Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Weeks after surgery, need advice!

BetsyJane,

Good luck tomorrow. You will do just fine. Dont forget your pillow for the post op tomorrow. It comes in handy! You are in good hands with Spivak and the SurgiCenter. They really take great care of you.

Hi all. I was referred by a sweet lady, Angela, peaceseeker55, to post. I had my surgery on Tues. Nov 7 and can barely drink any liquids at all. This morning I held down maybe 5 0z total but have been vomitting all evening again. This has been the case for 5 days. The pain when drinking even tiny sips is killer and throwing up relieves the painful pressure. I know how bad this is for slippage but I can't help it. The Dr. took an exray and there was a small amt. of Fluid passing and he seemed happy with that. I am afraid of dehydration and lack of nutirients. I still can't even eat Jello and the Protein drinks are tough. Will this get better? Will I loosen up. Is there a med. that will help me? Any and all acvice welcome.

Monica :help:

Hi Monica! It's me Angela!! Here I am AngelaT Go to the November bandster thread on the general board so you can meet all of our Nov. group. Hope you can get some good answers here! :welcome:

I guess all surgeons are different in that respect.

Mine has me on liquids (anything I can get through a straw) for the first 3 weeks, then slowly moving onto mushies .. then by the 7th week post op, full solids.

Hi all. I was referred by a sweet lady, Angela, peaceseeker55, to post. I had my surgery on Tues. Nov 7 and can barely drink any liquids at all. This morning I held down maybe 5 0z total but have been vomitting all evening again. This has been the case for 5 days. The pain when drinking even tiny sips is killer and throwing up relieves the painful pressure. I know how bad this is for slippage but I can't help it. The Dr. took an exray and there was a small amt. of Fluid passing and he seemed happy with that. I am afraid of dehydration and lack of nutirients. I still can't even eat Jello and the Protein drinks are tough. Will this get better? Will I loosen up. Is there a med. that will help me? Any and all acvice welcome.

Monica :help:

They should have given you something for the nausea. My doctor gave me suppositories and told me to avoid vomiting at all costs b/c of the risk of slippage. I don't think they should be ignoring your problem. Sometimes you have to make them do something cause no ones health is at risk but yours. Hope you feel better soon.

Hey Monica!

I am soooo sorry you are not feeling better! I had a really tough first week myself, although I never actually vommited. I too had a hard time getting things down and found that warm liquid was much more soothing than room temperature. I also LIVED on anti-nausea medication that first week. In its liquid form, it works great...but it did make me very sleepy. Are you taking any medication for the nausea?

Don't fret...I really wondered what I had done to myself in the beginning, but now I am 5 weeks out and know without a doubt that the early struggles are so worth it! Keep the faith and BE PATIENT! We are all pulling for you!

Just remember that your band isn't working until your first fill. You will naturally be more hungry until that time. Good luck.

Not for me I have only room for 6oz and I haven't had a fill yet. It is scheduled for Dec 1 but I am going to postpone it, till I feel the need to have one done. One person I talked to has lost 115lbs and never had a fill. So for me its wait. I am already full. lol

I was banded Monday and was on liquids for just 2 days. Not I'm on mushies. I haven't felt any restriction, but I sure haven't tested it. Are all bands unfilled during surgery?

Purtynailz, you are lucky. My doctor said that the band isn't activated until the first fill. I guess there are some that don't need them. In her case, she probably does. You are lucky!