Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any one in utah want to talk

Angeleyes, Do you know what is going on with your thyroid? Do you think you had thyroid problems before your band?

I have a friend who is interested in the band, but she has thyroid problems and is wondering if she could still have the band.

slcmommy!!:biggrin: You go!! I've posted before I added a ticker to my signature. I've lost 75 lbs since Jan. 07, was banded June 07. My bmi dropped from 38.7 if I remember correctly to 24.

Keep us updated on your progress!

It's final. My consult is tomorrow and the surgery is next week. I've decided to go with Dr. Hansen and Dr. Alldredge in Sandy. My husband and step-mother had the lap band done with them, and they have had a great experience with them. I could have done it down here in St. George but they are charging $4000 more and don't have the same follow up care. I just really like how informative and thorough these doctors are. I am nervous though. I have a 35 BMI(barely) and I just have this fear that I won't be able to lose. My husband hasn't lost like he thought. He does cheat though, he doesn't exercize, he drinks soda, and drinks a lot of Water with his meals. Sometimes I don't get why he did it if he's just going to sabotage it. I pray that I don't do it. All I've ever wanted is to be able to feel full on very little food, so it feels like an answer to my prayers. I hope all goes well tomorrow. Also, I would love to see some before and afters of banders. And I would also like to know of anyone who also had low BMI, how much lost, how long it took etc.

1 week before surgery 210/210/130

Congrats on your decision! I love those drs. and their practice. My BMI was relatively low as well and I've lost slowly but I had a lot of other factors going on--amazing stress the first six months and NO restriction until about seven months out. I finally have what I think is proper restriction and it's taken 10 months--14 fills and now 4 cc in a 4 cc band.

You might want to check out these threads--one for lower BMI bandsters and the other is the before and after pics you were interested in. Good luck!

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/before-after-pictures-pix-only-4642/index75.html

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f140/lower-body-mass-index-ers-2008-a-48150/index7.html#post720940

That's interesting that you both brought up Thyroid issues. I actually have a condition called Hoshimotos Thyroiditis which is basically a disease where my thyroid gets attacked by antibodies until the thyroid doesn't function at anymore. And they won't treat me for it unless they catch it when it's low. It's described as a lightbulb going out sometime it flickers on and off but eventually it goes off. Anyway all of the doctor's I've talked to seem to think that an underactive thyroid maybe causes 15 pounds weight gain at the most. I'm not sure I believe it but at the same time it never had any bearing as to whether I'd get the surgery or not. Regardless of my thyroid, I know that 4 pregnancies and eating too much are the culprits for my weight gain.The problem is is that I NEVER feel full and when I have tried to restrict portion sizes I feel like I'm starving, then I'm just cranky and mean, so I'm excited to finally have it done and feel full for once. My husband and my step mom have both had it done. My husband lost about 100 pounds in the first year. He hasn't lost much since but he's not good about getting his fiils, doesn't exercize and drinks soda and Water with his meals. I know he would have lost more if he'd continued doing it. Anyway, Dr. Alldredge said that on average patients that he's seen lose about 50% percent of their extra weight. I decided that even if that was the case with me I'd be happy with that. Also, I think that if someone has an underactive thyroid and they think that it is the only reason they are overweight then I can see why they wouldn't get the surgery. But if someone also has clear food issues and it's possible thats the main reason that they are overweight then I don't see how having a low thyroid would make a difference. Anyway, thanks for your responses. It's great to see the progress you are all making!

I have hypothryoid and no matter how much they up my meds I alway stay within the high side of normal. It does affect your metabolism, so if you overeat well then you gain double what a normal person would. When you don't eat you lose half of what a normal person would. So it's just overall frustrating. However my friend had the lap band done about 2 years ago and has hypothyroidism as well, she has lost all of the weight she wanted plus another twenty pounds. So even though the doctors say you will lose 50-60% just remember you can make the difference and lose the rest. I fully plan to follow the diet and add in a lot of exercise as well. My consult is Thursday o everyone pray the insurance comes through quickly. :wink_smile:

It's my 3rd day post op and I'm feeling much better. The first couple of days were pretty rough. One thing that kind of made me upset was that I was having complications and I couldn't get a hold of anyone! Dr. Alldredge was supposedly the one on call but he didn't answer and there was no way for me to leave a message. I couldn't get a hold of anyone in the office or at the surgery center. That's kind of ridiculous. Also they should probably do surgeries in the beginning of the week not the end so that if there are problems we can contact them. I finally just had to admit myself to the ER. I was having a lot of difficulty breathing and a lot of pain in my chest. Basically what had happened is I wasn't taking my pain meds regularly and because of that my lungs and chest hurt so bad that I couldn't breathe and wasn't getting enough oxygen,so the ducts in my lungs were collapsing and I was at risk for getting pneummonia. Once I started taking the medicine, I was able to take deeper breaths and feel much better. I have to say though that the Lortab liquid medicine is just horrible tasting. The thing that has surprised me the most about the surgery is the nausea and the pain in chest and lungs. Also, I can only pray that the swelling will go down where the port is because it protrudes a lot. I also can't believe that I havn't eaten in 4 days and I don't feel too hungry yet. I havn't got on the scale and I actually don't plan on it until about 6 weeks out. But we'll see. I may not be able to resist. Well Good Luck to everyone.

1 day before surgery

210/210/130

3 days after

210/?/130

so sorry you had problems, slcmommy. Glad you are feeling better! Have you talked to the dr.'s since your ordeal? I'd let them know of your difficulties for sure! They need to correct that if their post-surgical patients can't reach them. That's crazy!

I guess I was lucky--never had nausea or difficulty breathing. They did give me a thing to measure breathing and my husband kept insisting that I take deep breaths for the first few days. It did hurt but I guess it's a good thing I did it! The swelling in the port does go down a lot eventually. Unfortunately, the hunger does come back and lasts until you get filled properly--it's called "bandster hell" because you are hungry and are on that horrible liquid and mushy diet and can't eat solid food. It's tough but it passes and is definitely worth it. Some people feel restriction after the first fill--or even before; others (like me) have to have lots of fills (about 9 for me) before they feel any restriction at all. Patience! You'll do great. Good luck!

Hi i am in Utah and had band in Tijuana with dr. Haucuz in dec 19-2007. The pain didn't go alway I went to dr. here in Utah they found out was in a wrong place. Had another surgery last thursday and now going trough all again, 4 weeks diet, apin and nauseas. How long do you think I will feel that way?:confused2:

my bmi was 32. I already lost 23 pounds from dec 19 but i hada to have my band again last week. The dr in Tijuana dr. Haucuz placed on a wrong place.

Hi everyone!!! i just joined this group! I just moved to sandy last october from las vegas and had my surgery December 27th. I just had a really really bad fill today!! :drool: I'm so glad i found a place i can talk to people about this!!!

so excited!!!

Welcome! What do you mean by a really "bad fill"? Bad as in it was painful...?? I'm from South Jordan, banded a year ago. Who's your Dr. here in SLC?

Welcome, brttnylyn! I live in Midway and have had my band for almost a year. I haven't broken any weight-loss records but I'm happy I had it done and have to wonder how much I would weigh if I DIDN'T have it! It was a horribly stressful year for me due to other circumstances, and I think that hindered my weight loss. Also, it took me 12-13 fills to get good restriction and I'm 58 and started with a fairly low BMI, both of which I think also slows weight loss. So it's been slow--don't judge the band's success by my experience! Good luck to you! Where were you banded?

Utahband, I'm so sorry you had problems but am glad you are on your way again. I don't know the answer to how long you will feel bad--it's different for everyone. I went back to work after 4 days (desk job) but many people say it takes a week or so. Hopefully you are feeling better today! Walk a lot and follow the dr.'s orders exactly and you'll be feeling great soon. Good luck!

Hi are you doing well with your band?

How are YOU doing, Marcia? Are you feeling better? Is this band working better for you? Are you starting to eat mushies yet? or solids? I hope everything is goig well for you! Karen

Could someone please tell me where the fill center is in Utah? I need a phone number too. Thank you.