Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Welcome

No temptation from Nutella? Not only is tgat un-American I'm questioning whether or not you are human.

You know...I have to say I don't understand the draw for nutella either. That's probably a good thing (I also don't really find Peanut Butter tempting).

You know...I have to say I don't understand the draw for nutella either. That's probably a good thing (I also don't really find Peanut Butter tempting).

Baaaaahhhhh!!!! We're being invaded by aliens!!!!!

Baaaaahhhhh!!!! We're being invaded by aliens!!!!!

Perhaps...but on the good side, at least we won't take your nutella :P

Me either. We have both here and it's not a temptation to me at all. I even bought the PB2 for a shake and hated it. It's just sitting in my pantry.

Cheri, remind me where you are?

Judy

I LOVE Peanut Butter and so does my husband. I also made my own almond butter and it was KILLER. I can portion it out. On my first few weeks post-op I stuck my finger in the jar and had a tiny taste now and again. I think it kept me sane.

I can take or leave Nutella.

I've had yak before. I'm convinced that they didn't cook it slow or long enough, but I still liked it.

My kid liked EVERYTHING. Still does.

Creamy Peter Pan is like the forbidden fruit to me. Don't leave me at home alone with a jar or bad things will happen.

I'm sorry, but that made me LMAO. I'm really punchy today.

I'm sorry' date=' but that made me LMAO. I'm really punchy today.[/quote']

I didn't want to mention the visions that were swimming around in my little head....

I LOVE Peanut Butter and so does my husband. I also made my own almond butter and it was KILLER. I can portion it out. On my first few weeks post-op I stuck my finger in the jar and had a tiny taste now and again. I think it kept me sane.

I can take or leave Nutella.

I've had yak before. I'm convinced that they didn't cook it slow or long enough' date=' but I still liked it.

My kid liked EVERYTHING. Still does.[/quote']

I've had eskimo ice cream (not on any of our diet programs....it's whale fat, sugar and berries) bear (like your yak...not cooked slow or long enough likely) a Soup made of a fish head buried in dirt for ten days (to ferment) then cooked with something else terrible...stunk to high heaven! and seal. I like to say that if I went to some foreign country and was stranded in the dessert I'd be the first to pick up a cockroach and make dinner out of it :P

Most of those foods were an honor to be served in the communities I was in...but sheesh it's no wonder I craved carbs when I got back to home! Smelly fish Soup or a toasted cheese sandwich on white bread? You choose LOL

Inuit food. No wonder the Vikings came over and starved to death. I saw a film of this old guy eating green/spoiled blubber! I like fat, but that just gives me the heaves!

I'm trying to think of the weirdest thing I ever ate. I think that would be jellyfish at a dim sum place. Not bad tasting, but sort of like eating thin rubber bands.

The grossest thing I was almost forced to eat is calf brains. I simply will NOT eat innards.

I didn't want to mention the visions that were swimming around in my little head....

Guffaw!!!

Inuit food. No wonder the Vikings came over and starved to death. I saw a film of this old guy eating green/spoiled blubber! I like fat' date=' but that just gives me the heaves!

I'm trying to think of the weirdest thing I ever ate. I think that would be jellyfish at a dim sum place. Not bad tasting, but sort of like eating thin rubber bands.

The grossest thing I was almost forced to eat is calf brains. I simply will NOT eat innards.[/quote']

Gad how did I forget the blubber. They chew it like gum and it's not terrible. Not what you'd think...more like those jellyfish rubber bands you had :) But what I had was white NOT green!

My favorite food story is about a poor guy from Colorado I took out in the bush. I had to take the senate banking committee to see a project that I had won some silly awards for. I was very clear with them about the protocol and about eating what was served, but taking very small amounts of certain things so as not to a) be a hog, and B) not end up spending too much time in the rest room.

So one of the staffers, a huge dude from Colorado who thought he was much smarter than me went ahead and filled his plate. I came back after seeing some elders and this guy had a HUGE bowl of the "ice cream". He told me how great it was and I was worried about them for no reason "cuz this stuff is great".

That "stuff" was not made in the traditional method because it was a large function, so instead they use crisco with sugar and berries. I had told them to take very little of the ice cream that didn't melt.....but he was smarter than me.

I took the rest of the committee fishing the next day for some of the best salmon in the world (Kwethluk King) but we hadn't seen him since the return flight. He'd slept in the bathroom with a bottle of gin....on the toilet. You can't eat that much grease and not end up with some serious runs!

I live in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. Land of lamb, bread and plov...veggies, not so much. We have them, just not a huge variety and they're pretty pitiful in the winter.

I LOVE these strange food stories. Here the honor custom is to serve the sheep's nugget (head) and cut it up with a big ceremony and share it around. Each piece has a special meaning. I'm thankful to "only" be a wife, because my hubs has to scarf eyeballs and brains each time but I've only had to nibble on the sheep's ear a few times (gross, for sure) because it's supposed to help you listen to the wisdom of your elders/leaders/husband.

But most of the food here I'm okay with eating. It's carb heavy and fatty at times but it's not offensive. And certain things I enjoy so much I miss them when I'm stateside, like beshbarmak and good Uzbek plov.

I'm thankful for the baby though, because these people drink vodka like nobody's business. I mean that. We work in mostly the former Soviet Union and if I go the rest of my life and never have vodka ever again I'll be perfectly happy. Being pregnant allows me to abstain, though some of the older local men give me the stink eye for it, not really understanding why you wouldn't toast while expecting!

I think far more than the food here I'm pretty creeped out by Kökbörü (goat polo) which they take pretty darn seriously here.

But no food could ever top the holodetz my grandmother used to make for us after a sickness so we could get strong and recover. She was Ukrainian. :) And yes, vodka was ever present at the table in my childhood, too.

~Cheri

Just caught up on the Veterans posts. Enjoying the easy banter and stories about everyones culinary delights and dislikes!! I do love me some PB but not nutella, hazelnuts are not a fave of mine. Still weaning myself off holiday carbs, and getting there, albeit slowly...

Culturally, a piece of my heritage includes Mexican delights but seeing my mother opening a strange foil packet from the oven when I was a kid was a total gross out...a goat head that she declared a delicacy...especially the brain, but also the tongue and eyeballs. I ran out of the room! Over the years I've enjoyed foods that my grandmother made including nopales (cactus) with tortas de cameron (shrimp patties) in a rich red chile sauce, chile rellenos which I still enjoy post op, beautiful stews and Soups, etc.

This is the year I intend to hit goal. 2012 was an amazing year for me losing 100 pounds and I feel really proud of myself and I feel normal, not the fattest girl in the house. I enjoy getting dressed up and enjoy feeling sexy again at 57 no less! I may do plastics down the line, but for now, I'm feeling ok and look ok dressed up. Still wear Spanx for a night on the town. My face looks pretty good for an older gal and I have a neck again!!