Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone experience dumping syndrome?

thanks for everyone's feedback. i know i am not lactose intolerant, and i know what sugar alchols like sorbitol and others can do to you, but that isn't what i am talking about. i just can't seem to handle the sweets without major problems later. perhaps it is a good thing. or perhaps i will just know i have a toilet adventure coming ahead if i endulge myself. i am trying to get these last 15 pounds off and should stay away from sweets anyway.

Have looked into irritable bowel syndrome ??

Depeding on what I eat I can get like this. Im not banded yet .

This can last for hours or days. Some people have cramping with it others do not .Sometimes i do not others I do . Sometimes (TOO Much info coming up ) I can not control my bowels. It comes on so suddenly .

Here is a link :

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs_ez/

Mindy

Actually, I've had a few bouts of absolutely terrible cramping and diarrhoea since banding as well - really horrible, honestly worse than labour. Just out of the blue, no warning, I need to go like normal and then I'm stuck for hours, shaking and sweating. I dont think I can link it to a particular food though - but this sort of thing has only happened to me in the past when I've actually been sick, since banding it just strikes, and once its passed, its passed. Its only happened 3 times in a year though, but I can sympathise, its absolutely awful.

I'll go with the gallbladder theory - did your doctor remove your gallbladder during surgery? Did you have it removed at any time? PCS (post cholestectomy syndrome) happens after having your gallbladder removed in more than 40% of patients. It can happen immediately after removal or even months or years after. Most doctor's will only tell you about 15-20% of people experience PCS, but with practical information from patients, and asking patients months and years after their gallbladders were removed, a lot of doctors will tell you it is more like 40% if not more. It is a dumping syndrome - you can also have a type of dumping from IBS. Lucky me, I have both. My gastroenterologist gave me Librax to help combat it - it has a small amount of anti-anxiety medication in it, because anxiety is a big trigger. Funny thing is though, he also gave me Glucophage to help me clear my liver and try to lose weight. I told him that his humor was not lost on me! I will take my Glucophage at night, but if I am going to be somewhere out and about, I will NOT take it in the morning. No telling where you'll be when you just GOTTA go.

The weird thing is you can feel it. Somehow, everything is liquified and all of a sudden just shoots through your intestines - you can feel it moving through back and forth. Very weird. So, you don't have a shortened intestines like in an RNY, but your body makes short work of whats there.

i have my gallbladder. unless they took it and sold it on the black market!:o never had any of these issue pre-band, and like i said, only seem to have them when i eat sweets and/or candy. the logical response would be to not eat these items.

I'm no good at "name that syndrome" :o

Actually, I've had a few bouts of absolutely terrible cramping and diarrhoea since banding as well - really horrible, honestly worse than labour. Just out of the blue, no warning, I need to go like normal and then I'm stuck for hours, shaking and sweating. I dont think I can link it to a particular food though - but this sort of thing has only happened to me in the past when I've actually been sick, since banding it just strikes, and once its passed, its passed. Its only happened 3 times in a year though, but I can sympathise, its absolutely awful.

This sounds like it could be gallbladder attacks or IBS. I think when I had my "gallbladder' attacks it was really IBS. Mine started very far apart then slowly got more frequent. At first I couldnt attribute it to any food at first because I think different things did it. even now its kind of hit and miss with my IBS.

Im not 100% sure my gallbladder attacks were that. But my doc said my gallbladder was diseased . So might be something worth checking into .

My IBS Is pretty regular now. Several times a month it happens .

Mindy

i have my gallbladder. unless they took it and sold it on the black market!:o never had any of these issue pre-band, and like i said, only seem to have them when i eat sweets and/or candy. the logical response would be to not eat these items.

I would say not to eat them and see what happens. Personally and dont take this the wrong way it sort of sounds like your wanting someone to tell you its dumping syndrome ? Again dont take it the wrong way that's just the feeling I get from your responses ?

I know your also telling what the symptoms .. But I get the feeling your wanting someone to tell you that's what it is. I would suggest going to your doc and discussing it with him . Like wheetsin said its hard with Name that syndrome.

Mindy

I got my gallbladder checked out, perfectly healthy. I actually think its related to my period, it generally happens a day or two before it starts.

Jacqui, the older you get, the more things seem to go all wonky with the period and the hormones. I have a heart arrhythmia that almost only bothers me right around my period. I keep telling my cardiologist and he says it's possible, because hormones affect everything, but he's never heard of that. Every other women that has PVC's that I've ever spoken to says that theirs only happen around their period or are worse then. My IBS sometimes becomes Constipation at TOM - that's SO not my problem the rest of the month. However, IBS is funny, some have constipation, some urgency.

Crista94, my husband cannot eat olive oil. It literally runs right through him every single time. It makes him instantly sick. He doesn't really have any other symptoms of IBS on a regular basis. This just developed in the last several years, too. Maybe that's what's happened to you, you just happened to develop this sensitivity around the same time you were banded.

I'd go to your GP and ask about it. Perhaps visit a gastroenterologist. There are treatments if it is really bothersome. Otherwise, I'd just say you're lucky that your body is rejecting bad foods!

Read the labels of everything you have eaten. You can develop a food allergy at any time of life.

mindy, i would never come to a chat board looking for a true diagnosis for anything. i am trying to see if anyone else with the band experiences some of the same things i do. i profit nothing from having dumping syndrome except for many trips to the restroom and an overall feeling of blah.

momotrips-i am going to continue to monitor it. see if my timing is right (by that i mean the yucky feeling and increased bathroom trips are increased with sweets). if it continues to be too much of an issue, i will of course see my internist and go from there. thanks to all for sharing their experiences, which is all i was after, certainly no diagnosis.

mindy, i would never come to a chat board looking for a true diagnosis for anything. i am trying to see if anyone else with the band experiences some of the same things i do. i profit nothing from having dumping syndrome except for many trips to the restroom and an overall feeling of blah.

I understand . I Just meant that sometimes we feel better if someone says " YES your right " I just had a bought with my IBS and I ate pizza today ( im not banded yet) something that has never bothered me before. So im not even sure what exactly it was the bothered me , the sauce , meat, bread? I Have no idea. Is it something in particular ? I knwo you said sweets, But can you pin point something like sweet yeast breads, chocholate ? I know when i have myIBS attacks I seriiously think im in labor and Its instant. Usually not as instant as this was today . But UGHH It sucks.

Mindy

That's my symptoms when I have a spastic colon attack. Certain foods just send me over the edge and it can happen as fast as 20 minutes or as long as several hours. Since banding I don't have those episodes anymore. Every now and then I have an attack, but its usually 24 hours after the suspect food. I don't eat the foods that trigger an attack knowingly so don't know if I will still have problems.

I also have auto immune issues so Carlene's list could be right on.

That's my symptoms when I have a spastic colon attack. Certain foods just send me over the edge and it can happen as fast as 20 minutes or as long as several hours. Since banding I don't have those episodes anymore. Every now and then I have an attack, but its usually 24 hours after the suspect food. I don't eat the foods that trigger an attack knowingly so don't know if I will still have problems.

I also have auto immune issues so Carlene's list could be right on.

HUMM looking up spastic colon symtpoms they are almost identiacal to what i have but are also almost identical to IBS Symptoms. I am not being treated right now for my "problem" because we dont have insurance. When we get it I probbaly need to look into it. I say IBS because my mom has it and my sysptoms are identiacal to hers. SO im not 100% sure. But my friend who is a nurse and also has IBS says it sure sounds like it. But i need to check into it

Mindy