Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice on size of 2nd fill

I was banded 9/13. I believe I have a 10cc band. At my first fill on 10/11, the technician asked me how many cc's I'd like. I asked how many can I get and she indicated 3-4 cc's. Having read enough stories about overfilling on LBT, I opted for 1.5. After getting 1.5 and doing the fluoroscopy, she commented "you're still wide open"; we agreed to add another 0.5 cc to get me to 2cc total.

I felt virtually no restriction then or in the 2.5 weeks since the fill. My second fill is scheduled for 11/7. I had planned on getting 1.5cc to get to 3.5 total. Many of the patients had their surgeries performed at the facility that does the fills and for them, the first year of fills are free. I had to have my surgery done at the hospital due to an obstructed airway, so I have to pay $150 for each fill (and perhaps, unfill) so I'm hoping to get to my sweet spot sooner rather than later.

A colleague of mine has found his sweet spot at 4.5cc, so I've established that as my target. 1.5cc's in November and another 1.0 in December will take me to 4.5.

Anyone out there have any wise advice or counsel for me? I appreciate everything the LBT participants do to share their experiences as "bandits".

Because everyone's anatomy is different, there is no way to predetermine how many cc's will be optimal for you. Normally, the MD evaluates how much saline to inject after assessing your weight and asking you questions. It can cause permanent damage to your esophagus if you are over-filled. While I can understand your wanting to save money, you should also consider your overall health as well. The best advice is to consult the MD.

A technician? Thats scary. My doctor does all the fills, and or adjustments, and he decides what is needed. I have asked for more on occasion and been told no. I would think long and hard about that Doc.

I guess I am just spoiled by the level of service and knowledge provided by my Doc. After success speaks for itself.

15 months post op

At goal, 200 pounds lost

Anyway, this young lady knew her stuff. At the center where I get my fills, they muster about 20-25 patients into a hallway and run them through getting filled. It reminded me of getting shots in the military, except the seats were more comfortable and the conversation more stimulating. Apparently, they do 8-10 surgeries in the morning and then they do fills in the afternoon.

I went for my first fill on Monday. I have a VG 10cc band. I was shocked that my surgeon and two other doctors were there to do the fill themselves. It was done under Fluroscope. First he put in 4.5 cc's and I drank the barium then he added another 1 cc, which brings me to 5.5 cc's for my first fill. I feel like I have a good amount of restriction with no problems so far. My insurance only covered the first fill, so I asked him to make it a good one. I have full confidence in him and I don't think he would have put the 5.5 cc's in if he thought it would harm me.

Hi Bill

It Nancy from Sealy. I have been struggling this week with my fill as well.

I have a 4cc band I had my second fill six weeks ago. I was very tight for the last few weeks. Tight but managlable until this past week. I for some reason felt like i was choking for some reason I started having reflux and everything I was eating or drinking was burning. So on Wed. I had to go

to Surg. Center and have 3cc taken out to relieve some of the discomfort.

It is really hard to find the right fill. I have been struggling with this for

several months. I to have to pay 150.00 a pop for fill or unfill. My fills seem to kick in weeks later. Its crazy. I am just really tired right now. I am just really down about it. I hope you can find a fill that works for you.

Talk to you soon.

PS I am still waiting on a answer from Lifetime about holding the meetings there. The young lady that is responsible is out this week. I would really

like to get a support group started asas. Good Luck

Nancy

Hi, everyone.

I have a 10cc band and had my first fill on 10/3/06. Supposibly it was 3.4cc fill, but I'm really not that sure I got that much of a fill because I felt a few drops of saline hit my foot when my physician was filling the band. I told him and he agreed that there was indeed some leaking between the syringe and the tubing. I did not feel much restriction after that fill, therefore I just had my 2nd fill yesterday, he added another 2cc (I didn't feel any leaking this time!) for a total now of 5.4cc. I have to say I now feel a good amount of restriction, maybe a little too much. I'll have to see in few more days after the swelling goes down, but right now even the full liquids feel a little tight.

Good luck to you all!

Teri

My band holds a max of 4cc. I was told by my surgeon. My first fill was 7 weeks post surgery and I was given 1.25cc. I felt mild restriction, mostly when I ate too fast, or didn't chew well. 5 weeks later I had a 2nd fill, it was only .50 cc. and I had good restriction. I could eat most anything, but way less of it, and I had to be very good with the band rules! I had that fill back in July, and was fine with it, until the last couple of weeks, when I began having reflux more often etc. They checked me and I have good flow, with still having restriction, they decided my problem was swelling of the pouch due to the hot foods I eat! They sit there for so long they are irritating the stomach. So I have eased up and been eating other things, and seems they may have been right....no reflux...no pain. So if you have sudden change in restriction also look into any dietary changes. Besides the issue with my hot peppers, I feel this is as close as I can imagine to a sweet spot. I am a total of 1.75cc.'s

Good Luck!!!

Kat

Interesting turn of events at my 2nd fill today. I learned I have the 4cc capacity band not the 10cc capacity band I thought I had. 1cc of the initial 2ccs in my first fill had "evaporated"; I'm told this is normal and that it only occurs after the initial fill. So the missing 1cc was replaced and another 1.5cc's were added. The fluoroscopy shows restriction at 3.5.

I sure hope I feel restricted at 3.5 because there doesn't seem to be much capacity left. Anyone have any information on why 4cc bands are used when 10cc models are available? It would seem to me the greater the capacity, the better the ability to find the "sweet spot".

Bill,

There has been much discussion about amounts of fills, how often, when you get restriction, etc. Go through some of the threads and you will find some valuable information.

I go to the same facility and what I've learned about myself is that I can't tolerate big fills. I am still wide open, the fluro flows through, but if they put lots in me I am going to PB about 6-12 days later. I've seen the trend.

The only times I've PB have been at the duration after a fill. No other times. I've had to go back to the surgicenter and get an unfill. They do a barium swallow first and see that it goes through. When I walked in the door I could barely get a sip of Water to stay down. Go figure.

I now go for small fills at least 4 weeks a part. I would rather pay the extra money then suffer through a PB episode that lasts for days. That's no fun and I feel it does damage if left too long.

The size of the band has to do with the circumference of your stomach. Several doctors have told me that the larger Vanguard is harder to fill because of all the web sections in it. In other words, when they withdraw to see how much is in the band some can stay behind.

I think you will be fine with your band size. I do worry that you took such a big fill, but time will tell. Follow Spiegel's instructions for after a fill. You won't know about your restriction until you start solids. Losing some of the Fluid after the first fill is normal. If it continues then they will need to investigate where it is leaking.

Good luck

I am new to this forum and what a great place

to communicate ideas and experience.

I rec. my first fill in early july and since then I have

had 3 fills. I have lost 40 lbs but what I noticed for me

(and every person has different results and different feelings

to their fill) is that I need to go slow. Too much of a fill will

make you very uncomfortable as we all know and for some

the experience can be terrible. I suggest to all go slowly and

not try to rush the process. Yes you will lose weight more

slowly but your experience will be better and you will obtain

your goals over the long haul safely and with good experience.

Also going slower helps you gauge what foods you need to chew

better than others. To have a very strong tightening feeling in the

throat and chest ( and i have had this ) is not the way to go.

I did throw up once and its not a pleasant experience ( due to not

chewing enough) I realize that the band is only 1 factor in the

sucess of weight loss. The other 2 is food choice and exercise

and if you can rely less on the band and more on the other 2 than

it becomes a more enjoyable ride. Putting to much weight (no pun

intended) on the band and not enough on food choice, Water and

excercise will make it harder. Yes ! get your fill will needed but

only after you can honestly say that you also have been doing

all the other factors. The band is only 1 component of weight loss

and your in charge of the other factors. You cant rush success !!!

If your like me than you took along time to get fat so going slowly

is no big deal. A friend of mine lost 200 lbs on the band and it took

him 2 1/2 to 3 yrs!! I'm sure it was worth the wait!

:)