Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on 5th Oct 2006, in Australia. I have been given the new AP type band.

I think it is an Inamed band, but I honestly don't know for sure.:rolleyes: I didn't get the usual post-op booklet or card (which the other bandsters done with me got with their VG bands), and even the post-op nurse didn't know anything about it when I went yesterday to have my staples out. I will find out more when I see my surgon on 25th Nov, but until then, I am interested to find out how many other LBTers have this band, and what we know about them.

So far I know the following about them:

• they are either APS (small) or APL (large)
  • they are considered by some to be "the next generation in AGBs"
  • they are more concentric (rounded) when inflated than other AGB types
  • they have the locking mechanism isolated from the stomach
  • the silicone material is much softer than other AGP types
  • they are considered less likely to cause blockage or obstruction than other AGP types
  • they are considered less likely to slip than other AGP types
  • they are considered to be less likely to cause band erosion than other AGP types

Post away all ye AP bandsters!!!

Update:

I found out that the AP band is made by Inamed, I have the APL (large) band, which holds 14ml. I had 4ml put in for my first fill (25 Nov). There are a few other Aussies who have just got the AP bands. No paperwork or cards were issued to me following surgery, but apparently a surgery card may come soon.

So far our AP band rollcall reads like this:

Goannabanda - APL band

Pavarthi - APS

Curley - APS

oldspark - APS?

susannah - APL

feebs - APS

So far we are all Aussies.

Anyone else around here got the AP type band? There must be more of us around now, as I was banded waaay back on October 5th.

I also have an AP band (10ml)

I'll add a couple of details too:

The balloon is pleated to 'grip' the stomach better.

The balloon goes all the way around the inner surface of the band, rather than missing a piece at the locking mechanism.

The balloon is wider. A sideview of the band shows balloon protruding top & bottom rather than sitting flush.

I'm guessing that these improvements would help with slippage & erosion.

I guess this is a question for my dr...I have no idea which band I'm getting! Are there different ones aval in the US?

feebs - thanks for the extra info!

hlayne - there are a few different types used in the US - it seems that many doctors there favour the Inamed bands, including VG (Vanguard) bands which seem to be in common use there. There were the most common type used here in Australia from what I gather. There is also a Swedish band and one made by Johnson&Johnson (which might be one and the same type of band?). Ask your doc, and check out other threads on LBT - you will find many bandsters with different types and sizes of bands.

Gday Anna, Yes I am an AP bandit. I will ask my surgeon for the info card, when I have my checkup with him in March.

Susannah

Hey Anna, I wonder if in Australia if AP bands will become the standard used from now on, or if surgeons will still be inserting a variety of different bands? That is another qiestion I will have for my surgeon when I see him.

Susannah

I guess this is a question for my dr...I have no idea which band I'm getting! Are there different ones aval in the US?

Yep even though the FDA has approved the AP Band I havent heard of anyone who is placing them. Here we have the old Inamed bands in (I believe) 3 different sizes. Im hoping that by the time I get banded my surgeon is placing them.

I spoke with a gentleman at Allergan (no longer Inamed, it's Allergan now) yesterday about the AP band. I wanted more info as I'm not yet banded and wanted to know what the advantages are and if I could request, of even if I should request, the AP band. Apparently it is FDA approved for the US, but will not be available until the summer at the earliest. He did mention the list of differences listed above, I guess the biggest difference that will make a difference to patients is there is an easier release mechanism to remove the band if need be.

The VG band already has the ribs or baffles noted above because of the larger inflation volume of a VG. The VG is also already curved like the AP band. From what I gather, those two things is what makes it "Omniform" technology. The AP also has more of a 360 inflation around the stomach as opposed to the 10cm or 9.75cm (4cc) bands, which (according to him) have more like 260 or 280degrees (the rest being the buckle) inflation, and the VG which has more like 280 or 300.

I asked what that should mean to me as the patient, is this easier on my stomach? Does this reduce the risk of my stomach folding over in the non-inflating areas of the current band? He said he has not heard of many cases of this happening and that the 360 degree inflation was not developed specifically to combat any problems that exist, it was simply an upgrade to the existing band that they did when they designed it to be easier and less traumatic to remove. It was possible to design it that way, so they did.

According to this gentleman (I'm not posting his name because I don't have his permission) there are NO plans at this time to discontinue any of the bands Allergan already makes. They still plan to manufacture and offer the 10cm and the 9.75cm (the 4cc) bands as well as the VG band.

Hope that helps!

I am from Canada & had the Large AP band placed on Feb 14. 2007.

This the band that my surgeon uses exclusively now, since Nov.2006

He did not have too much info for me beyond what has been stated above, but they are in use in Canada as well.

Andrew

Actually Anna, my surgeon informed me this week that I have the AP small band. I assumed because I am big I had the large one! LOL!:biggrin1: I may have to have revision surgery already due to my port coming away from its stiches, and it is resting on an extreme angel, meaning it could flip at any time. It is moving around and not anchored down as it should be. We don't know why this has happened.:confused: :eek: Oh man I was only banded last month. Susannah

I just found out that the AP bands are going to be released for use in the U.S. in June 2007. Sometime around then I'm having a new band installed (my first one, the oldest, small kind slipped) and I'm thrilled I'm getting the state of the art!!

I just found out that the AP bands are going to be released for use in the U.S. in June 2007. Sometime around then I'm having a new band installed (my first one, the oldest, small kind slipped) and I'm thrilled I'm getting the state of the art!!

I'll be interested to see if you can "feel" a difference with between the 2 bands. I have had mine since Feb. and I think it is the best thing in the world.

Andrew