Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any one in utah want to talk

Thanks for your comments. After searching the internet for about 2 weeks straight, today I scheduled to go to the introductory meetings for 3 different clinics here in Utah. I am so nervous!

I do have one more question for anyone/everyone. How are you handling the emotional side of eating? I know that I struggle with that a lot. I don't necessarily eat because I am hungry. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

When are your seminars, Trying? Good luck. Let us know how they go and if you have any questions we can collectively answer. Get all the info you can and look forward to the future!

Hi Trying 2,

I'm Wendi from Sugarhouse. I was banded on May 17, and have lost 70 pounds so far. Emotionally, I haven't had many problems until the last couple of days to be honest. I've been sick the past two days (toothache) and lonley (husband out of town) and feeling sorry for myself. Anyway, before, I would have stuffed my feelings down with lots of food. But now, that is virtually impossible. So, I'm feeling my feelings and breathing deeply and doing my best. I'm not sure how I would be dealing with stressors had I not had lots of therapy and really made an effort to prepare myself emotionally prior to surgery. All I can suggest it that you take your time, follow your pre-op diet exactly (to get to know what hunger really feels like), and have a good support system in place. Other than that, I say have your surgery the moment you feel ready, because my only regret has been that I didn't do this sooner!

Best of luck, Wen

Wow, Wendy! 70 lbs! That is just awesome. I'm so jealous! Who did your surgery? How many fills have you had? Good for you working our your emotional issues in healthier ways than eating. Been there, done that! Good luck to you on your journey.

Hi Wen, I'm in Sugarhouse too, will be banded on Oct 2nd. Your success inspires me!!!!!!

Jill

Congrats on your date, Jill--it will be here before you know it! Can't wait to hear all the details. Keep us posted, Karen

Hi fellow Utahans! I just got a message from Vivienne at Dr. Hansen's office announcing the next dinner group time and location. Anyone and everyone is invited--you don't have to be a patient of South Valley Surgical. I haven't gone to one yet and am not sure I can make my way clear to go this month but here is the info if anyone is interested. Let me know! If I know that some of you might be there I will try harder to get there. Here are the details:

"We will meet at the Olive Garden in Murray. The address is 6305 S.

State St. and it is in the SW parking lot of Fashion Place Mall. The

phone # is 269-8138. This is for Monday, Sept. 17th at 6:00 p.m."

perfect place to have lunch for a bunch of people that aren't supposed to eat Pasta - j/k :wacko:

hehe. Yes, it will be interesting to see what the experts order. I was thinking of Soup but that's not a very good alternative either, according to my dr. Maybe I'll have to go just to observe!

Well, it has been awhile since I have posted, but I have decided to go ahead and do the surgery. I will be banded on October 8. I am really excited, but a little nervous as well. This may sound crazy, but I am a little disappointed that I am not going on a pre-op diet. Everything that I read online, people have to go on a pre-op diets in order to shrink their livers. In my pre-op class, they mentioned that large livers may complicate the surgery, but did not set any guideline for eating pre-op. I only have a week until the surgery, but does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be eating right now to prepare? Can a liver shrink in a week?

Can't wait to be "in the club." I know this in the right thing for me! I also know it is going to be a hard journey, but bring it on! I am ready to fix my weight problem once and for all!

Well, it has been awhile since I have posted, but I have decided to go ahead and do the surgery. I will be banded on October 8. I am really excited, but a little nervous as well. This may sound crazy, but I am a little disappointed that I am not going on a pre-op diet. Everything that I read online, people have to go on a pre-op diets in order to shrink their livers. In my pre-op class, they mentioned that large livers may complicate the surgery, but did not set any guideline for eating pre-op. I only have a week until the surgery, but does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be eating right now to prepare? Can a liver shrink in a week?

Can't wait to be "in the club." I know this in the right thing for me! I also know it is going to be a hard journey, but bring it on! I am ready to fix my weight problem once and for all!

Congrats on your decision--one week! That's awesome! Nervousness is expected, don't worry about that. You would be abnormal is you WEREN'T nervous.

As far as being disappointed about not doing a pre-op diet, I'd say that is up to you. Who is your doctor? I had Dr. Hansen and he didn't require one. He feels that you can't really do much to shrink your liver in just a week and he's never had a complication with nicking a liver during surgery so I trusted in that and enjoyed way too many "last suppers." Argh. He makes up with it with the post-surgery diet, if you ask me. He's much more conservative than most on the board it seems to me.

If you want to prepare, I think most people go on a Slim-Fast liquid diet for the week. Others do a low carb diet. A friend of mine is going to Mexico for her surgery today and she's been doing liquids for a week as her doctor requested. I think doing what you are comfortable with would be best since your doctor is leaving this week up to you.

Good luck! Can't wait to see you on the other side. You are going to do great! Karen

Hi Utahans! Is anyone going to Drs. Hansen's and Aldredge's seminar Wednesday night at 7? I'm planning on it. This will be my first one since graduating from the 3 months of beginner seminars. It would be great to meet some of you!

It's been a six-month roller coaster ride for me since being banded. Some of you may remember that my father was diagnosed with colon cancer the day I was banded. He passed away last week. I miss him so much but, thankfully, he was able to go peacefully with all of us there to support him. It was a beautiful experience. I was also privileged to be at the birth of two of my grandsons this summer. It was so amazing to me how much the birth and death processes are similar and so sacred.

My weight loss since banding hasn't been what I had hoped (that's a gross understatement). But I'm hoping now with some restriction and another fill scheduled on Wednesday I'll have more success. It has taken me 8 fills and 3.3 cc in my 4 cc band to feel any restriction at all. But I'm optimistic that now with my life settling down a little (we also sold two homes this summer, moved out of one, lived with our daughter and her family, built a home, and are now moving into our new home next week) and with a proper fill I might have the success I've hoped for. I did lose 1.5 lbs. this week and that was the first I've lost since August so I think I'm on my way.

Enough rambling--just checking in and hoping you are all doing well. How is everyone doing? Hope you are having great success and that your life is full of joy. Karen

Hi, I would like to go to the support group but I have parent teacher conferences. Let me know what it is like. Can 't believe it has been a year and I haven't gone to a support group since the first three. my weight loss has turned into a gain. for some reason I thought this would be the answer but It still depends on me and my strength and willpower. darn.. I would really like to talk to someone.

I am sorry about you dad Karen. I lost mine two years ago. I guess it is the age when that happens. It still feels strange and lonely. Wow all that moving. Where are you living now? I am still in Orem and hope to stay here until I retire in 5 or so years.

Wish you could come--it might be just the incentive you need to stop gaining right now. Do you have a proper fill? I'm hoping to get help via a fill tomorrow. You've done great though--just look at how much you've lost. Get back on the wagon and do what you were doing! Easier said than done, right? Tell me about it--I've only lost about 23 lbs in 6 months.

We are moving to Midway. We had two houses (one a little rental for students) in Provo and we felt very fortunate to have sold them both before our home was ready to close. It's hard being homeless and living with our daughter's family but, as my husband says, "Selling our homes too early is a problem I'm GLAD we have!" Not selling them would have been a huge problem--no new house for us.

It is hard to lose your Dad, isn't it? My Mom is still living, how about yours? She seems to be doing fine--she has lots of support from friends and the family. I was always closer to my Dad than my mom but she probably doesn't know I feel that way. I try to be an attentive, patient, loving daughter but probably don't do all I should for her. I'm learning.

Good luck at your conferences tonight. Are you a teacher or do you still have children in school? Have fun!