Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any one in utah want to talk

Thanks Karen for your help. I have Dr. Hansen as well, and you eased my mind a lot. So, guess what I am doing now, having lots and lots of "last suppers." :hungry: But I am getting so anxious to have the surgery (6 days and counting!).

I am also sorry to hear about your dad. My dad was diagnosed earlier this year with pancreatic cancer, and it has been quite a battle. He is only 58 years old, and was so active before all this happened. I don't know what my family would do without him. I think it is tough to lose a parent, no matter the age.

Keep working at the weight loss, Karen and Sandranoelle. When I was trying to decide about the surgery, I really appreciated what was said on this thread. You gave true-to-life information that was so beneficial. Everyone has set backs; life happens. I will have set backs as well, and will be able to learn from you. Good luck! And thanks for all your help!

Enjoy, Trying! I actually had a mini last supper tonight because I have a fill scheduled tomorrow. But since I got restriction on my last fill I couldn't really go all out, thank goodness! I can still eat about 2 c. of food at dinner so I do need another fill. It certainly is a process!

And thanks for the condolences--it's hard to lose your father. My Dad had a stroke at 54 and has struggled since then. It was so sad then to lose the dad we knew but even harder now that he is totally gone from us. I dreamed about him last night--holding his hand--and that was nice.

I just heard from Blue Eyed Kitty! Turns out her mom and I went to school together and were best friends. Anyway, she and her mom called from Tijuana and she had just gotten out of surgery and was doing really well. So exciting! I'm sure we'll hear more from her tomorrow night or Thursday after she gets home.

:help: I WAS BANDED IN NOVEMBER 21 2006 AND I'VE ONLY LOST ABOUT 30 LBS. SO FAR THIS YEAR. I HAD MY LAST FILL IN MARCH 2007. I have not been able to do any more because of family finances. MY INSURANCE IS NOT THAT GREAT AND I HAVE TO PAY A BIG DEDUCTABLE. THEN THEY HELP SOME.

MY DOCTOR IS LAYTON ALLDREDGE AND HE WAS GREAT. I HAVE NOT BEEN TO A SUPPORT GROUP FOR ALONG TIME,BECAUSE LACK OF TRANSPORTATION.

I NEED SOME ADVICE OUT THERE! I KNOW PART OF MY PROBLEM IS THAT I LIKE TO DRINK WITH MY MEALS AND I FORGET TO OFTEN. I NEED TO EXERCISE MORE OFTEN AND EAT SMALLER PORTIONS. I HAVE NOT FOUND A PROTIEN shake THAT I LIKE AND CAN STOMACH DOWN? ALSO I NEED TO DRINK MORE WATER!

THANKS FOR LISTENING OUT THERE IN LAP BAND LAND KRISTINE

Sorry for your problems, Kristine. You sound very discouraged. You don't say how much you have lost altogether or how much you have left to lose. Both of those things might be factors in your slow loss so far this year. I thought the first year's fills were included in the original price. Maybe they changed the policy between November and March when I was banded. I have had 9 fills so far and am SO glad I didn't have to pay for them, since I am self-pay.

Where do you live? If possible, I would be glad to pick you up for the next support meeting in November. I went last night and it was very helpful and motivating.

Have you talked to the nurses about your problems? It sounds like you need a fill and need to recommit to the bandster rules. I remember Dr. Hansen saying that the biggest reason for failure was drinking with meals and not stopping when you are full. And I know exercise is a huge piece of the puzzle as well. Drinking Water between meals is a must, too. You know all this! How can you get yourself to do it?

I really like Isopure chocolate Protein powder. It's the only one I can tolerate--the others are all gross IMHO. I mix it with 1% milk (just 1 scoop) in the mornings and it's delicious, plus it supplies half of my day's protein!

I'm sure there are others here with words of wisdom but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. I'm a really slow loser but I AM losing, so I'm happy about that. You can be a loser, too. Good luck! Karen

Hey Utahns!!!

So I'm now officially in BandLand:whoo:

The trip to Mexico went very smoothly. Flew to SanDiego monday morning, my mom went with me, and we were picked up at the airport by Laura, Dr Gonzalez patient coordinater. My first impression of Tijuana was "OMG what was I thinking", which turned out to be a needless worry. The hotel was right next to the clinic, and after a nap at the hotel, I met with Dr Gonzalez (HOTTIE!) and Dr. Valenzuela (total sweetheart!). They went over the whole procedure, recovery, etc with me, then then I met with the dietician who was also great. Next morning was surgery. Last thing I remember was telling Dr G "please make sure I wake up, I need to get home to my kitty!". After surgery he said Oh I noticed that you had a small hiatal hernia, so I fixed that too while I was in there! I couldn't believe it...can you imagine a doc here doing that?, no they'd bring you back for another surgery and another $15000! They let my mom stay with me in my room at the clinic. All the nurses were great, and even though a few of them spoke little english, with my limited spanish we got by just fine.

Like my mom said, it wasn't the new Intermountain Med Center we've got here, but the clinic was clean, everyone was very professional and I was well taken care of.

Dr Valenzuelas son drove us back to the airport on wednesday, what a cute kid! He goes to college in SanDiego and was heading that way. Took about 45 minutes to cross the boarder and I was starting to worry that we would miss our plane, but we got through security in record time. The trip home was long(2 short flights, SD to Vegas, Vegas to SLC, but it made for a long day) and by the time I got home wednesday night I was so wiped out I could hardly speak!

Im feeling better every hour, down 7 pounds already! I dont have a lot of actual pain, just discomfort and pressure in my chest and abdomen. I'll be happy when I can take a deep breath again! I can sleep on my right side but not my left, which has been a little frustrating, but I know that will get better too. I have very little energy right now so I havent been getting out and walking yet, but Im hoping that by this afternoon I'll at least feel up to a trip around the block.

Anyway, that's the rundown on my banding trip, it was a great experience, no complaints, and now i'm officially ON MY WAY!!!!!!:banana

Jill

That's just so awesome. I'm happy for you and so glad things went well. How is your mom feeling about everything? I hope the trip gave her some peace of mind.

I had my hiatal hernia fixed, too, during the surgery (no extra charge, btw). I didn't even know I had a problem but was glad he fixed it while he was there. It gave me a truthful reply when I had to answer someone about having surgery so that was an added bonus.

Hope you can walk around a bit--even around your house is helpful. It will really help with the pressure in your chest and abdomen. Nothing helps as much as walking!

Keep healing and thanks for keeping in touch. 7 lbs. already is awesome! Take care of yourself and don't worry about losing weight right now--just heal.

Welcome to bandland! Karen

Thanks Karen :) I'm feeling better all the time. I think Mom is better about the whole thing too. I knew she wasn't ever really worried about the surgery part, just the Mexico part.

I've been walking a little bit. Think I may have overdid it this morning though. I went to BedBathandBeyond to buy a down comforter since we're supposed to be getting snow tonight. Been meaning to get one for a while and decided now was as good a time as any, but by the time I got home I was so exhausted! Not having any pain or anything, just tired. It was all I could do to pull the sheets off my bed, I think I need a nap before my flannels get out of the dryer!!!

And I agree about the hiatal hernia part, I can answer truthfully if anyone at work asks why Ive been out for three weeks!!

Talk to you soon

Jill

I am getting really nervous. My surgery is scheduled for early Monday morning. I can't believe I am doing this so soon. I am nervous, but SO EXCITED! I am pulling a late night at work trying to get everything caught up for the week I am gone. I am driving 5 hours to pick up my mom tomorrow, just to turn around and head back to Salt Lake. I am trying to stay busy so I don't think about the surgery, but it isn't really working. :whoo: I can't wait!

Jill - I am happy to hear that your surgery went so well. I bet you are glad to be back at your place. I am staying with my mom for a week to recover. It should be interesting.

Well, I will post more when I have something more to say than, "I AM SO EXCITED!"

Good luck, Trying! You are going to do just great. Are you having the surgery at the outpatient surgery center? I had mine there and they were wonderful. i was back home by early afternoon just a few hours after the surgery. Went back to work on Friday after my surgery on Monday. I was sore still but have a desk job so it wasn't strenuous and was nice to get myself going. Anyway, I hope you have the same good luck. Let us know as soon as you are able!

I'm in Provo and was banded in Mexico. Doing fine, moving along okay. Hoping to reach my goal this coming spring.

Welcome, GraceUtah! When were you banded? You have done so well--I'm envious. Glad everything is going well. How wonderful to be skinny for Easter and for summer--that's great.

I just moved to Midway from Provo. I lived up by Seven Peaks Water park for the past four years. We had the movers come today to deliver our stuff to our new home--what a mess. I need to get back to work unpacking what seems like thousands of boxes. Argh.

Well, it is done. I had my surgery on October 8th, and I am feeling great! In fact, I lost 11.6 pounds during the first week due to the liquid diet. I have gained a little back (1.3 pounds) and expect to gain a little more before I start heading back down.

Only my family knows about my surgery so my roommates give me strange looks when I don't eat the food they offer me. But, I haven't even been tempted. My outlook is so different now. I keep thinking of all the things I am going to do when I lose weight. I finally have hope that I can actually live the life I want. How exciting!

How long until I can start going to the gym and working out? Cardio and/or weights?

re: excercise - start slow - short walks, build up gradually other than that I'll tell you what my doc told me - if it hurts don't do it - I got back on my bike after about 2 weeks and back to swimming after about 3 - your body will tell you what it can do. congratulations and good luck

Congrats, Trying! My doc told me that any weight I lose in the beginning is a bonus but not to count on it so it sounds like you have a nice bonus already. Let the journey begin!

Hey, where did everyone go? I keep checking to see if anyone has posted, but it has been awhile for everyone. I would love to get this forum back up and running. I am kind of struggling (I can't believe I am because it has only been 2 months). I would love to get some tips and feedback.

Thanks!