Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My personal journey...I think that this is harder for me then I realized.

Hello! Not certain where to start...but this is my effort to understand/learn what the sleeve now means...on a permanent level. I feel like I had a surgery and then was left with a multitude of questions.

April 16, 2011 surgery date with Dr. Wade Barker in Dallas, Texas. The office was supportive when they had time for my questions or could squeeze me in but I am left with many. I here they have great support groups but here amazing reviews about this site! Fingers crossed..

I started at 225.2 lbs - size 20 - 5'4 : Not healthy...Currently, I'm 180 and size 12 (45.2 lbs!). Slow..but steady. Goal is Healthy first then in 145ish range. 35 lbs to go...But:

1) Protein - I've had so much that I don't want anymore! (liquid shots/bullets) The thought of one more..But Must digest because my hair has fallen out @ 50%.

2) I am uncertain if I am taking the correct Vitamins (sub-lingual B12 complex, bariatric chewable Iron, Multivitamin, zinc,) ...my skin and hair no longer appears healthy..

3) Realization: It just hit me..a yr and half later..I have to do these things for life to stay healthy..What did I do?? (No support groups here)

4) Dehydration. How can I tell if I am in taking enough? My skin...

5) ****Prilosec****: My dr.s in Texas told me I should be off after three months. A year and a half later..in California (where I have to explain to the bariatric surgeons...what it is)...told me I will have severe acid reflux for my life. Therefore, remain year and half later...on Prilosec? Please help...no one here is listening.

post-47457-13813661823454_thumb.jpg

Sarah,

If I understood your post you are a year and a half out from surgery. While I don't have surgery until 1/2/12, I have been doing a lot of research. My question to you is are you still on 100 liquids or just using the Protein bullets as supplements? Are you using some kind of nutrition tracker that not only tracks your calories but also Protein, fat, Iron, Fiber, etc? I was vegan for a year and maintained 1200 calorie diet and never had a problem with my protein (60 g) daily requirement. I know many are unaware that there is protein in many vegetables especially legumes. Try blended Soups of black Beans, for example, which is very tasty with the right seasoning and hits many of the nutrient requirements. I would also recommend keeping a food log in general and how you feel after eating. I suffer heartburn and acid reflux with specific drinks and foods and have learned to avoid them.

You have stuck in there this long and worked hard. BTW surgeons are not always right. Each has their own opinion on what is and isn't. Find your own solution. I have never used Prilosec, instead I use the generic tums. Those chewable Calcium tablets. They work great and taste half way descent.

I know this probably won't help much but at least you know someone is listening.

I fly out tomorrow and have surgery the next day so will try to touch base with you again when I get back. Good luck, stay strong, and my prayers are on your side!

Happy New Year! :D

I use myfitnesspal to track my food and exercise. That said I have lost 108 pounds since my surgery (03/01/12). My hair finally stopped falling out this month. I do not drink any Protein Shakes or shots bc they are high calorie and most doctors recommend you get your Protein from your food once you are able to eat solids again. I eat 2 Multi Vitamins a day and my blood work is normal. I hope this helps. :)

Are you relying on Protein drinks/supplements to get your required Protein in? What does your daily intake (diet) look like? My understanding is that there's really nothing we can do to stop the hair from falling out. Getting in protein and Vitamins is a start to help keep hair, but it seems that everyone loses some. I have heard that it will grow back, but many people say that it never is as full/thick as it was. Some people will supplement with Biotin to help, but there is no real scientific evidence to support using Biotin to stop Hair loss or promote Hair growth. Most "evidence" is anecdotal one way or the other.

The list of Vitamins you shared sounds about right and minus the zinc, that's what I take. I've noticed some changes in my skin, mostly because it's looser now. The texture has changed. My hair hasn't changed... yet. I'm waiting for the inevitable, though.

Most of us get in about 64 oz of water/fluid a day. That is enough to keep healthy and hydrated.

As for the prilosec, I think it's pretty common for us to take. I'm currently taking Zegerid, which is basically prilosec with sodium bicarbonate in it, which my surgeon recommended. I think that the reduced capacity of the stomach along with the tube shape contributes to a greater incidence of acid reflux, which is something I never experienced prior to surgery. I had a post surgery issue with esophageal spasms that made a PPI a necessity. I've not yet bothered to try and not take it, because I'd rather not risk another stomach acid incident.

The community here is a good one and I use it in place of a traditional support group. There's one in my area but they meet in the evenings when I'm at work, so I'm never available to go. I've found people to be willing to help and generally if there's a question, someone's experienced it and will pipe up about it.

Welcome and good luck :)

Hi Deb,

Thank you for your reply! I am taking the Protein shots as a supplement. Initially, decided to do this as I was just no longer hungry after having the surgery and my stomach is so small now. I was not intaking enough through Protein packed foods. Today, although delicious, am exhausted of the hard boiled eggs, various bean mixtures, nuts etc. So, resorted back through personal gooogling to Protein Shots.< /p>

My severe acid reflux started after my surgey. It's so bad I can feel my esphogas/throat closing every morning if I do not wake up and immediately take Prilosec. My diet no longer contains trigger foods..more bland. Currently, I'm undergoing tests and waitin results of Upper GI, Vitamin deficiency blood work. However, prefer a cap full of diluted apple cider vinegar for immediate relief..but over the counter treatments are starting to fail... :( tums...was like candy. I'm worried.

Actually, I thought about becoming vegan....hmmm?

Hi, I have made my Premier Protein drink a permanent item I drink everyday, no matter what...On a daily basis I take a Vitamin B complex. vitamin B12, Multivitamin, Iron, Calcium, co enzyme, krill oil, Biotin, and silica. The biotin and silica helps with the regrowth of my hair and boy, is it a rapid growth, in all places, even where I didn't have hair. LOL. I had come to point where I was sick of Protein, but quickly came around and just excepted that I needed my protein. I really love my body's size and want to not gain weight so I utilize my fitness pal to calculate what I eat. You are doing a great job and have come to a great place to ask questions. :)

Wow...Thank you Crystal and The Gamer. I needed to hear exactly what you are also saying. One..I am not alone. Two, Crystal...great tip and see the light at the end (today) of the tunnel. The Gamer..Very Informative. I didn't realize how common some of my symptoms (acid reflux) were. I'm no guru..yet! I am using Nioxin shampoo/conditioner. I read up on biotin...heard the same. One alternative med/sleeve site suggested zinc & Iron combo to assist in hair regrowth. However, that's not what I've always taken zinc for? Thank you all kindly.

You've gotten some thoughtful advice already, but I just wanted to say that I am sorry you felt "alone" prior to finding this board. I should warn you that a few weeks ago, we had a few participants who were less than congenial and they were "banned." Most people on this board are very nice and try to help out. That being said, if you ever encounter someone caustic, just ignore them.

Good luck getting healthy!!!

Hi Sarah, I am only 2weeks out and down 12 pounds out of the 100 I want to lose. So I am not as experienced as some of the others on this site with going through this, but I do have professional experience in bariatrics as well as an excellent bariatric clinic where I am patient. That said, I can tell you the Biotin is a great idea and works for some but not all. Check with your dr. on the type of Calcium you should be taking, the type makes a difference. calcium citrate rather than calcium carbonate is more easily digested by the stomach. If your dr oks that, it may help reduce some of your gastric reflux, but not certain. The best way to know if you are getting enough fluids is to look at your pee. If it is light and clear and does not have a strong odor, you should be ok. Maybe you need to try something different from prilosec. My dr put me on pepcid twice a day even though I have been on prilosec for years. I hope some of this info is helpful. Glad you found this board for support.

Hopefully your tests will shed some light on why you still have such bad reflux. You may have a hiatal hernia and this contributes to reflux significantly. I had one and didn't know it. It was fixed at my sleeve surgery two weeks ago. It is when the hole in your diaphragm that lets your esophagus go through to attach to your stomach is too big. If not repaired, your sleeve is now narrow enough that part of your stomach can move up into your chest.

If this is what is causing it, the good news is that it can be fixed.

Yes, definitely pursue testing. If all else fails, it's clear the Prilosec is not doing what it's intended to do and you might be one of the unlucky few that needs something stronger, like Protonix, for relief.

I understand the exhaustion with Protein and being bored with your options. I do think that compared to a whey Protein powder (or even the vegan options) Protein bullets are a less quality, less-absorbable option. I might hear some arguments on this but it seems to be what I've read in my own research. This might be part of the nutritional deficiency you're experiencing.

I take a prescription Iron supplement (I've been on Ferralet and Bifera) and this helps immensely with the fatigue without giving me the side effects of ferrous sulfate. I also take B12 shots because I was seriously deficient. I noticed an almost immediate improvement in my overall well being once I was on these supplements. I had memory loss and basically felt like a zombie for several months some point after one year. My hair didn't return to it's former glory until I was on supplements for a few months. And Biotin did nothing for me except make me feel nauseated, but everyone is different. The Nioxin helped slow my Hair loss long enough for me to recover, I think. I no longer use it and unlike my husband (who can't stop using it or he loses hair) I haven't noticed any issues because I switched to a different brand.

On one hand, taking supplements stinks, sure. But you know what? I'm not sticking my finger with a blood monitor to test my sugars four times a day any more. The trade off is so worth the aggravation, in my opinion. I think that while it's easy to get frustrated and you're clearly at a low point right now, with perspective it all balances out.

I feel best when I aim for 70-90 grams of protein a day. But to do that, I try to drink one Protein shake daily (I mix mine with coffee in the mornings) that has about 40+ grams of protein in it. I get the rest of my protein slowly throughout the day. If you are not eating a good variety of foods - if you're still eating protein, protein, protein until you're full and skipping the carbs and good fats, it's no wonder you're burnt out! This isn't Atkins for life, so make sure you're getting a nice balance.

And try other sources of protein, too, if you're open to other options. I like quinoa, seitan, tofu (in moderation), tempeh and lentils as sources of protein that aren't as dense and difficult to eat. I eat eggs about a thousand different ways to keep things interesting, too.

This is a challenging life journey for a lot of reasons. We don't just have to learn a new way to eat and live but we have to shed old habits and ideas about our health and our bodies. It's a hard journey physically and mentally but it's so worth the effort. You're feeling frustrated and burnt out right now and this is the right place to come for support. I hope you get some help here and can get over this hump, so you can finish out your journey feeling much happier and healthier, all around.

Good luck,

~Cheri

Regarding GERD, I had it before, and I have it still...18 months post -op. I take 2 Prilosec daily, but now my insurance company says they'll only pay for one per day, so I'll reduce to one per day and we'll see. I take 2 multivitamin/mineral tablets a day. My labs are great.

One thing that strikes me about the comments on this site, over and over, is that people complain about the food they can eat. Such and such does not agree with me. I'm embarassed eating in public because I can't eat as much as everyone else. First, whose busines is it what you eat or do not eat? Second, watch the people around you as you are eating in public places. So many of them eat so much too much that it is a little nauseating to watch. Now notice the size 2 women. They eat one quarter of what they are served (about what I can eat 18 months out) and take home the rest.

As for hair and skin, if the lab work sys you are healthy (including a nutrtion panel), then use good qaulity moituriers and condtioners.

The main thing I wanted to say is that having to watch your health for the rest of your life is that it's far, far beter than what we ALL were doing pre-op, which was pay no attention to our health.

Look to this group for support, and be happy being small and looking great.