Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery...oh, the pain...the pain...

So, Thursday, 12/27, my son and I are sleeved! What a trip it is. We arrived at 6:00 a.m. They took me in first. The nice preop nurse set me up on my gurney and did my IV. The anesthesiologist came in and chatted and I had something to relax me then off to the OR. It was funny, but so true, they put the mask over my mouth and they said I would go to sleep and I said oh, yeah...then someone said Christine, you're all done. Uh, what just happened? If it wasn't for the pain in my chest (gas, ugh) I wouldn't have believed it, at that moment. Weird! Went right up to my room, which was nice, no waiting. So then hubby got to listen to my groans. The gas pain in the sternum was awful. No sorethroat of any kind, not even a hint of one, from intubation, I expected something. Spent a pain-filled (gas-filled) night. Walked three times before settling in for the night. Nothing to drink but I had some icewater and these spongey swabs to moisten my lips and mouth with. The morphine drip did nothing to help, really. We were given shots for blood thinners and an anti-inflammatory and omeprozole in the IV. So, finally morning came and we had our upper GIs to look for leakage. Nothing was seen so I guess that's good, but I did not handle it well. I thought I would faint and throw up standing at the machine, but didn't. So now we can have Water and I have some broth and Jello for lunch. Actually, they put us right on full liquids. No problem swallowing, but the gas moves around when the liquid hits my sleeve. Our surgeon came in and said the test looked good. Unfortunately, we do have drains in the middle of our stomachs. Doc said we are keeping them until Wednesday at the postop visit he will remove them then.

As the day goes on, my son is doing really well, but I decide I am going to stay another night. My son will go home and he gets to have the drain out, since it is leaking less than mine. Staying one more night made a big difference.

So far, knock on wood, it has not been a horrific experience, although you fear the worst going into it. Gas is still a problem, though I'm hopeful it will go away soon. I get really aggravated really easily. I have to direct the two able bodied persons in my house and I hate not being able to just do the things I have to tell them to do. I can't get a handle on how to get the Protein in when you can't really eat anything. I am just concentrating on liquid intake, with sugar-free pops and italian ices (nice) and broths, etc., and I am nursing a Protein shake, like, all day. The omeprazole is in capsule form and is small enough to just swallow, which I did, and had no problem with it going down or in the sleeve (small blessings).

Tonight, New Year's Eve, we're going to get chinese food, including my son and I; we will get some eggdrop or wonton or some similar Soup. It's nice to be able to do that and really appreciate and savor the food.

All in all, definitely could be worse. I hope all of our 27th co-sleevers have come through at least as well, if not better, and I hope we all have the best ever new year.

That's all for now. Catch up with ya later!

post-39599-13813661825628_thumb.jpg

post-39599-13813661826549_thumb.jpg

post-39599-1381366182808_thumb.jpg

post-39599-13813661828492_thumb.jpg

Congratulations!! Glad you and your son are doing well! Happy New Year... this one will be a memorable one for you! :)

Wonton Soup is oily so be careful. I tried it around four months out and felt sick to my stomach.

Congrats and welcome to the losers bench :)

Thanks Mel. I ended up getting egg drop and putting it through the processor. It was delicious but it will last forever as a couple of tablespoons is the limit.

So, came back today from first postop visit. Doc removed the drain. He was surprised (not concerned) that it was still bleeding. Ugckh, it was weird to pull that thing out! I am back to preop weight, so down 18 pounds from our first weigh-in by the doc's office scale. All good. My amazing son, started at 429, down to 366 :o. He already looks awesome. So far everything in our recovery is within the circle of normal. So, I'm happy. He, of course, said start trying to push Protein. So we went to GNC and picked up the Isopure zero carb drink, alpine punch. It's pretty good, tart, not super sweet. The bottles are ridiculously expensive ($5.39) but the powder is half price right now ($45.98) so we bought that. We can sip that all day long and push our Protein. Now just to work on a good recovery.

Thanks for reading everyone and good luck!