Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone experience dumping syndrome?

hello all. quick question. anyone experience dumping syndrome? from my research done before i got the band, it was not a situation that banders had to experience. that seemed to have been something that our sisters in surgery (gastric bypassers) had to struggle with since their food bypasses their small intestines for the most part (or whatever it does in them). but, lately, whenever i eat sweets, i get sick. chained to the toilet for days (i know gross). i was banded in june and was pretty scared to even attempt sweets because i didn't want to get hooked on them and counter the positive results of the band. well, within the last 3 weeks i finally broke down and tried them (i was too scared to try wedding cake at my own wedding in september because i didn't want to get sick) and it seems to be that either i immediately get sick to my stomach (immediately as in 40mins. to a couple of hours later) or within 24 hours i am chained to the bathroom toilet. i know some would say, well just don't eat sweets. not a bad idea, i am just wondering if anyone else has this issue too.

Hi Christa, I am sorry that you are having that problem. I honestly have not experienced that all, so I cannot offer you any wisdom there. I hope somebody is able to help you with this, though.

Unless something else is going on, a bandster cannot physically dump in the sense that a RNYer can.

If sweets are making you sick, could be lots of other causes. Ingredients (sorbitol and maltitol are a bit infamous for sendind people to the bano), separation & intolerance, etc.

I have similar symptoms, kind of, when I have sweets with sorbitol or maltitol. No increase in bathroom usage, but major, major pain for hours & hours. Doesn't have to be a whole lot, either. A stick of gum isn't going to bother me, but the quantities you find in candies do.

I find lately that I am in the bathroom within 20 minutes of eating. I am having diahrea symptoms a few times a week. I don't know what it is because I can't link it to any one thing. I've kind of been wondering the same thing.

I eat sweets every day and have not experienced this. I would be happy to have it though considering sweets are my addiction. Maybe it would slow me down on them some.

I am not banded, but what you are describing sounds exactly what I grow through being on my insulin-resistance medication, Glucophage (Metformin). For me it happens anytime I eat a meal with lots of sugars or simple carbs. It almost sounds like you have now developed a sensitivity to those things after having been off them for awhile. Just a thought. Good luck on your continued success, it looks like you're doing great!

I am not banded, but what you are describing sounds exactly what I grow through being on my insulin-resistance medication, Glucophage (Metformin). For me it happens anytime I eat a meal with lots of sugars or simple carbs. It almost sounds like you have now developed a sensitivity to those things after having been off them for awhile. Just a thought. Good luck on your continued success, it looks like you're doing great!
Ditto, except my glucophage does it for ANY meal. Getting off that medication is just another reason for me to get the band. I hate it.

Actually banding made me more "regular" if anything. I used to sometimes go 2 days without and now I am on a daily routine. Depending on what I eat (because I eat less and fill faster) I try to make sure I "vary it up" a bit instead of doing all of one style of food before starting on another style on my plate.

Physically, dumping in the same way would be impossible, since food takes so long to filter through the band and cannot hit your small intestine in a sudden hit.

But who knows? I personally cannot handle milk very well since banding, its OK on Cereal, but coffees, like cappucinos and lattes make me nauseous now.

thanks for everyone's feedback. i know i am not lactose intolerant, and i know what sugar alchols like sorbitol and others can do to you, but that isn't what i am talking about. i just can't seem to handle the sweets without major problems later. perhaps it is a good thing. or perhaps i will just know i have a toilet adventure coming ahead if i endulge myself. i am trying to get these last 15 pounds off and should stay away from sweets anyway.

Hey Christa94 do you have your gallbladder. I know for some folks once it is removed they may have dumping issues.

Also, dumping syndrome isn't just about being on the toilet, and it's not for days at a time. From Wikipedia:

Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types.

My RnY friends get the shakes and the sweats, think they're going to collapse and all that and then, in about 20 minutes or so, they are better. DS'ers don't dump.

DO find out if the sugar-free food you're eating contains stuff that ends in "-ol" THAT would be your likely culprit.

well, i have many of those dumping syndrome symptoms besides the toilet. and it is not just with sugar free foods. i know they are loaded with sugar alchols that are known for causing issues. but i am talking about regular sweets with good ole fashion sugar

Christa (my daughter's name, by the way)...

If your doctor can't find a reason for this, I'm afraid there might be no other treatment except to stay far away from sugar. I guess you could get a complete unfill and see if that helps, but I'm betting it would be a waste of time.

Have you had a fasting glucose tolerance test recently? Could you be pregnant? Have you been tested for Crohn's or other autoimmune diseases?

That's about everything I can think of....

carlene,

no testing of any sort at all lately.pregnant? hmm. my husband and i would like, but i don't think so. i took 3 tests last month and they were all negative