. Can it be temporary? Why?

I will probably use Dr. K or H. and I really like being able to see what you folks before me are concerned with.

Thanks so much!

Well gang here goes!!!! First day of pre op it is almost noon and im not eating cardboard yet.. I thinik the muscle milk light protien shakes are preety good although the pre mix ones seem to taste better than the ones i mix lol!!! :o Can't wait to hear from sugarbear see how he doing after all im 2 weeks behind him..

and welcome lo2us !! I, like everyone else, have researched the lap band for almost a yr now and feel this is the best route for me to take!! Keep reading and asking questions you will learn so much on here. And everyone is very supportive and helpful..

blondylocks/Donna

It should be considered permanent. But there are things that would cause the band to have to be removed. Erosion is one of them. In that case, it would be a good thing to be able to remove it. To be honest, I don't know why some people would consider it to be a temporary thing. It takes a lot of work just to get approved for one. I have read on other boards where people had their band removed and went for RNY. But, I have also read that there are people that had RNY and then got banded.

Blondylocks, stay with it, girl you can do it! I know it's hard at first, but you can do this. Just think about the end results.......

lisa

Dumb question....What is RNY? Is there a thread that can help me decipher all the abbreviations?

T/Y all for the warm welcome!

I was once told, the only dumb question is the one that is not asked. So...you are not asking dumb questions...lol RNY is a type of gastric bypass. There is still a small "pouch" and the larger part of the stomach is cut away from it. The lower part of the small intestine is then attached to the pouch and wha-lah... gastric bypass. I didn't want all my "stuff" moved around and reconnected somewhere else. I guess that would be another reason the band COULD be considered reversable. Nothing is reconnected somewhere other than where it's supposed to be.

lisa

Hello all! You all were right, I made it throught pre-op, that was a challenge to say the least, for me anyway. I never cheated, not once. I lost about 17 lbs. as of today. Then today....I became an official "March Texarkana Bandster." I am doing very well. Some discomfort in chest and shoulders. But I know that too shall pass, just like the pre-op. Dr. K said I might be a little more sore because of the hiatal hernia. If it wasn't bad they would have left it alone, but she came in and told me she repaired it. I have tried to move around a lot, went out side and walked today also. I had some broth tonight. It was soooooooo good. I am sure two weeks of it will get old, but for now it is great. My voice is very hoarse but doesn't hurt. (from the tube placed down my throat.) I hope tomorrow will be better with all the air floating around in me.

Welcome to all the new bandsters to be. Got a question, just ask, someone will help you or direct you in the right place.

Congrad to ya sugarbear !!! Made it thru first day of pre op.. my mind thinks im so hungary!!!! this is gonna be so tough!! Concentrating on day too. what all did you have to do pre op>??

Go Sugarbear!!!! Congratulations!

Did anyone have to appeal to get their insurance to pay? Any advice on how to go about it?

lo2us i will be a self pay as my insurance health plus wouldnt cover a dime of it!!!!:confused: BUt I put it in God's hands and he made me a way!!!:eek:

2nd day of pre op 12 days to go im struggling ughhh .. im not really hungry my mind just thinks i am i guess cause we so use to the habit of eating and putting sumthin in our mouths i think im having chewing withdrawls lol!!!! but ill make it hehe!!!

Sugarbear how you feeling today????

donna

Hi yall! hope everyone is doing ok today. lo2us, make SURE you have all the criteria the insurance needs before you appeal the decision. Did you keep a copy of everything? (All reports and letters) Do you have something from the insurance company that states what they want? Go back thru everything and see if you missed jumping thru one hoop. Call the insurance company and ask them why they denied it. My surgery was denied at first because all the paperwork wasn't turned in together. (faxed at different times) I saw the seminar that Dr. H and Dr. K had in Mt. Pleasant and decided to change drs and procedures. All my stuff was sent all together and there was no problems. Approved within 5 days! If you have been denied, don't give up but be very careful about appeals. You only have few. Depends on the ins. co.

Sugarbear, how do you feel today? Be sure to move. It will help! Drink your Water.< /p>

lisa