Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein bar and travel advice

Starting day 6 of my pre-op diet. My Dr. has me on combination of 5 Protein bars or shakes and 5 oz meat and 2 cups veggies. Not a fan of the bars. Only use them when I can't be around a shake. Thinking this is going to be a plus for me going into post op. :)

We have to leave tomorrow for 5 days due to a death in his family. I know that I am going to have to rely on the bars while traveling and I imagine quite a bit over the next 5 days. Any suggestions on getting the biggest amount of Protein and a good taste? I need to make sure that I am prepared for the next 5 days. Nothing is going to stop me from going off this pre-op diet for even one bite.

My plan is to take my little blender with so I have at least my morning shake in the hotel. I will have access to ice in the hotel. After that, I can't guarantee that I will be able to get a shake. I will buy some there but they really need them to be ice cold for me to get them down.

Will also get a case of Water and taking a soft sided small cooler to keep in our rental for Water so that I will AWAYS have it. That is going to be key to success.

What am I forgetting? Any advice on the bars would be mucho appreciated.

I like the Atkins bars. Low carb, high Protein and very filling. The only issue for me is they taste like treats, that makes me want more treats. I'm with you, totally prefer shakes.< /p>

Do you have a Blender Bottle? I take mine with me when I travel. It fits in my purse so I can just add Water and shake up a meal wherever I am!

I buy premier ready made Protein shakes from costco they have them at SAMs club also. They do not need to be refrigerated and in fact I like them room temp in the winter and they taste really good! They have chocolate and vanilla.

Much better than bars!

Sorry I just read the part about t liking them really cold.... But they do taste good, a lot of VSTers drink them :)

Quest bars work well for travelling - their Protein density is as good as anything out there (20 g in 160-200 calories depending upon variety,) most of their carbs are Fiber which we need and they use little of no sugar alcohols which many people are sensitive to. And, they travel well as they aren't frosted or coated so they don't care if they get heated/cooled or squashed, in fact many people will microwave them for a few seconds to warm them a bit. They are available online (http://www.questproteinbar.com/) which doesn't help you at the moment, but are also commonly available from GNC and Vitamin Shoppe (they do have a locator for local suppliers on their website.)