Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Weight Gain?

I was just sleeved on November 19th. I weighed myself on the 20th and had GAINED 12 pounds!!! As of today I've lost 6 of that. My original thoughts were to not weigh at all until my 2 week appointment, but someone commented that I looked thinner already so I was curious. HA

Anyone else weigh themselves right after surgery, to find a gain??

I'm sure it's just Water weight, but STILL!!! That's not what I was wanting to see...

Also, my incisions are starting to itch... healing??

The largest of the incisions made a "dent" in my stomach. It is so weird and gross looking. Did this happen to anyone else??

You are correct that it is Water weight and it is very common as they pump you full of lots of fluids in the hospital. 12 lb is on the high side from what I have seen but there can be lots of variation; I gained 5-6 lb over the hospital stay, but didn't get to weigh in until 3-4 days after surgery, so I may have been higher in the interim. I gained a similar 5 lb earlier this year from just a morning outpatient shoulder surgery.

The incisions can itch as they heal, so there's nothing to worry about there, just try to avoid scratching them; and yes, sometimes there are odd dents or shapes left behind by the incisions - they usually work themselves out but there can be some lasting oddities, too.

The gain is normal. I didn't weigh until a week out but I'm sure I had gained too because I felt very bloated.

As for the dent yup I have one. It's right above my big incision. It was the source of most of my pain, it pulled and really hurt for a few days. Now no more pain and happily the dent is going away. So it won't be there forever. I was really freaked by it too and kept asking the doctors and even posted on here asking If anyone had one. Don't worry it goes away!

Now that I'm trying to think back at what the original number was after surgery, I think I only gained 8 instead of 12... which is still a lot, but way better.

I'm glad to know that I'm "normal"

This site and all it's amazing members have been soooo helpful!

HI,

I was just banded on Nov. 19th and have GAINED 9 lbs.

Going to the Dr. tomorrow to discuss :( very discourgaing!!

I gained 8 lbs from surgery. I thought it was 12 but I forgot what my starting weight was...

Within a couple days I was back to my pre-surgery weight and the day after I was losing losing losing! Don't get too discouraged... although I was JUST there a week ago with you.... You might be retaining Water or something. i don't know. Try not to weigh yourself everyday. I noticed I was weighing everyday if not 2-3 times a day and put an end to it. If you become obsessed with the number, I think it can discourage you a lot.. I now picked a weigh in day, Mondays. Every Monday I weigh myself on my WiiFit. I'm going to try VERY hard not to pull out the bathroom scale between those times.

Good luck!! Let me know what they say!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches