Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing 85% of your stomach 4ever

That sounds like gastric plication' date=' or the "stomach-sparing sleeve". So far, the results haven't been quite as good and you don't have the reduction in ghrelin production.

[/quote']

That's exactly what it was. We didn't discuss it or its results, but I have seen mention of it on other threads in this forum.

Greatest thing for my health that I've ever done. There is not a single thing about the amputated part of my stomach that I miss. Good riddance fundus.

My surgeon told me (he's in his 40s I think) that in the nursing home when he is old people will be amazed he spent his life cutting out stomachs because medicine would have progressed by then - but he said until that happens he's still in work - and i don't intend to wait 10-30 years until viable alternatives are available! :)

There is a new one, its called Gastic Plication, its not FDA approved yet. Its almost like the sleeve except they do not remove the stomach.

@@ATX Girl i didnt see you already posted about the Gastric Plication :)

I keep thinking am I crazy to have a dr remove 80 percent of a perfectly healthy organ. My surgery is oct 13. You can read my mind

Several studies done in the past few years show that the only way to achieve permanent, significant weight loss is through bariatric surgery. Whether one chooses Duodenal Switch, RNY, Lap-Band or VSG, it is the metabolic changes that follow the surgery that truly allow us to lose the weight and maintain the weight loss. Effectively the surgery reduces our metabolic weight 'set point', so our bodies strive to maintain a lower weight instead of constantly fighting our dieting efforts to protect a higher weight.

The 'set point' research continues to develop. At some point in the future researchers may find a way to alter this set point through hormonal or metabolic therapy. When that happens some drug company will be insanely rich and bariatric surgeons will need to find another avenue to ply their trade. However, that research is still in its infancy and for now (and the forseeable future) bariatric surgery still seems to be the only way to achieve and maintain significant weight loss.

For my personal situation I was not interested in Lap-band as it was introducing a foreign object in my body, plus the long term results and complication rates were beginning to come under scruitiny. RNY seemed a bit drastic. VSG seemed like the perfect solution. Being in my 50's with medical challenges I did not want to wait for what could be many years for the opportunity to improve my quality of life.

Goodbye stomach! You sucked!!!

Never let me be full and let me get fat. So see ya!!!!

Go on now go... Walk out the door...your not welcome anymore!!

How fortunate! I just returned from The Future. And you're right -- they've got a whole new way to deal with obesity. You won't believe what it is!

DELETED BY TIME MACHINE MONITOR.

The fact is they will come up with a better surgery, like you mentioned medicine is always evolving. For me I don't worry about it, I'm living in the now so I took the best option for me. If you are worried, perhaps you should take a step back and wait a while before making this life changing decision.

^^^^THIS^^^^

You simply can't live your life on shoulda, woulda, coulda. This was the easiest surgery I've had in my adult life. I was in my 50's when I had my surgery, and yes I wish I had done it sooner, but I am darn sure going to live my best life now. Modern medicine evolves all the time. I'm sure one day they'll be like, "why were removing wisdom teeth? " or "Why take out someone's tonsils?"

What I do know is right now, VSG is safe. I have zero regrets.

I am glad it's gone ????????????????????????

Every bit of time spent waiting is another bit of time being obese. I am thrilled it's gone. And if they invent something "better" tomorrow I'm still fine with my choice. It worked. And I will live the rest of my life happy and healthy with a smaller stomach. People have had gastrectomies for decades for stomach cancer and lived full lives afterwards. So mine was done for a different reason, I am still happy and healthy.

I don't feel like my stomach is a healthy organ. It is 80% too big and needs to be reduced in order for me to be healthy.

Totally understand.

Here is where I am since my Sept 10 VSG: My stomach fits around 4oz of anything.

That helps me control portions, how much I drink, think about what I'm putting in my mouth, being selective with the foods I can eat and it also helps me know when I'm full.

So at this point although I may be only eating gruel that tastes similar to the foods they were pre purée I don't miss the 85% of my stomach.

Just try to avoid coughing & sneezing for a month or so or it will remind you that your stomach is missing ;-)

I was told my doc does a 90% sleeve which freaked me out at first! All I can tell you is that 2 years later, (heck, even 6 months later), I feel perfectly "normal". I can eat what I like in small quantities including pizza, Pasta, meats, rice, bread and alcohol, but I try and stick to higher Protein lower carb choices. They are the "prescription" and I feel less bloaty and have better energy when I follow it. Do I regain? Yep. But I weigh at least once per week, (not every day) and the difference is that now, I can recover from a five pound gain within a week or 2 simply by focusing back on the basics and giving up some of the less healthy choices. In short, I'm winning the maintenance battle now where I never could before. Life as a "normal" sized, health woman is AMAZING! Miss that 90%? Not. One. Bit!