Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Munchie Help Needed

Hello,

The last couple of days I have had the munchies. This is the first time since my sleeve 23 Jul. I can only eat so much string cheese. I've also munched on pecans and walnuts. I know it is from stress at work and completing my degree...finally. Drinking Water doesn't help. My first reaction was to purchase grapes but those are high in carbs. I also purchased a box of Atkins snack bars but my nut said to stay away from Protein type bars. I'm stall so much and I don't want to regain any of the weight.

What do the rest of you do?

Thank you

I dont understand why people are told not to eat fruit. My NUT gave me no restrictions other than high Protein in every meals, 40g of Proteins from shakes, no fried foods, and not to eat anything with 6g of ADDED sugar. Naturally accruing sugar in fruit does not count. I eat fruit all the time, bananas, grapes, apples. My new snack food is freeze dried apples. I get the crispy crunch like a chip without the greese and they are only 35 calories a bag. Awesome!!

Ask ur Nut if u can have fruit.

Are you actually hungry? If not then it is head hunger and acknowledge it as such.

I relate to stress at home and work. I am a senior director at work and I am also working on my doctorate.

If I'm hungry, I eat a meal or snack. If not, I don't eat.

I keep a quote from my doctor handy in my mind for times like that. "What happens if you get hungry?" ......"Nothing"

Nothing happens. You are just hungry. It doesn't mean you have to eat, especially if you have just eaten recently.

Munching during the day for stress or entertainment or to get just a taste of something begins a slippery slope that leads straight down hill.

If you are stressed, find other ways to manage it instead of eating. Join group exercise, take a walk, have a bubble bath, drink hot tea, try yoga or meditation, get a massage, call a friend, write a letter, just don't get back into the habit of eating when you are not actually hungry, or eating at times that aren't designated as your meal times.

Are you actually hungry? If not then it is head hunger and acknowledge it as such.

I relate to stress at home and work. I am a senior director at work and I am also working on my doctorate.

If I'm hungry, I eat a meal or snack. If not, I don't eat.

I keep a quote from my doctor handy in my mind for times like that. "What happens if you get hungry?" ......"Nothing"

Nothing happens. You are just hungry. It doesn't mean you have to eat, especially if you have just eaten recently.

Munching during the day for stress or entertainment or to get just a taste of something begins a slippery slope that leads straight down hill.

If you are stressed, find other ways to manage it instead of eating. Join group exercise, take a walk, have a bubble bath, drink hot tea, try yoga or meditation, get a massage, call a friend, write a letter, just don't get back into the habit of eating when you are not actually hungry, or eating at times that aren't designated as your meal times.

Well Said Delta Girl !

I have a couple bites of "Pirates Bootie" it fills me up and satisfys the crunch - I buy small bags and keep them in my desk draw.

There are times that you are not going to be able to get around the munchies, even if it is just head hunger. popcicles, Jello, grapes, grapefruit cold climate apples are all good choices. edamame, soy nuts, pumpkin seeds. Don't eat the same thing over and over either, in my opinion that makes it easy to get "tired" and not feel satiated. I have done that to myself a bit right now :(

Muchies can be tolerateable - as long as you are still chewing well, and walking away once satiated...measure your munchies just like you would measure anything else.

If you do have an activity to get away from the munchies, try and make it something you can get really lost in, so you arent thinking "this is what I am doing not to eat".

What ever that is, use it, or find it...I make foam swords and get my pet snakes out to play (you cannot eat with glue on your fingers or a squiggly guy wrapped around your hand), and I literally have begin to go fly a kite...and for the days it isn't windy I have a giant shark with a remote control...freaks my neighbors dog out, lol.

now with that said, I have gained a bit in the last two months - it snuck up on me. I am aware and working on maintaining because I want to kinda observe my habits. One is the munchies. My small meals progressed to slightly larger meals and munchies...at the same time work increased and I broke my foot.

PS - fruit is good but I find I have to be super careful with it due to how fast is passes. I measure my grapes carefully because I remember one outstanding fact about grapes in my head - competitive eaters use them to bulk eat and prep their stomachs...sad that I would let that stick in my head but I do. lol

competitive eaters use them to bulk eat and prep their stomachs

/eyes the deliscious grapes suspiciously...haha Pookey, I will always think of that now when considering grapes - not too much of an issue in the fall winter when they arent in season but they are one food that I tend to like a little too much :)

PS - fruit is good but I find I have to be super careful with it due to how fast is passes. I measure my grapes carefully because I remember one outstanding fact about grapes in my head - competitive eaters use them to bulk eat and prep their stomachs...sad that I would let that stick in my head but I do. lol

Wow.. I love grapes..now I will be seeing those people engorging themselves to the point of puking....oh well! LOL!!

Everything in moderation... Competitive eaters also use Water to expand their stomachs as well. (I am married to one).

Do you eat any roughage? Very filling and sustaining, and super low cal.

I wrap a piece of turkey or cheese in a giant piece of lettuce and I'm full on less than 75 calories.

Thank you everyone for your help. No I'm not hungry. It's only been three months since surgery so luckily I don't feel hungry.

What is 'pirates bootie'?

We can eat salads? I thought we had to stay away from salads because our tummies won't digest it. I have been wanting a salad with grilled chicken on top.

fruit is high carbs and where I had mine done the patients, depending on the doctors, are given a 25-30g carbs per day limit with goal of 80g protien. By the time I would eat 1/2C grapes it would zap 2/3 of my daily carbs. I've been wanting a nice juicy apple and a banana.

Seems I'm always messing up regardless how hard I try.

Thank you again for taking time to answer.