Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, might have to turn in my man card for asking this....

So let me set the stage before asking the question.

I've never been a mouthy' date=' cocky, arrogant person. But I've never been afraid to speak my mind and I've got a bad habit of jumping into the fray if I feel a need to. For example if I see someone shoplifting at the store I'll grab them by the ear and drag them to a manager or security. If I'm at a bar or restaurant and someone smacks their wife/gf I'm more than happy to knock them on their ass.

At 6'1" 350ish this wasn't a big challenge and although I've never looked "intimidating" I've rarely been challenged simply because of size. I've never been one to pick a fight but I've always been one to stand my ground. Walking through bad parts of town or even downtown late at night has never concerned me and my wife and many friends always want me to accompany them in those situations for that very reason.

So now the question, having the surgery and losing the weight do you ever feel more vulnerable? Like physically vulnerable? I'm not like scared out of my mind over this but you lose a certain edge giving up the size.

For myself I've decided to enroll in Krav Maga lessons, I figure along it's good exercise (along with the gym) but also very practical and might alleviate those concerns. And I'd rather have the ability to defend myself and never need it rather than risk a confrontation going wrong.

Am I the only one who has thought this?[/quote']

I was always in the same boat as you....big strong guy, no one messed with me, I felt safe. But as I get older, and in better shape, I think a lot of the security I had was an illusion. Yes I may have been able to manhandle somebody....for about 30 seconds, before I started sucking wind. My speed and cardio were non existent and I've realized that those things are way more important than strength against someone who knows anything at all about fighting. Now, at 235 I look like somebody who works out and takes care of himself. Heck I got pecs for the first time in my life. But I also got a concealed handgun license (thank you state of Texas) so I'm not as worried about it.

I love watching BJJ and I'm a big, long time fan of Rickson Gracie. I'd love to be able to do BJJ but at 43 years old I don't think my ego could handle all the ass kickings those young 20-somethings would be giving me in class. What I wouldn't give for a 40 and over class. LOL

my advice? DO IT! we have some 40+ novice white belts at our gym. we also have some 40+ purple and brown belt headhunters.

the key is to find a gym that doesn't have the big ego thing going on.. most gyms that train MMA with a BJJ program on the side are going to be loaded up with guys looking to wreck people. it will be rough, you'll get beat up, and you'll quit.

if you find a purist gym that is BJJ focused (most of them have some cardio/crossfit classes on the side too since it helps pay the bills) then you'll have a much friendlier, more technical, focused atmosphere.

most purist gyms have beginner and fundamental programs where you only train with guys at your skill level, so you can learn without getting destroyed every time you're at the gym. it helps with the potential ego issues :)

First, I was surprised at how many women responded to this post in "The Man Room". I'm new to this, but thought there would be more men in here. I am scheduled for sleeve on 1/17/13 and this has been my only worry. Keeping my strength on a starvation diet. Anybody been sleeved and have any issues with this. I have no problem with working out, but can the diet keep up? And I think Jiu Jitsu is great for cardio and muscle. I've never had such a great workout with any other martial art.

there are some guys bouncing around, but women vastly outnumber us on this site.

re: the diet.. it's hard to tell. i'm still pre-op as well but i have some experience with a very low calorie / low carb / high Protein diet.

it is likely that you will lose some strength in the initial phase, mainly because you'll be out of the gym for 4ish weeks. my surgeon recommended the sleeve to me because of my concerns with muscle wasting, saying that as long as my Protein intake is sufficient i shouldn't have to worry too much about muscle loss AS LONG AS i keep up my activities on the mat. if anything a lighter body will increase my cardio endurance and allow me to work harder. muscle growth is not impossible with the sleeve, but you have to plan well.

do you train bjj now?

First' date=' I was surprised at how many women responded to this post in "The Man Room". I'm new to this, but thought there would be more men in here. I am scheduled for sleeve on 1/17/13 and this has been my only worry. Keeping my strength on a starvation diet. Anybody been sleeved and have any issues with this. I have no problem with working out, but can the diet keep up? And I think Jiu Jitsu is great for cardio and muscle. I've never had such a great workout with any other martial art.[/quote']

You'll find post op, most of your Protein will be in liquid form.

I've noticed that us guys tend to not have many problems getting down liquids, I for a ample was getting 100g+ Protein 2 days after surgery. All liquid mind you, but it was happening. As far as other nutrients, almost anything is possible.

But there is the possibility of extreme swelling inside your stomach which will wean that you might take a couple weeks to lose the liquid restriction.

To many people carry guns and knifes anymore don't care if you can kick cause your not kicking a bullet.

I've always been big and strong but I carry my 9mm as well.

To many people carry guns and knifes anymore don't care if you can kick cause your not kicking a bullet.

I actually think my gun wouldn't do a bit of good against a BJJ expert, if he got up close. But then again, those aren't the people I'm worried about. Most of those people have enough self control to not go looking for trouble. It's the young wild bucks with something to prove.

i guess i'm at the top of the heap then since i rarely leave home without my sidearm :D

I was rolling at a gym that closed down a couple years ago, but haven't found a good replacement. An L.A. Boxing gym in town was offering a few JJ classes, but it wasn't the same. Once I recover from surgery I will look into another place. O.T.R. Sleever, how are you getting so much Protein on Clear Liquids? Please teach me.

jacobn what city are you in?

also, Isopure clear Protein drinks give a whopping 40g/bottle.

I'm in Fresno/Clovis Area in the central valley of California. Do they have clear supplements at shake stores/GNC?

I hear what you are saying, and have carried for 20+ years. But I also know it's my last, final option and I would still like to be able to sufficiently apply myself.

I was initially surprised by the total differences between the men and the women on the topic.

I'm 9 weeks post op. My kids do nippers (like training to be lifesavers for kids in Australia) I'd always been fine in the surf. Strong swimmer and the waves just seem to bounce off me. Last Sunday I got dumped by the surf a number of times like I was a rag doll. It was quite funny. So I know what you mean.

I was rolling at a gym that closed down a couple years ago' date=' but haven't found a good replacement. An L.A. Boxing gym in town was offering a few JJ classes, but it wasn't the same. Once I recover from surgery I will look into another place. O.T.R. Sleever, how are you getting so much Protein on clear liquids? Please teach me.[/quote']

Early out it was Isopure RTD, chicken stock, and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup in Water. The Unjury might not have technically been "clear" but my surgeon was ok with it.

Early out it was Isopure RTD' date=' chicken stock, and unjury chicken Soup in Water. The Unjury might not have technically been "clear" but my surgeon was ok with it.[/quote']

Also I advanced to full liquids sooner than was recommended. Not that I advise it, but I did it.