Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dallas debates new crack law...

I'm all for it! Let's put the "under" back in underwear!

By TAWNELL D. HOBBS / The Dallas Morning News

A proposal to ban saggy pants in Dallas gained steam Wednesday as City Council members discussed how to deal with the popular clothing trend.

Several council members voiced support and asked the city attorney's office to research whether such a rule is enforceable.

Dallas school trustee Ron Price recommended the ban at Wednesday's council meeting, following through on a plan he announced Tuesday. Mr. Price wants the city to create an ordinance to allow police to cite people who wear their pants too low.

"Too low," he said, allows too much underwear to show.

Most of the nine council members who addressed Mr. Price at the meeting said the idea merits discussion. Some said an ordinance was needed, while others felt a public campaign involving the city, schools, parents and the community would be the way to go. Some of the 14 council members said nothing.

Two who spoke – Angela Hunt and Gary Griffith – opposed using police to enforce a ban.

"I'm not going to be in favor of using police officers to track people whose pants are low," Mr. Griffith said.

Mr. Price, dressed in a suit, his usual attire at public meetings, said the effort is aimed not only at children, but also grown men who walk around with their underwear exposed.

"We have a problem in our city," Mr. Price said. He ran a slogan by the council that he's given to the initiative: "Pull it up, or pay up."

While I don't like the pants hangin' crotch at the knee, I agree with T.O.M.---and do not want to start seeing the gov't. step in! There are already indecent exposure laws on the books, if the pants show skin, enforce it, if their unerwear shows, just be glad they are wearing it! If we allow them to make a law on this, what is next? T-shirts with slogans? Because I have seen some very vulgar ones! Shorts? Because face it some people should not be wearing them (shiver!!!). It opens a can of worms I would rather keep the lid tightly closed on!!!

Kat

Makes sense to me. If it were the front they were exposing, it would be indecent exposure, right? Well, to me, their underwear and ass-cracks are no different. And I'm an equal opportunity ass-hater. Women wearing thongs?? This, I don't need to know either.. lol.

I'm all for it! Let's put the "under" back in underwear!

By TAWNELL D. HOBBS / The Dallas Morning News

A proposal to ban saggy pants in Dallas gained steam Wednesday as City Council members discussed how to deal with the popular clothing trend.

Several council members voiced support and asked the city attorney's office to research whether such a rule is enforceable.

Dallas school trustee Ron Price recommended the ban at Wednesday's council meeting, following through on a plan he announced Tuesday. Mr. Price wants the city to create an ordinance to allow police to cite people who wear their pants too low.

"Too low," he said, allows too much underwear to show.

Most of the nine council members who addressed Mr. Price at the meeting said the idea merits discussion. Some said an ordinance was needed, while others felt a public campaign involving the city, schools, parents and the community would be the way to go. Some of the 14 council members said nothing.

Two who spoke – Angela Hunt and Gary Griffith – opposed using police to enforce a ban.

"I'm not going to be in favor of using police officers to track people whose pants are low," Mr. Griffith said.

Mr. Price, dressed in a suit, his usual attire at public meetings, said the effort is aimed not only at children, but also grown men who walk around with their underwear exposed.

"We have a problem in our city," Mr. Price said. He ran a slogan by the council that he's given to the initiative: "Pull it up, or pay up."

While it may be unpleasant to the viewer to be forced to see more of someone's butt than one might like to, isn't this kind of a waste of police manpower? Shouldn't they be chasing after those who are abusing the other kind of crack?

This is such a waste of man power. Plus i believe the more they try to enforce it the more people will rebel. Then the ACLU would get involved because it could be seen as targeting minorites because that style of dress is prevalent in the rap/ hip hop culture. Basically it is opening up a can of worms that is not just not worth it.

This is such a waste of man power. Plus i believe the more they try to enforce it the more people will rebel. Then the ACLU would get involved because it could be seen as targeting minorites because that style of dress is prevalent in the rap/ hip hop culture. Basically it is opening up a can of worms that is not just not worth it.
Sorry to point out that your wrong about the racial issue.

I just moved from Brooklyn NY a few years ago and before I left, I noticed a phenomena in my son's mostly Italian-American neighborhood. Some called them guidos and some called them wiggers, but their pants were dropping just as low as the stereotypical Black kids of my neighborhood.

The funny part of it was that though my neighborhood was 90% Black, it was over 60% West Indian (or Caribean) Blacks. They do not (in general) wear drooping pants. So it turned out that there was a higher percentage of young males in my son's 95% white neighborhood than in my 90% Black neighborhood who's pants were falling off.

okay so we have a huge epidemic of children in foster care, a war abroad, a deficit, rising health care costs and lack of health insurance, gangs, rapists, drugs, etc. and we're worried about a butt crack? lmao silly If we're gonna ban underwear, lets ban cleavage too, ohhhh and I think pimples are supa gross so lets make EVERYONE wear concealer so that I don't have to feel uncomfortable. Ya! (kidding about pimples, i have a few myself)

okay so we have a huge epidemic of children in foster care, a war abroad, a deficit, rising health care costs and lack of health insurance, gangs, rapists, drugs, etc. and we're worried about a butt crack? lmao silly If we're gonna ban underwear, lets ban cleavage too, ohhhh and I think pimples are supa gross so lets make EVERYONE wear concealer so that I don't have to feel uncomfortable. Ya! (kidding about pimples, i have a few myself)
See, now we are back to Burkas.:faint:

Sorry to point out that your wrong about the racial issue.

I just moved from Brooklyn NY a few years ago and before I left, I noticed a phenomena in my son's mostly Italian-American neighborhood. Some called them guidos and some called them wiggers, but their pants were dropping just as low as the stereotypical Black kids of my neighborhood.

The funny part of it was that though my neighborhood was 90% Black, it was over 60% West Indian (or Caribean) Blacks. They do not (in general) wear drooping pants. So it turned out that there was a higher percentage of young males in my son's 95% white neighborhood than in my 90% Black neighborhood who's pants were falling off.

Tom, i'm not wrong. If you noticed in my above post that i said people from the hip hop/ rap culture usually wear their pants low. i mentioned nothing about carribean blacks who would prob. be listing to reggae. And i'm from Boston, i went to boston public schools, i know all about people who wear their pants low. Maybe in NYC things are different, but you can't tell me i'm wrong because you do not know what my experience has been. I'm sorry if this post seems harsh but I don't like being told I'm wrong about something that i have first hand experience with. Also a few of the school systems here tried to band baggy clothes but they couldn't because an uproar was created about it because of the racial connotations.

I should not have said you were wrong, but your point was incorrect IMHO.

You could try being more explicit, because 85% of the rap and hip hop recordings are bought by whites.

Also, while young West Indians wear their pants high, they do not listen to raggae. They listen to Soca and Rap.

Why would it be a minority problem when whites have their pants hanging down as often as Blacks?