Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery... enjoying a few drinks with friends?

Alcohol...

I am a young person. I don't go out very much anymore (once a month if i am lucky), but in my day, I was quite the party animal. :)

I have searched this site over and have not seen many posts on this. It is probably a bit of a taboo subject. I know alcohol is empty calories and suger. So, it is not good... but i'm not thinking 2 or 3 months from now... I am thinking months and months (if not a year) from now. Once I am well on my way and have accomplished some goals. I would like to be able to go out, Celebrate, and enjoy myself again. (once a month or every two months)

If I go out with my friends and want to drink a few (since it is liquid)... and if I go no carbonation... would it hurt anything?

Does your body metabolize alcohol quicker? Do you get tipsy easily after the surgery?:faint:

I just want to be careful if I ever do decide to enjoy a drink with my friends.

I know other people have had to think about this... and somebody has to ask. I'll be brave. I guess it gets to be me!

Just be gentle (ha)

Thanks!

I drank for the first time a few weeks ago and I was banded 6 months ago. I got tipsy sooooo much faster! Apple martinis... yummy! I was careful not to overdo it though.... throwing up is not fun and throwing up with the band scares the crap out of me!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the occasional drink, a glass of wine or some sort of mixed drink. Do try to be aware of the calories and don't over do it and you should be fine!

I have had a couple of glasses of wine since banding. It's hard, because I used to drink it while I ate, and I can't do that now.

I don't do carbonated drinks like beer. I had some sparkeling cidar over the weekend, just a sip at a wedding toast, and it didn't sit well.

And yes, I notice I get buzzed a LOT easier. One glass of wine and I can feel it.

You definitely will feel the effects of the alcohol much sooner. Probably one drink will do it. :) I've had wine at parties and also an occasional margarita. I try to count the calories and definitely don't eat and drink. The no eating is probably why I feel it faster. :)

Most of the time I just skip drinking because its not worth it to me. For someone young like yourself its OK. Just be aware that you will only need to drink a little to get the effect. :Banane33:

I drink all the time! But I always count the calories into my day. Recently I found sugar-free drink mixers online that only have 10 calories per 8 ounces!!! I got sugar free cosmo mix, appletini, raspberry martini, and margerita! I am soooo excited as they are made with Splenda and are delicious! Otherwise, I drink wine.

I too go to happy hour every friday. i used to have to drink alot to feel a good buzz (5 or 6 mixed drinks) - probably from all the appetizers that come along with the drinks!! now i am a light wt and 1 maybe 2 mixed drinks will do me for the whole night. i know it slows the wt loss but i am one of those people that want to be out there partying with my friends and if it slows down my wt loss i am ok with that as long as the number keeps getting smaller. i plan on living with my band forever and although i am tweaking my lifestyle and making better choices i still want to live and be me - which includes partying. becareful in over doing it though... i have a terrible fear of throwing up from drinking too much with my band so that alone makes me not push it like i used to. btw - yes i am still on full liquid stage, but to me alcohol qualifies as a liquid and yes i did discuss this with my doc and nutrionist prior to banding. i definetely stay away from all beer and soda.

I have a few drinks every now and then, maybe 2 or 3 glasses of wine in a session over a meal out or something like that. In moderation, like anything, its fine.

For a while, I did find I got tipsy very quickly (and unexpectedly!) but my alcohol tolerance is now what it alwasy was.

The morning I left the hospital I asked my NP when I could have a cocktail... again, being a vibrant 31 and coming from a family that loves to sit and talk with a bottle of vino, I had to ask.

The answer was something along these lines...

While the nutritionist will tell you not to drink your calories, the doctor will never tell you not to enjoy your wine.

It was about 10 days after the surgery that I had finally had some wine. I had a business lunch to go out on and my entire team was able to eat and I was still on liquids. The glass of wine made me feel like I wasn't missing a thing!

I still haven't had a beer yet and I think I'll keep it that way until I see my doc for the 1st fill. The beer has actually been the harder of the two since my favorite Fall Sundays include heading to the bar with my cousins for some Bud Light and the Jets game.

I too go to happy hour every friday. i used to have to drink alot to feel a good buzz (5 or 6 mixed drinks) - probably from all the appetizers that come along with the drinks!! now i am a light wt and 1 maybe 2 mixed drinks will do me for the whole night. i know it slows the wt loss but i am one of those people that want to be out there partying with my friends and if it slows down my wt loss i am ok with that as long as the number keeps getting smaller. i plan on living with my band forever and although i am tweaking my lifestyle and making better choices i still want to live and be me - which includes partying. becareful in over doing it though... i have a terrible fear of throwing up from drinking too much with my band so that alone makes me not push it like i used to. btw - yes i am still on full liquid stage, but to me alcohol qualifies as a liquid and yes i did discuss this with my doc and nutrionist prior to banding. i definetely stay away from all beer and soda.

Hi Kym,

Other than all your partying (haha) how are you feeling these days?? I fly to Mexico on Saturday and have my surgery on Monday. I'm soo looking forward to it. And glad to hear that I can still have a glass of wine at Xmas! :biggrin1:

I am already to that stage where it doesn't amount to much, but I still want to be able to go out every once in a while. I figured it was pretty much off limits... so i am happy to hear that I will allowed to indulge sometimes.

As one who spent decades arranging social functions around and including various liquids as well as food frenzies, I was concerned about 'what would happen when I give it up'. I quit drinking due to diabetes in 1990.

I was surprized to learn these things: 1) most of my real friends had moved to a point in their lives where THEY weren't much into drinking either; 2) my social circle evolved into mostly settings that were alcohol neutral--ie, NOT a sports-bar where such behavior is mandated; and 3) I was fortunate in finding my sensation was not like 'loosing something important-like drinking'....but more like gaining something more important--like keeping my kidneys and eyeballs functioning...

I realize this isn't quite what you asked about. Don't be surprized if your very ~desire~ for alcohol changes. My own alcohol consumption always preceeded such as pizza, more pizza, bread, Pasta, larger dinners, etc.

Good luck.

I was told to wait 2 months after surgery to have a drink. I usually choose white wine and I feel the affects of the wine more easily. I save alcohol for social events and don't drink at home. Too many calories!

Yeah, I certainly dont drink to get drunk. Been there, done that, absolutely not interested anymore. I just like good wine!

Back in the day I was an extreme partier...as I aged I slowed down on the number of party nights, but now and then I like to go out have a few with friends. Since banding I definitely stay away from beer and bubbly wine. I have found a drink that is very potent, non carbonated, that I can sip for a long time and keep adding ice to.

I used to be able to drink most men under the table, but now I'm a pretty cheap date (maybe I should say inexpensive..lol). Since you can't eat much there is nothing to soak up that alcohol so you get the buzz much quicker. The reason I picked something I couldn't drink very fast was so I would know when I had the buzz and could stop, because the thought of a drunken barf session scared me.

You said you went out drinking about once every 1 or 2 months...go for it...but be VERY careful...don't get sick!

Oh and my potent little drink...now don't you all go yuck until you try it...tequilla & amaretto (preferably Patron tequilla and DiSaronno) on the rocks.

Party On!