Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Antidepressants not working after my gastric sleeve surgery

I had a gastric sleeve surgery almost 3 years ago. Ever since my surgery my Effexor 150mg (antidepressant/anti-anxiety med) is not working as effectively. I have been researching and seeing that there is a problem with SSRI absorption after gastric surgery. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?

I too had problems with my depression after my surgery. They added a med that is not time released. As a sleever we are to avoid time released meds per my Bariatric team. After a couple of tweeks I am doing well now.

Seroquel causes such hunger, I could not take it, if not for XR. Along with Metformin XR, it balances out, and I have had much less cravings. Where were you told no XR for sleeve?

I had to dig out my surgery info. Their recommendation was no ex or sr especially crushed. I was on wellbutrion xr but was not working effectively. My psychologist changed to the SR. I do not crush and took some tweeking but I am in a great spot now. I think you just need to really work with your physician to find the best solution for you and to not crush them so they absorb too fast. Sorry I was a little off on my original post.

I have just switched my depression medication. I am only 4 weeks out but could tell that what I was taking was not working for me. Talk to your physician and keep after it until it is right!

One of the reasons people choose Sleeve is because the medication problems are virtually non-existent, as the stomach is still a stomach and not a pouch. Drs. often have no idea the difference between sleeve and other types.

RickyDee,

Not true. Absorption of medications is a HUGE issue with the gastric sleeve. Your stomach does not have nearly as much stomach acid to break down medication for absorption. Research "gastric sleeve medication absorption".

I take Effexor HCL 50mg for Migraine prevention and have not had any issues.

Very good topic. I been real anxious lately perhaps my meds aren't working..uumm.

Effexor XR is a capsule if you shake it you can hear the meds inside those lil balls are suppose to break down and release slowly I could see where you wouldn't get the full benfit from it after surgery I feel like I need to be on something since I've had surgery I am very easily aggregated 90% of the time I never knew how much I used food to calm me down esp at work when its stressful guess that's how I got a 100lbs over weight!

Also, be careful with alcohol after surgery. Since you no longer have food as an escape lots of Bariatric patients end up turning to alcohol and end up in AA... I've seen it happen to myself as we'll as 2 of my friends who had the surgery.

Since you can't eat and drink at the same time you end up drinking on an empty stomach and we all know how fast alcohol hits on an empty stomach.

I take Effexor too . No complications . Depending on how long u have been on the meds , sometimes ur body develops a tolerance for them. Might want to switch or up the megication

I had Sleeve December 17, 2013.

I've been on anti depressants on and off since high school, Wellbrution (300 mg) for 7 years & Celxa (20 mg) for about 2 years now.

The past few weeks, my anixety has been through the roof. I have cold, tingling feelings all over my body. Heart palpations, racing thoughts. I do feel like I am losing control. I'm even having dreams about checking myself in to a mental institution. I am relying much more on my Xanax. Which I can feel the effects just within a few minutes of taking it. It feels like I'm in a dazed/ in a trans. I'm exercising every day, I am following the diet, drinking my Water. Almost got my Protein intake to a decent level.

I don't know what to do. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I have also been feeling about out of control I am eight weeks out today. I am calling my pshc doctor to make appointment to see what can be done, it seems like every little pain I drill on and get scared. I had postpartum depression after my daughter 24 years ago and have been on doxepin is the generic to sinaquan. But being in here helps a lot I have learned over time the best healing for this is to see your not alone and the support here is great :) as a sample I have pain in my upper back like a knife stabbing me more than likely gas but depression likes to make me feel like something bad is wrong. I will always be thankful to my doctor and his staff they are always there for me. But when I go I will come back and post for everyone :)

I had Sleeve December 17, 2013.

I've been on anti depressants on and off since high school, Wellbrution (300 mg) for 7 years & Celxa (20 mg) for about 2 years now.

The past few weeks, my anixety has been through the roof. I have cold, tingling feelings all over my body. Heart palpations, racing thoughts. I do feel like I am losing control. I'm even having dreams about checking myself in to a mental institution. I am relying much more on my Xanax. Which I can feel the effects just within a few minutes of taking it. It feels like I'm in a dazed/ in a trans. I'm exercising every day, I am following the diet, drinking my Water. Almost got my Protein intake to a decent level.

I don't know what to do. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

i hope you have called your doctor!