Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A complication they didn't tell you about - Nerve Palsy - Drop Foot

I spent a better part of the day yesterday in the ER. I am unable to extend my left foot toward my body. I can currently bend it down and to the side, it also drags when I walk. After they ruled out a stroke and ran many tests they diagnosed me with nerve palsy with drop foot. Nothing hurts, my brain simply will not communicate with my foot to move. There were several PAs and Dr's seeing me, and out of the 7 or 8 of them, they have only seen this a few times and each patient was a weight loss surgery patient. They think that it might be temporary, but could be permanent. Sometimes it is linked to a deficiency in B12 or B1 but my labs were perfect. It could also be linked to an injury, but I did not have any. Lastly, it can be caused from crossing your legs for long periods of time, and not moving around much.

I am constantly on the go since my surgery, and never sitting for too long (ie a desk job etc) Their best guess is that it happens due to your nerves not catching up with your new size and there is nothing there to connect. I wanted to warn all of you that have recently had this surgery to avoid this complication in any way possible. I know some of you have not been able to cross your legs in some time, but do your best not to. Make sure you take those Vitamins every day, and add B1 if your Vitamins do not include it. Although none of these are related to my condition, they frequently are.

It is hard to walk, let alone run. I have started training for a 5k which will have to stop. I can barely drive and am quite scared that it will not go away. I will keep you all updated, but please be aware of this complication, as I have never heard of it.

That must be horrifying! I am so sad to hear about this complication and I will be thinking of you. How far out from surgery are you?

You're right, I didn't hear about this one. Must be vet rare. How far out are you?

This is so scary.......I hope it's not permanent and is just temporary for you. Sad that you are going through this..... Let us know what happens......

Wow , Sorry to hear that! I'll be praying that it's only a temporary thing. I know it's scary, but try and keep a positive mindset.

Thanks for the update. Will be praying for healing. My husband had it about 8 years ago. Healthy runner, this happened after shingling the roof. They thought it was the way he kneeled on the roof with his ankle flexed backward. It took a few month but healed well. Drove him nuts tho. Hope yours gets better.

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I do hope this is only temporary.

Have you been having any troubles or symptoms of this since you were sleeved in July or did it just suddenly start one day? I cross my legs all the time now that I can! I am going to be sure to not do it for long periods of time. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hoping and praying for that this is only temporary for you. Thanks for sharing and trying to help others avoid having to deal with this.

~Dana

Hi..so sorry to hear of this medical issue....I had the same thing many years ago and after having an MRI -it was discovered that I had a Herniated Disc in my lumbar area.....( I had to have surgery)..perhaps, you should see a neurologist to explore this situation......?) I wish you well...all the best....

I spent a better part of the day yesterday in the ER. I am unable to extend my left foot toward my body. I can currently bend it down and to the side' date=' it also drags when I walk. After they ruled out a stroke and ran many tests they diagnosed me with nerve palsy with drop foot. Nothing hurts, my brain simply will not communicate with my foot to move. There were several PAs and Dr's seeing me, and out of the 7 or 8 of them, they have only seen this a few times and each patient was a weight loss surgery patient. They think that it might be temporary, but could be permanent. Sometimes it is linked to a deficiency in B12 or B1 but my labs were perfect. It could also be linked to an injury, but I did not have any. Lastly, it can be caused from crossing your legs for long periods of time, and not moving around much.

I am constantly on the go since my surgery, and never sitting for too long (ie a desk job etc) Their best guess is that it happens due to your nerves not catching up with your new size and there is nothing there to connect. I wanted to warn all of you that have recently had this surgery to avoid this complication in any way possible. I know some of you have not been able to cross your legs in some time, but do your best not to. Make sure you take those Vitamins every day, and add B1 if your Vitamins do not include it. Although none of these are related to my condition, they frequently are.

It is hard to walk, let alone run. I have started training for a 5k which will have to stop. I can barely drive and am quite scared that it will not go away. I will keep you all updated, but please be aware of this complication, as I have never heard of it.[/quote']

Thanks for the info

This may or may not be a complication from WLS. Like someone else said it could be a sign of something else such as a neurological disorder, or lumbar issues. I would try to get a second opinion to be on the safe side.

I spent a better part of the day yesterday in the ER. I am unable to extend my left foot toward my body. I can currently bend it down and to the side, it also drags when I walk. After they ruled out a stroke and ran many tests they diagnosed me with nerve palsy with drop foot. Nothing hurts, my brain simply will not communicate with my foot to move. There were several PAs and Dr's seeing me, and out of the 7 or 8 of them, they have only seen this a few times and each patient was a weight loss surgery patient. They think that it might be temporary, but could be permanent. Sometimes it is linked to a deficiency in B12 or B1 but my labs were perfect. It could also be linked to an injury, but I did not have any. Lastly, it can be caused from crossing your legs for long periods of time, and not moving around much.

It is hard to walk, let alone run. I have started training for a 5k which will have to stop. I can barely drive and am quite scared that it will not go away. I will keep you all updated, but please be aware of this complication, as I have never heard of it.

I just came back on to post on this as someone alerted me to this thread and thought I should share my experience with this very thing.

At one year post op, I started having minor numbness in my big toe on my right foot. Didn't think anything of it. It quickly progressed and soon, I was having difficulty bringing my foot around. Fell over a couple times walking down the street. I went to the Dr and was also diagnosed with foot drop. So, I began with physical therapy and saw an orthopedic Dr after breaking my right big toe when I couldn't bring my foot around and came down right on it. I was then given an MRI of my spine and referred to a neurosurgeon. Sure enough, I had a ruptured disk between L4/L5. The first step was to get an epidural which they were hoping would give me 3 months of relief.

WOW!

A day later, I had no symptoms of foot drop at all. I was totally back to *normal*. They were hoping for 3 months of relief, but after 3 days, it was back. But this wasn't a bad thing, actually. It was a means to get an exact diagnosis that the cause of my issues was due to a pinched nerve at that location. Remedy? Microdiscectomy.

All things considered, it wasn't too bad. I was out of work for a week while I was on pain meds and then worked from home for the next 3 weeks. One side affect was the disk being compressed, due to the rupture, that I soon started having numbness in my left foot. Instead of disk material doing the pinching, it was the vertebrae itself, so this next surgery was a Laminectomy. Recovery was easier by far for this one. That was 3 months ago and the numbness in both feet is still present, but is FAR reduced. It is now to a point of where I could live with it. I am still in physical therapy, though, with the promise that it will continue to get better.

Why did this happen? WLS? No ... I asked them about that. He just looked at me waiting for the punch line. He said it was degenerative and most likely linked to the years of being morbidly obese, since I couldn't think of any trauma.

So, my suggestion would be to get to an orthopedist or neurosurgeon who can order an MRI. If it is a ruptured disk, this will not heal itself and surgery is your only option.

Sorry to hear that I will be praying for you.

I have some numbness in my ankles and I too can't pull my toes up toward my body too far but it's not that bad yet. They told me that it was from being so overweight for so long and then crossing my legs constantly once I was able too. They gave me exercises to do to strengthen my legs and ankles. Good luck and I will pray for you !!

I just went to my PCP for the same thing. Slowly over the last month my right foot has gone numb on the top and now my shin and the outside of my thigh is starting to go numb. My foot drags when I'm walking on the treadmill and I trip, so I've had to stop that too. My PCP is sending me to a neurologist for testing. She ran blood tests and everything was fine. So glad to find I'm not the only one this has happened to. Thanks for posting :)