Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spanish 101 and travel tips?

Hope this is ok to post here, still new to the forums so not sure if this is the right place or not but wanted to share.

My surgery isn't for awhile and instead of driving myself crazy thinking (:::cough::: I mean obsessing) about my trip I've decided to take the opportunity to learn more about the area, it's culture and history and start some Spanish lessons. I figure that by the time I get there I'll have a better appreciation and be able to enjoy all the sights and sounds better. So with my bag already packed and plans made for pre-op and after I went searching for some free Spanish lessons. I just wanted to share some in case anyone else might want to learn or brush up a bit before the big day.

For anyone with an ipad check out the iTunesU course selection. There's a good Spanish I course from Arkansas that includes a full color textbook, and everything you need is included (quizzes, videos, audio and PDF's to print and save as reminders. I also came across another interesting looking course that BBC put together. http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/mividaloca/full_details.shtml

So for the next month and a half I'll be trying to learn a bit, not sure how much will stick but at least it will help pass the time. Does anyone have any language or travel tips to share for the big day?

LOL! I have been obsessing about the suregry too. :P My husband makes fun of me.

I am taking my phone and I downloaded an app to help with the nurses. Great idea, by the way. I think it's funny when people complain about the nurses IN MEXICO, don't know english. LOL, that's rich. How many times do I hear people in the U.S. say, "If you don't know english, then go back to your country"!!!

I don't think anyone would say something like that to you in Mexico. And nowadays is not so hard to find people who speak english there you will be fine!

Now for those who do complaint about the nurses who don't speak english lol it's funny because they can get full service in english here in the US if they are willing to pay the price. uhhmmm .

I got my surgery done here in the US but I speak Spanish so if you guys need any help learning spanish I'd be glad to help.

Thanks Ivonneh, I don't think I'll have any problems translating but wanted to learn a bit, you know when in Rome and all that :) I've got a translator app on standby just in case. I do think it's funny that some people complain that the nurses don't all speak english, O.o seriously?

I did have some travel questions, like will I need an adapter for my electronics but thanks to google it looks like they are the same as in the states. I knew europe was different but had never thought about outlets in Mexico. I'll need to look up taking food across the border, we're driving out to San Diego so we'll be packing a cooler for the road trip and was wondering if we'll need to pack just enough for the road trip or if hubby can take it across with some Snacks while I'm in the hospital.

It is kind of ironic, one complaining that residents of a Spanish speaking country speak primarily Spanish. We Americans are know for being a bit ethnocentric...

I don't think I've seen a lot of complaints about the language barrier on this forum. Mostly just observations and a " FYI" shout out. Which is good so we are more prepared and our expectations are level...

I will get a translator app too just in case. Work on my Spanish, cuz if ya don't use, ya lose it. And hope for the best...

Amanda Rae

Thanks Ivonneh, I don't think I'll have any problems translating but wanted to learn a bit, you know when in Rome and all that :) I've got a translator app on standby just in case. I do think it's funny that some people complain that the nurses don't all speak english, O.o seriously?

I did have some travel questions, like will I need an adapter for my electronics but thanks to google it looks like they are the same as in the states. I knew europe was different but had never thought about outlets in Mexico. I'll need to look up taking food across the border, we're driving out to San Diego so we'll be packing a cooler for the road trip and was wondering if we'll need to pack just enough for the road trip or if hubby can take it across with some Snacks while I'm in the hospital.

I was being sarcastic on my firt comment. Of course is not funny.

As for being prepared ...you don't need any special gadgets. I don't know what kind of hospital you are going to but private hospitals in Mexico are just as hospitals in the US. You can googlethe city and places you will be in. In Mexico you can live just like in the US if you have the money to pay for it.

You can also check out Spanishpod101.com, I used their japanese site when I was attempting to learn japanese :)

The border at Tijuana is one of the busiest in the country. It's not likely your husband will want to deal with it more than the round trip. There's really no need to bring your own Snacks. The food there is pretty great. I do know that California prohibits fruits and vegetables to be brought into the state. Don't think there's a limit about going into Mexico.

I'm actually driving down from about an hour north and parking at the airport and having them get me. Mostly as I just don't want to take my car to Mexico and won't be driving anywhere once there. Figure the airport parking is about the same as the hotel parking and a lot safer.

Thanks hazelsmrf will definitely check that out :)

Socaldixiegal we'll be parking at the airport and waiting on transport from there as well, just easier since we won't be driving anywhere in Mexico. Thinking it would be safer as well.

You guys have put my mind at ease, I know it will be a great trip. Now just have to wait for the big day and hope the new tax delay doesn't push my surgery date back.