Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol and 2 weeks post op!

My doctor cleared me for wine at 2 weeks. I have a few glasses every week since then. I am 10 months post op and have done very well. I'm almost to goal.

So for all of you with this "Alcohol causes leaks and liver damage, and ulcers, Just got back from the dr.s for my 2 week check up . I asked him about every single concern and risks that people were saying. He said it is no different than how alcohol affects a regular liver. And started laughing when i was concerned that it would cause a leak!!! I dont know where these people get this info from. I have googled this topic, researched and came up with exactly what my doc told me. High calorie intake, and more affects of the alcohol due to ur low tolerance. My doc is one of the top leading surgeons in the Orange County area and i take his advice over anyones in this forum. Sorry to burst your bubbles. he gave clearance of 3 weeks !! So all that crap talk about leaks and things is NONSENSE from alcohol!!!!!!!! THANK YOU DOC!!!!!

Amen!! Suck it haters....

So for all of you with this "Alcohol causes leaks and liver damage, and ulcers, Just got back from the dr.s for my 2 week check up . I asked him about every single concern and risks that people were saying. He said it is no different than how alcohol affects a regular liver. And started laughing when i was concerned that it would cause a leak!!! I dont know where these people get this info from. I have googled this topic, researched and came up with exactly what my doc told me. High calorie intake, and more affects of the alcohol due to ur low tolerance. My doc is one of the top leading surgeons in the Orange County area and i take his advice over anyones in this forum. Sorry to burst your bubbles. he gave clearance of 3 weeks !! So all that crap talk about leaks and things is NONSENSE from alcohol!!!!!!!! THANK YOU DOC!!!!!

Ahhhh those silly concerns about alcohol, darn what were we thinking. LOL

Wow what a response. The way I see it you have doctors from "laughed" to those saying 1 yr out, means no one knows.

And also I looked into this a great deal ' date=' no I one could give a solid answer besides high calorie intake !! And to be careful because you get buzzed faster !! I didn't think one drink would bring all the haters out wow ![/quote']

I went to my surgeon today for check up and I asked him about alcohol he was shocked he told me NO ALCOHOL FOR 6 Months. I asked him why he said that sleeve doesn't heal that quick alcohol makes more acid and not good for staples He was quite surprised to hear that your doctor is okay with it only after 2 weeks. Then I went to my nutritionist and she couldn't believe it and told me its a Big No No .

Sent from my iPhone using VST

And also I looked into this a great deal ' date=' no I one could give a solid answer besides high calorie intake !! And to be careful because you get buzzed faster !! I didn't think one drink would bring all the haters out wow ![/quote']

No one is hating we are just concerned isn't that the reason why we are here to help each other End of the day its your life and your body all we can do is give our opinions and advise and hope the best .

So just because the surgery is a risk in itself' date=' you think it's ok to add alcohol into the mix because it doesn't matter anyway? How old are you? Grow up.[/quote']

Exactly my point

Sounds like this is a joke or OP has issues with alcohol.

I thinks its horrible someone that has gone thru this would give another such a hard time. Come on...we are all in this "together" and each person is different. I havent personally drank any alcohol....never did much anyway....but I have wanted to try a glass of wine with dinner. Im just too scared to do it. So I have repeatedly volunteered to be the DD if others drink. Im sure Ive had other stuff I shouldnt. And really get tired of others monitoring what I eat. I used to be a daily Starbucks Venti vanilla Latte & Coke girl. And was really cranky when I didnt get my daily morning coffee. I stayed away for the first 2 months. I go get my coffee every now & then...but I get the small one & havent finished one yet. If you totally take away something someone has enjoyed their entire life..they are just going to want it more. Im taking it slow. Trying to get my exercising & Vitamins going again (they were making me sick) & Im all about eating my Protein & drinking as much as possible. I dont drink alot anyway. But I still work at what I need to do because I have a goal. I and others can see what I have lost so far & Im wearing my old, smaller clothes & that makes me feel good & gives me motivation.

Keep up the good work everyone!! We are totally rocking this!!

And yes....all the drs seem to say different things. I for one didnt have to lose pre surgery & had less than a week of the pre surgery shakes because of when we got my surgery approval. And at my 2 week check-up I was approved for all foods...whatever I could handle...one thing at a time in case it didnt go over well. And my dr still does monthly check-ups with me. And the last time I asked him about Protein, Water & calorie amounts he said dont stress about it too much at this point because you wont make it...just to get what I could. Im always told Im doing great & right on target.

I thinks its horrible someone that has gone thru this would give another such a hard time. Come on...we are all in this "together" and each person is different. I havent personally drank any alcohol....never did much anyway....but I have wanted to try a glass of wine with dinner. Im just too scared to do it. So I have repeatedly volunteered to be the DD if others drink. Im sure Ive had other stuff I shouldnt. And really get tired of others monitoring what I eat. I used to be a daily Starbucks Venti Vanilla Latte & Coke girl. And was really cranky when I didnt get my daily morning coffee. I stayed away for the first 2 months. I go get my coffee every now & then...but I get the small one & havent finished one yet. If you totally take away something someone has enjoyed their entire life..they are just going to want it more. Im taking it slow. Trying to get my exercising & Vitamins going again (they were making me sick) & Im all about eating my Protein & drinking as much as possible. I dont drink alot anyway. But I still work at what I need to do because I have a goal. I and others can see what I have lost so far & Im wearing my old' date=' smaller clothes & that makes me feel good & gives me motivation.

Keep up the good work everyone!! We are totally rocking this!![/quote']

We really aren't all in this together. Some of us take it seriously...having three quarters of a major organ removed, and some think it's a joke. Here we have a good example of someone who thinks it's a joke. Assuming everyone is cheating, breaking their docs rules, drinking from day one...and you have folks who have tried to explain why it isn't a joke. Mostly in an attempt to make her journey better. I didn't cheat because I felt risking my life for a White Russian is kind of silly. Those not serious about this will feel otherwise. So they're in it together, which is great, but they aren't on the same journey I am nor that many others are. Our health is too important to us to joke.

We really aren't all in this together. Some of us take it seriously...having three quarters of a major organ removed' date=' and some think it's a joke. Here we have a good example of someone who thinks it's a joke. Assuming everyone is cheating, breaking their docs rules, drinking from day one...and you have folks who have tried to explain why it isn't a joke. Mostly in an attempt to make her journey better. I didn't cheat because I felt risking my life for a White Russian is kind of silly. Those not serious about this will feel otherwise. So they're in it together, which is great, but they aren't on the same journey I am nor that many others are. Our health is too important to us to joke.[/quote']

So then you're also saying there is really no point to this forum?? What is it....only the ones that have had the surgery the longest & done the most research "wins"? I realize we arent all family or anything I was just making a reference in regard to having the same surgery...which is why this forum exists...right?? Not trying to stir the pot...was just making a comment. All of us have been told different things by our different drs. Thats all......

So then you're also saying there is really no point to this forum?? What is it....only the ones that have had the surgery the longest & done the most research "wins"? I realize we arent all family or anything I was just making a reference in regard to having the same surgery...which is why this forum exists...right?? Not trying to stir the pot...was just making a comment. All of us have been told different things by our different drs. Thats all......

I don't know, I am not the person you are replying but in my short time on the forums I can see that CLEARLY some people take it more seriously than others. In my opinion, someone drinking at two weeks isn't very serious, now, if OP cares to differ, fine. I said my piece about ulcers, I am not wrong about that and I stand by everything I say here. I am careful not to be mean, but I am concise and clear most of the time. (I try anyway)

I would not go so far as to say the forums are pointless either, but I will say that I question what the point of posts like these are. In my opinion its rabble-rousing at its finest, and MAYBE attention seeking behavior. She made a post like this, when she got all kinds of different peoples reactions, didn't like it, and was nasty about it while she was at it, so again, I ask you, WHAT is the POINT of posting if you are going to defend your first position TO THE DEATH?

Attention. And she got it.